Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2015, 09:35 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Qwerty, thanks for that tip. Turns out my rust oleum is white :P so since I need to buy paint I might well go looking for the flat black. Also the scrape is small so will go with a brush touch up . The husband's guards have rust and scrapes. I'm guessing this means we should take them off the bike, sand, prime and repaint where needed? The bike was presented and came with the guards in place with scratches and all
If you're going to buy paint, you can look for a small can of Rustoleum flat black in liquid form. Much easier than spraying, because you don't have to worry about overspray.

If you choose foam brushes, pick the size that will fit inside the can.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Qwerty, thanks for that tip. Turns out my rust oleum is white :P so since I need to buy paint I might well go looking for the flat black. Also the scrape is small so will go with a brush touch up . The husband's guards have rust and scrapes. I'm guessing this means we should take them off the bike, sand, prime and repaint where needed? The bike was preowned and came with the guards in place with scratches and all
If going to that level, why not send to a powder coater? Have sand blasted clean then very durable powder coat painted for less than $100. Should be done in a week or less.
2001 H-D V-Rod
1999 Ducati 750SS
1997 Yamaha Riva
1995 KTM 250
1970 Honda CB350
1952 Ariel Square four

Old 05-18-2015, 12:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr21 View Post
If going to that level, why not send to a powder coater? Have sand blasted clean then very durable powder coat painted for less than $100. Should be done in a week or less.
Will take that under advisement - haven't looked too closely at the guards - there is definitely some abrasion and marks on them with light rust - if it's not too horrible, it seems the john deere paint might be the best option if I can find it as it seems to get good marks for durability and not so much fuss with surface prep.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:06 PM   #19

John Deere? Ask for "Blitz Black." Available in spray cans, quarts, and gallons.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldqwerty View Post
John Deere? Ask for "Blitz Black." Available in spray cans, quarts, and gallons.
Sent an email to the local john deere dealer but haven't heard back - will call when I remember to get a chance during business hrs. Will also check Lowes - they sell valspar paint. Worst case I'll order in a quart online.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:33 AM   #21

Quote:
Sent an email to the local john deere dealer but haven't heard back - will call when I remember to get a chance during business hrs. Will also check Lowes - they sell valspar paint. Worst case I'll order in a quart online.
Here is an online vendor I found for the John Deere Blitz Black paint.

http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-D...t-TY25631.html

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-24-2015, 12:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Here is an online vendor I found for the John Deere Blitz Black paint.

http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-D...t-TY25631.html
wound up nabbing a small can of rust oleum flat black while at the hardware store...had to swing by for some replacement parts for my kitchen cabinet *sigh* I figure the rustoleum should be good for now...

Old 05-24-2015, 01:01 AM   #23

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-25-2015, 11:05 AM   #24

Have you tried the Rustoleum you bought yet? If so, how was the colour match?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-25-2015, 01:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Have you tried the Rustoleum you bought yet? If so, how was the colour match?
Not yet. Was going to do it this weekend after getting some riding in but my weekend has been ruined by catching a summer plague. Haven't been good for much of anything as a result which is rather a shame because the weather this weekend has been glorious for riding. I'm hoping now to get out next weekend and then do the paint touch up and maybe the center stand and aux power installs if the parts arrive.

Will get before and after photos to post for paint comparison.

Last edited by woodlandsprite; 05-26-2015 at 01:21 PM.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:17 PM   #26

I'm here to report that Rustoleum Flat Black is not flat enough to be a great match...and yes, i stirred and stirred and stirred it up

Old 06-14-2015, 11:31 AM   #27

Rustoleum flat heat paint might be a closer match.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:29 PM   #28

I'll see if they sell it in a can (not a spray can) - for now, at least the scuffs are covered. while I was plenty aware of all the shades of white and cream, I was not expecting to find myself in a bind with regards to "black"

Also this reminds me, I never did hear back from the local John Deere distributor about the Blitz Black...

Old 07-05-2015, 07:07 PM   #29

Two inputs here from me.

1. For small touch ups, use the torn end of a paper match as a brush. Of course they're not a commonly available as they once were.

B. Although it's gloss instead of flat, I've been very happy with appliance epoxy paint available in many places including home repair stores. This stuff is tough! http://www.krylon.com/products/appliance-epoxy/
And if you want to be truly different, go with almond or bisque to stand out from the crowd.

Jay.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:24 AM   #30

Thanks for posting the good tip on the Krylon Appliance Epoxy spray paint.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220