Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2016, 11:42 AM   #166

Obnoxious Mystery Noise

I found it!...and I wasn't even riding it!

In some of my earlier posts, I complained about a rattle or light knock or deep tap that I'd hear at certain RPM's under load. At first I thought it may have been an engine noise because it seemed to be coming from between my legs...but we all know how sounds travel and the CG motor is notoriously solid. Then my plastic license plate frame snapped off one evening on my nightly break-in ride and I thought maybe that was it. Shortly after, the bike came apart.

Last night I was once again giving the TT a stare down after the brake bleeding....and I was checking the tank plastic wings to make sure that I had them on correctly. I wiggled and tapped on them before I checked the mount screws for tight...and low and behold..."TAP!" HUH? I hit it with my finger again..."TAP!"

Wouldn't you know it!? On one of the lower slip-on mounts on the tank tab, right side....it was tapping against the tank! I took the wing off, slightly tweaked the tab toward the tank, remounted and it was gone. Now the wing is nice and snug to match the other one. No more tap.

I know...this ain't much but man was it annoying. Just the wind catching it was making it tap against the tank at certain speeds and it was driving me nuts.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-29-2016, 12:06 PM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post

In some of my earlier posts, I complained about a rattle or light knock or deep tap that I'd hear at certain RPM's under load. At first I thought it may have been an engine noise because it seemed to be coming from between my legs...but we all know how sounds travel and the CG motor is notoriously solid. Then my plastic license plate frame snapped off one evening on my nightly break-in ride and I thought maybe that was it. Shortly after, the bike came apart.

Last night I was once again giving the TT a stare down after the brake bleeding....and I was checking the tank plastic wings to make sure that I had them on correctly. I wiggled and tapped on them before I checked the mount screws for tight...and low and behold..."TAP!" HUH? I hit it with my finger again..."TAP!"

Wouldn't you know it!? On one of the lower slip-on mounts on the tank tab, right side....it was tapping against the tank! I took the wing off, slightly tweaked the tab toward the tank, remounted and it was gone. Now the wing is nice and snug to match the other one. No more tap.

I know...this ain't much but man was it annoying. Just the wind catching it was making it tap against the tank at certain speeds and it was driving me nuts.
Hah! One of the wings slipped loose on mine too, but it wasn't tapping like that. I'd have gone nuts looking for it. Of course, mine slipped loose because I fell over and the wing flexed enough, but that's okay. Glad you found it! Rattles and taps and rumbles are always maddening.

Current: CSC TT250

Old 07-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #168

Quote:

Weird I think I have the same noise, I only hear it occasionally when I throttle hard. I shall check my wings tonight

Old 07-29-2016, 12:24 PM   #169

I used something similar to this hand held 'Impact Driver' on the 99 Kawasaki when one of the brake master screws gave me problems (the other one needed to be "Alden extracted")... a few light smacks with this tool and a hammer and the rusted in place screw came right out

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2905-8...dp/B000NPPATS/

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:29 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
I used something similar to this hand held 'Impact Driver' on the 99 Kawasaki when one of the brake master screws gave me problems (the other one needed to be "Alden extracted")... a few light smacks with this tool and a hammer and the rusted in place screw came right out

https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2905-8...dp/B000NPPATS/
I think I have one of these sitting around... If not, I'll have to get one! That's a great tool to have around and it's probably a better choice for small jobs like a single screw.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:36 PM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddthought View Post
I think I have one of these sitting around... If not, I'll have to get one! That's a great tool to have around and it's probably a better choice for small jobs like a single screw.
If you have an HFT close by they have scads of them also for cheap. Don't forget your 20% off coupon!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 07-29-2016, 12:37 PM   #172

Quote:
If you have an HFT close by they have scads of them also for cheap. Don't forget your 20% off coupon!
I actually have the 20% off coupon in my wallet now, along with a coupon for a set of screwdrivers free with any purchase over $5.something! Perhaps I'll ride up there today on my lunch and see what I can find. Just another opportunity to put more miles on!

Old 07-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #173

Hbf it is like toys r us for ChinaRiders

Last edited by Jayman77; 07-29-2016 at 02:55 PM.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:43 PM   #174

Emailed Ryan this morning. Screws in the mail. Man I love these CSC guys...........

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 07-30-2016, 02:29 PM   #175

Detailing

Since I'm in Limbo waiting for the damn sprocket, I double checked some torque specs for my final report (hopefully soon) and generally went over the TT with yet another fine toothed comb. I decided that the plethora of little stickers all over the motor had to go, so I started pealing and de-gluing. Made the motor much more clean looking...and then I ran across this.

For you newbies out there, this is a prime example of "Perfect Chinglish". ;-)

2009 Q Link XP 200

Last edited by 2LZ; 02-07-2018 at 12:06 PM.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #176

still better than my engli-chin
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 07-30-2016, 11:07 PM   #177

Quote:
Since I'm in Limbo waiting for the damn sprocket, I double checked some torque specs for my final report (hopefully soon) and generally went over the TT with yet another fine toothed comb. I decided that the plethora of little stickers all over the motor had to go, so I started pealing and de-gluing. Made the motor much more clean looking...and then I ran across this.

For you newbies out there, this is a prime example of "Perfect Chinglish". ;-)
So no power shifting to clear the double bump?

Old 07-31-2016, 07:20 AM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddthought View Post
Yes, I used to have one of those hand impact wrenches ~ they were almost required for working on early Hondas. A friend of mine and I had a 125 Benly Sports that we tuned a little for road racing. That little engine convinced me to be skeptical of small cylinders with a cam chain coming up between them, and virtually no air flow between the cylinders. That impact driver got a real workout on that engine.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:38 AM   #179

JIS screwdrivers work great for Honda type screws:

http://www.rjrcooltools.com/jis.cfm

Old 07-31-2016, 02:38 PM   #180

This is my favorite line from the Roketa db-06 owners manual

2002 Porsche Boxster S
2017 Chevy Bolt

“Throttle twisting geek” -LFN