Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2020, 04:43 PM   #1

Matty`s Bashan Streetfighter Quad

As this forum doesn`t appear to have a separate project subforum I figured I`ll just slap this here.

So a quick brush over/recap from my introduction thread, bought this Bashan quad with the full intention of fixing it just enough to getting it running, gutting the rear suspension out of it and replacing it with a Honda VFR RC36 single sided swingarm for quick tire swaps as the said arm has a 4x108 bolt pattern so it readily accepts old narrow steel rims from say an old civic or so, ferry the thing across the gulf on Finland to Estonia next summer and thrash it & do burnouts until it blows at SMASH streetfighter festival, but when I went to get it I found out it has street legal reg plates which changed my plans somewhat.

The machine had caught fire under the previous owner due to a leaking carb and the idiotic routing of the exhaust mere millimeters under it so the wiring harness was completely melted and pretty much a one big short. I tried my best to repair it but without a wiring diagram it was half guesswork so when I finished and turned the key I wasn`t exactly surprised to find out nothing happens.

The PO had spraybombed the headlight cover black without doing any prep work what so ever and the paint pretty much fell off when I started sanding it.

I had a go at repairing the fairings too but quickly realized they`re beyond rescue due to paint flaking off in many places plus the mid section having sustained fire damage and partly melted so I ended up tossing the old plastics out.

Here`s how the headlight cover looks now and how the rest of the finished quad will be colored (not a KTM fanboy but happen to love the color combo)

The quad came with a brand new Keihin accel pump carb and an adapter boot but it quickly became clear they will not fit with the original exhaust because of the extra hump on the bottom of the carb clashing with the exhaust so the chimney had to move under the engine. Wasn`t exactly pleased to discover the state of finish on these things, FFS I`m probly losing a few HP on this weld seam alone...

Marginally better.

Gotta say I`ve never seen a KAT that small before.

Need to make a connection there or else the finished pipe will be impossible to get off the machine.

Some cockpit upgrades too, new clutch and brake levels&perches, new mirrors, new lower handlebar. Might have to replace the bar though as I bought it as an impulse buy not realizing the crossbar clashes with the gauge cluster so either need to replace the clocks (rather not, done it a few times on bikes, a royal PITA to get working properly) or re-replace the bars.

Bought a .30cal NATO ammo box off an army surplus store for the battery which I will be replacing for a 14Ah one that got left over from my last streetbike build after I upgraded to Lithium.

So that`s where we stand today.

Parts already replaced so far:

Handlebars, mirrors, levers&perches, wiring harness, CDI, coil, headlight, carb, c-boot, throttle cable, quick-twist throttle.

Parts ordered but not yet fitted/received: chain, sprockets, complete new fairing kit, air filter, parts for a DIY electric chain-oiler

Still in planning: reupholster/replace the seat, tape new fairings, have hub spacers made to accept car rims at back for burnouts , strobes lasers projectors etc for the fighter fest, replace destroyed tail light, update all indicators, weld a few cracks from frame and stop rust at places, repaint the front arms orange etc etc etc...

Old 01-03-2020, 04:58 PM   #2

Looks like that will be a nice quad once you're done with wiring and so on. I like the idea on the Ammo can/battery box. You might have enough room in there for so small tools too.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-03-2020, 05:06 PM   #3

The chain oiler reservoir and solenoid valve will be occupying the extra space in the battery box. New wiring harness is already fitted and the clocks do wake up but the general light relay connector was destroyed in the fire and still has to be replaced at the harness end to a different kind plus the wiring harness itself has minor differences to the quad as there are no connectors to hook up the engine start and kill switches but I believe to have identified the correct wires that need some minor re-routing once I get that far.

Old 01-09-2020, 04:32 PM   #4

The emperor`s new clothes have arrived...

There was a huge box waiting on my pickup space at work this morning (I`m a mailman )and the contents of the said box turn out to be everything I expected and also what I feared... First of all the most obvious one which apparently isn`t quite AS obvious through pictures. The fairings aren`t black. Well thay are black but they`re not jet black, they`re more what I`d call trash-can black The headlight cover is the worst that`s just plain grey, luckily I refurbished the original one though now it`s a completely different shade of black as the rest. Buut I suppose after I get a few rolls of orange über tape on it, it hopefully won`t be as obvious.

The fairings aren`t exactly a bolt-on fit either, some fitting tabs etc need some finishing work, deburring and stuff, some holes drilled that are missing...

...and there`s apparently some differences between the model versions, the basic shape of the fairings is correct but those ankle flaps need to be cut as they`re not in the original fairings as well as the fross brace up front is missing, or to be more precise cut off from the original ones so the headlight can fit in place as currently the reflector is clashing with the said brace.

I`ve been sometimes accused of having an addiction to the color orange---

I hereby declare such accusations quite very propostrous and offending

Rear sprocket and air filter should arrive tomorrow, I however do need to make at least one more order as I took the rear axel assembly apart last night and it appears the axel bearings are completely shot (at 4000km!) as well as the brake disc as it is in fact warped more than it`s own thickness. The brake caliper appears stuck or at least sticking as well but as a new one complete with pads cost 30eur I see little sense in trying to revive it.

EDIT: whoops sorry this forum doesn`t appear to resize pictures, gotta keep that in mind henceforth...

Last edited by Oddball Matt; 01-09-2020 at 05:23 PM.

Old 01-10-2020, 02:32 PM   #5

Looking good! Do you have a link to the body kit?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-10-2020, 05:27 PM   #6

Here`s the link, there seems to be two kits available when I post this so future viewers check availability. Seems to be the case with any part on these, all are running out as new parts aren`t available anymore so looks like I`m in the nick of time with this restomod.

The link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/362829523549

The seller is Happy Motor Parts Germany.

New jetcone air filter arrived from the UK today, was a bit of a challenge to find a 44mm filter with at least a 45 degree bend at the neck to make it fit as the new carb sits at a bit of an odd angle much closer to the frame rail than the original.

Fuel line fitted, I do have a petcock as well but that will have to wait as it needs a new bracket welded into the frame. The original tank is so ridiculously small I`m planning to make a "touring" mod and fab a second subframe to replace the twelve-o-clock bar at the tail end with a top box that will have a second tank to extend the range to reach a dear friend nearly 400km away (just hoping the quad can take that...) so the petcock has a two -way gate as if to have a reserve but the other intake will be routed into the top box.

Tomorrow gonna hit the stores and get all kinds of fluids lights etc.

But please someone tell me who was it that though it`s a great idea to paint the engine turquoise...

Old 01-11-2020, 07:32 AM   #7

Should keep me busy for a night or three...

Old 01-11-2020, 09:32 AM   #8

Gonna be slinging dirt in no time. Great thread. Keep the updates coming.

Old 01-11-2020, 04:09 PM   #9

Slingin dirt and rippin tarmac, I've come to learn you cannot register quads in the US, not the case here. Two oddities amidst the rules here are road going quads and there's no tax or MOT for motorbikes.

Old 01-12-2020, 09:43 AM   #10

Where you from? You can make them street legal here, might be different from state to state not sure. I know in AZ can register them but they need mirrors and I think a horn? I just have a offroad plate on mine.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:11 PM   #11

Asikkala, Finland. Yes lights blinkers mirrors the lot, hell this thing even has the most pathetic little catalyser I've ever seen.

This project just took a massive blow this morning... The SMASH streetfighter festival next july I'm basically building this thing for, has just announced there will be NO SMASH 2020. Major major bummed ATM... Don't get me wrong I will still finish it, just got a massive dip in motivation right now...

The friend I was gonna go there with has alreay proposed an alternative event though... A six hour moped endurance race he wants to take part in but is lacking a rider on his team. Gotta say I'm tempted...

Old 01-13-2020, 12:37 PM   #12

I'd be all over a moped endurance race!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-14-2020, 05:18 PM   #13

Sod it, no point brooding over what`s not coming and focus on what is. Namely, the summer so wanna be ready so took apart the cockpit area to swap out the handlebar I bought that had the welded on crossbar and switched it with a Timeless Racing bar from which the said bar bolts off.

Started fitting the dash before taking a good look at it, all faded and blotchy sitting in the middle of all the new bling hanging from the horns so off and apart it came. Didn`t wanna paint it orange nor black so out came the über tape. First you gotta make a template with the clear sheet...

...transfer that to the graphics sheet...

...and after forever of cursing cutting heat-gunning lifting re-pressing rolling off bubbles, two beers more cursing and pressing the corners you got a half-decent gauge cluster bezel, yay!
Ex:Bashan BS200-S7 `07 Streetfighter-quad

Old 01-15-2020, 08:04 AM   #14

You Sir have more patience and abilities then me. Good work so far. Can I ask what a SMASH Festival is? I searched Google but didn't seem to see anything or maybe I missed it.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:02 PM   #15

Karjala sounds interesting...