Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street

Old 11-16-2010, 07:57 AM   #1

Opinions of Zongshen 250 GS 2007 model?

New to the forum...getting back into riding motorcycles...been away from enduros and ATVs for 20 years....looking at a used Zongshen 250GS with less than 2k miles. It rides okay...vibrates quite a bit...sorta noisy. What can you experienced folks tell me about this bike...the motor...pros and cons? My use will be pleasure riding on Sat and Sun...around town...rural roads.

Thanks in advance for your opinions. Brent

Old 11-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #2

Welcome!

I'm not much of a sport bike guy, but those look really good; I like the twin disc front brake setup. Not sure which engine that one is patterned after, but someone on here will know.

It helps to have a sense of humour to own a China bike. The engines are usually really good, but often the bolts, bushings and chains are junk. Most of us upgrade such things, carefully prep our bikes and ride 'em.

Loctite is your friend.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #3

I think that the 250 engine may be based on the honda crf230.

The wiki for the 250gs gives actual displacement at 230cc. Other research shows it has a filter screen like the other honda based enginges and a PZ27 carb like the honda engines.

As for the vibes. Check all the motor mounts and make sure they are tight. Worn chain and sprockets or poorly mounted tires would cause vibes too.

As for that I don't think its a bad bike. Not alot of info on them, but zong is one of the better manufacturers.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #4

Singles are noisy engines and they do vibrate, that engine is some modified version of a Honda maybe the 230 single? Its not a 250 and if it already has 2000miles on it the bike is very deprecated in value, its a hard sell and worth less then $500.00 for sure.

These were taken off E-bay a GS250 search on Google for a GS250 parts book brought it up, I like to see a parts book on any of these bikes…often they do not exist, if they do its a well kept secret.

Does it look like anything else?

Old 11-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #5

http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ngshen-CB250-G

???? guessing always guessing....

Old 11-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #6

There is very little professional level support in the USA for the Chinese bikes, however there is in other countries the UK seems to be doing more then anyone here and that could get you information and help you identify things your may need.

http://www.chinesemotorcyclepartsonl...o_PRING015.php

That is if you buy one and run into trouble with it then you can take it all apart and sell it online, E bay is a good place to do that, so any purchase of a used Chinese bikes is or could result in just a temporary online parts store. You can be sure that there are enough used GS250 in the USA and those that bought them are forced to be hunter gathers.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #7

If you can get a close match to a Honda engine design then it’s a matter of taking one apart and then checking against any Honda documentation, that too much work for cheaply priced bike so it never happens?

Then history says that doing that could result in a product being discontinued and then you did all that for nothing? That bike is OK but not something that would endure in the market, its under powered and kind of large for a 18hp engine. The newer bikes coming out of china will displace that bike in a very short time. It will get replaced by the more modern designs like the twin cams and multi-valves....

But a single well organized parts support for them would or could keep them going for some time? Maybe? That be about seeking out bikes and disassembling them for parts. Why import new parts or even new bikes, I suspect there are still many sitting in warehouses, they are actually complete sets of parts.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:03 AM   #8

Re: Opinions of Zongshen 250 GS 2007 model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harp84042
New to the forum...getting back into riding motorcycles...been away from enduros and ATVs for 20 years....looking at a used Zongshen 250GS with less than 2k miles. It rides okay...vibrates quite a bit...sorta noisy. What can you experienced folks tell me about this bike...the motor...pros and cons? My use will be pleasure riding on Sat and Sun...around town...rural roads.

Thanks in advance for your opinions. Brent
Welcome to these forums, Brent; we are glad you joined us! You can learn a lot about the ZS250GS by reading the following two threads, here at China Riders.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...wtopic&t=11080
http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...wtopic&t=11072

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-07-2011, 11:17 PM   #9

welcome to the forum,

I just bought a 06 gs250 with about 1.5k miles. So far so good, bikes runs awesome and handles perfect. Did some wheelies but the stoppies are so easy with the twin front brake system.
Only problem i'm having is electrical. Gotta reroute the wires from the stator cus they are giving me some problems to start the bike.
And I just took the ugly factory blinkers to put new aftermarket ones and sudenlly blinkers don't work anymore, I havn't looked up deeper enought yet but I hope it's stupid little thing.

Overall, so far I'm happy with my purchase

plus I did some mods to make a streetfighter and it's a pretty mean looking thing :P get a lot of compliments and questions about it on the streets