Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2020, 08:45 AM   #46

If any of you guys reading this knows about carb tuning any help would be appreciated.

Current setup:

Keihin PZ30 pumpy carb
Jetcone style free flow air filter
Needle was set on the top slot so needle was all the way in
Main jet has no markings on it so cannot tell but according to the internet it might be a 108

Symptoms: The quad starts fine and idles fine but does not throttle. With the choke halfway engaged I can sort of get it to rev to about half throttle but anything past that it just sputters. I have tried adjusting the air screw from all the way in to dropping from threads, about three turns out seems to be the right place but overall it has oddly little affect no matter what setting it is in.

I have now set the needle all the way up to see if that did a thing, going to reassemble everything and possibly report back in a while. Any ideas welcome.
Ex:Bashan BS200-S7 `07 Streetfighter-quad

Old 05-21-2020, 11:29 AM   #47

Based on what I've found so far it looks like my pilot jet is probly too big.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:06 PM   #48

I have numbered drills all the way up to 80, which are very useful for determining mystery jet sizes. Once you find the bit that fits the jet, you can measure the bit with a vernier caliper to determine the jet size in mm. Mikuni jets are sized in mm, but Keihin jets have their own measurement system. The numbers they use are about 10% larger than the mm measurement.

Since you backed the pilot mixture screw out to three turns, it doesn't point to a slow jet that is too big. The choke helping things also doesn't point to a too-big slow jet. Rather than move the slider clip from top to bottom, I encourage you to move the clip one groove at a time and see if it gets better or worse.

I've had terrible luck with those filters. I like foam pod filters the best. The type I use has an angled neck and is normally priced at around $7.00 USD including shipping. The carb I use accepts a 42mm pod filter.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-22-2020, 12:57 AM   #49

I forgot to add that the entire neighborhood absolutely reeks of petrol when I try running the thing to the point of making me very nauseous. Moving the needle did diddly squat, neither did removing the air filter. Also turning the mixture screw had very little effect no matter what setting it was in but three turns out was kinda sorta better than the rest. Not a big fan of those filters either but it was the only one I could find with the correct size throat and a suitable angle to clear the crossbar over it. Gonna yank the carb today and take it with me to the city this saturday to see if I can find somewhere with suitable jets, only bout a fiver to see what a smaller pilot does.

Old 05-24-2020, 05:50 PM   #50

The carb is kicking my butt enough to lose all motivation again so decided to sod it for a while and concentrate on something else, so bough some stainless angle and flat stock and made these...

...then used those to make these...

...to fit these. Still needs work but can`t use fine tuning equipment like a sledge hammer or an angle grinder at night. Oh and probly would need to wire them in as well, Ive already done the relay and the handlebar switch earlier so making them work shouldn`take too long.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:42 PM   #51

Nice work! One of these days I'm going to make a similar bender for my press.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-28-2020, 08:03 AM   #52

Best damn tool I've ever made, makes doing the bends super easy. Literally took me about three minutes to make the second one. Welds ain't pretty as this was supposed to be TIG welded so nothing's beveled but that went south quick so dug out the MIG rig instead.

Trying to get back to this but need to wait til the turn of the month to be able to order a new carb and an original air filter as I reeeally don't have the resolve to battle with a carb that's not playing ball...

Old 05-29-2020, 01:01 AM   #53

Well at least SOMETHING in this bloody contraption works as planned, makes the original headlight seem like a bad joke. Which got me thinking, any of you guys have a general idea about the charging system output these things usually have? Wouldn't wanna get stranded in the middle of the night without a kickstart.

Old 05-30-2020, 05:30 AM   #54

Front suspension orangefication in process. Takes a LOOT more paint than I expected as you shoot most of it past the pipes (and I'm pretty sure the first bottle didn't have a full fill) Need to get more to get the steering knuckle and the hub painted too, luckily those are less visible so don't suppose it matters much if I can't find the exact same shade (NOT driving to the city just to get that exact paint) And of course rinse and repeat on the far side...

Old 05-30-2020, 03:54 PM   #55

Marginally better, just need to get a new rubber around the lower balljoint as it was so crispy it tore away when I peeled off the masking tape.

Now would somebody else please do the other side and the rear hubs, pls?

Old 06-01-2020, 06:59 PM   #56

Well this wasn`t exactly a pleasant find while taking the right side front suspension apart...

Luckily it sticks to magnet so it`s made of some (poor) form of steel...

Not perfect but good enough.

Apparently the right front corner has received a proper crash at some point. I reckon that too can be bended back when given the opportunity to make some noise in the garage.

The lower arm however might actually need replacing... I didn`t take pictures of it but the balljoint is totally gone and the whole arm appears bent as well. They do sell the joint separately but I haven`t yet figured out how to swap it as the original one seems to be hammer forged in place so a bit unsure how to get it out without irreversably damaging the swingarm.

The whole garage was getting covered with orange dust so decided to add a bit more flare to the color scheme Weird stuff that hitemp paint, dries up almost instantly after spraying it on.

Apologies for the differing size pictures, for the life of me cannot figure out why my phone is doing that even though I`m shoting every picture withe the exact same settings.

Old 06-02-2020, 12:20 AM   #57

Did you get rid of that cat?

Old 06-02-2020, 01:08 AM   #58

Nah man still there, just moved it under the engine when I rerouted the chimney. They do take emissions from these at inspection and wasn't sure if it'll pass without so decided to leave it in.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:11 PM   #59

Interesting. Any idea what they use as a standard for emissions testing? Can't be too many like yours on the road.

Old 06-04-2020, 02:08 AM   #60

Sorry no idea where they came up with the numbers, guess some big wig at EU pulled them out of his bum or sth. AFAIK they only monitor the NOx emission on these. And yea not a whole lot on the streets. There are two ways you can register an ATV here, first and the more popular version is to reg them as a "tractor-quad" which assimilates the vehicle with a farm tractor, there are pros and cons like top speed limitation, license classification (you can ride one with a tractor license) and the insurance cost is lower, these usually are the AWD with winch type quads. The other version is what I have and that is a "light four wheeler" that requires either an unrestricted motorcycle- or a car license, there's no top speed or power limitations but the insurance tends to be on the high side (don't have one yet as I bought this as taken off traffic use and have kept it as such during the rebuild) There's two quads on the streets in my town and both are yellow-plates (tractors) so these speed demon types are in fact quite very rare.

Gonna be interesting learning to ride without leaning as I'm told on a good day, downhill with the wind on your back after a light meal these things can reach 100km/h.