Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #31

This is the mod I've done recently.
The machinist didn't have band saw, i don't know what he used, but i think it was abrasive cut off saw.
I painted the area where it was cut the inside with black colour so the gap is not that visible.

My suggestion with this mod is
(i'm just repeating but this thread covers most of it)

1.Look for machinist that has bandsaw.
2. Cover the inside with plastic bag or something like that because you'll have
a lot of metal shavings and dust inside. Very hard to clean. I've poured some
old oil inside and that colected a lot of that stuff.
3.Do a printout of Spuds pictures so machinist knows where to cut.

4. Try to do it on the same day. It only takes 5min.
5. You will need a new gasket. You can make your own.

6. If you are removing the stator. I was replacing my old. Not sure
if you can do with stator inside. I couldn't remove those 2 bolts and thats how i took it to machinist.
Later i would cut remove those 2 bolts. To remove them you will need (special tools )grinder, hammer and old screwdriver, or
one of those metal cutters like the one i have in this picture. Preferably smaller one.

I've reused those 2 bolts. Didn't want to waste more time ordering them from local shops.

Try to take pictures or remember how you old stator was placed because few times i was puzzled. :oops:

Overall very happy with the mod and I highly recommend it.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #32

Thank you for posting concerning your success modifying the left crankcase cover, Pliskin. This modification is going to make maintaining your Zong much easier.

I see you successfully removed the stator, but were unable to remove the pickup coil. Zongshen applies a large amount of loctite to those bolts at the factory. :roll: I was able to remove all the bolts in my stator cover by employing the leverage from an allen key socket attached to a socket wrench.

I recommend removing the stator and pickup coil from the stator cover before cutting it. I also recommend using oil resistant RTV to seal the grommet holding the stator wires in the crankcase cover, otherwise the grommet will leak oil. :roll:

Zongshen uses an adhesive to secure the gasket to the crankcase, so one will probably damage the gasket when removing the left crankcase cover. :roll: Therefore, I recommend buying a new gasket before undertaking this modification.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #33

thanks for the additional info. also beware of the aussie professional. it looks like he botched it up with an angle grinder. did he charge you?

anyway, you ll probably find ways to make it less visible.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #34

Looks OK to me from the pictures, and it will function well. One way to clean it up would be a rubber channel of some sort from the auto parts store.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Looks OK to me from the pictures, and it will function well. One way to clean it up would be a rubber channel of some sort from the auto parts store.
I agree on all points. One of our forum members bolted the stator cover to board, and sectioned it with a sawzall.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-25-2012, 03:25 AM   #36

You are welcome Spud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
I also recommend using oil resistant RTV to seal the grommet holding the stator wires in the crankcase cover, otherwise the grommet will leak oil. :roll:
When i was removing my stator i saw some white stuff like a glue holding that rubber grommet. I wasn't sure what it was. But i used what i had which is that tube in the picture.
Plus you scared me when you said "RTV", was thinking, i don't know what i used. Till I went to check in my garage. Was i relieved when i saw those 3 letters on that tube.
I only used it before for the section of gasket that goes over grommet. I thought it was only for the gasket.

Can I also ask you did you use dielectric grease for electric connections from stator to other bits? I can see that they've used that before. So i am thinking maybe i should buy that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingshoen
did he charge you?
Yes $10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Yes the more i look at it the more it looks o.k. Black paint really did good job of tricking the eye. :wink: But i am not really worried about it. It serves the purpose and that's the main thing.
Thank you for that info about rubber channel.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliskin

...When i was removing my stator i saw some white stuff like a glue holding that rubber grommet. I wasn't sure what it was. But i used what i had which is that tube in the picture...
That is exactly the same product I use, Pliskin. I liberally apply the Permatex, Ultra Black, RTV Silicone to the grommet containing the stator wires. Then I push the grommet into the channel on the stator cover, and bolt the cover to the crankcase.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220