Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #1

Are they junk, Yes! but by what standard?

My opinion is they are not well engineered, and have many shortcuts, compromises in the design. My buddy bought a Magician for his girl to cruise around on. Its fine for that. I was surprised to see the lower cradle unbolts from the frame. Again its fine for. beginner to cruise the trails on. Better than a grown up learning on a pitbike in my opinion as it fits her frame.

If you follow my posts you will see what has to be done to make a hawk into a bike that can take whatever abuse I dish out.

I a nutshell.. The frame isnt bad, infact surprisingly strong.

No excuses for the bike. except for well it was cheap after all.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:49 PM   #2

By Shenzhen standards they are above average. I've been getting Chinese stuff since it first hit the South East in the early two-thousands, and the RPS dual sports are no worse than the best GY6 scooter I ever had..

Just don't try to use it like you would a Japanese or EU bike for things like commutes..

We should still hold both dealers and RPS to their warranty selling points though.. Going through a batch of bad $500.00 engines will put you past the cost of a good Japanese dual sport in a very short time.. You're not even suppose to have to buy one a warranty is in the cost at all dealers..

Old 11-13-2018, 12:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport View Post
*snip*

Just don't try to use it like you would a Japanese or EU bike for things like commutes..

*snip*
i disagree... i commuted all summer 70mi a day on my Roketa....its essentially the same bike as a hawk/magician/etc... put almost 7000 miles on it.... had a few bolts back out (no biggie, im a mechanic and have craploads of spares) worst i had happen was i tossed a masterlink on the chain... my fault for letting the chain get too loose though... popped off the rear sprocket, shed the lock clip against the swingarm and launched it who know where.... LOL now i carry 3 masterlinks in my backpack when i ride... LOL live and learn...

Old 11-13-2018, 10:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport View Post
I commuted to school and work everyday with no problems. Unfortunately it's too cold for my liking now. But if you take care of your bike, it will bring you plenty of joy. Working on my bike is a past time that relaxes me.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:10 PM   #5

Bought a used 2009 TMEC enduro in November 2012. Commuted on it daily, year round 33 miles a day until I bought a new TMEC 200 enduro in the spring of 2014. Commuted on it M-F 33 miles a day in the hot spring of southern AZ, through the harsh, hot summer of southern AZ, into fall until a lady ran me off the road into a curb on a two lane left turn. I was in the outer lane, she was in the inner lane--green arrow for us, she turned, and changed lanes, wrecking the bike. Banged parts back into place, and after two months of nursing myself back to health (I worked in a prison as a teacher, and prison rules do not allow one to work with broken bones) continued riding the battered bike daily. I put on 6000 miles a year, so got about 12000 miles out of the new bike, most of them after the accident. Heck, I still have that bike, but minus the wheels/tires, lol. Free for the taking, BTW, but you have to go to Yuma to pick it up--I am not shipping it...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Tags
exhaust, hawk, stud, warranty