Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2011, 03:58 AM   #76

05 DB-27A Project Bike

Ok, a couple questions.

One, should I start a new thread for other problems? Or since its encompassed in the general rebuild that's been discussed here, keep it in this thread?

Secondly, It did run. Put the exhaust on, and intake, and started it back up. Ran for about 30 seconds, I pushed on the exhaust a little because it sounded like it had a leak, and BOOM! A piece of the head gasket blew out of the side of the motor and hit my hand(OUCH!).

So I guess my question is, would the exhaust leak have caused this(or the subsequent plugging of the leak by me pressing on the exhaust), improper torquing of the the engine bolts, or just a shitty gasket(home made)? Gaskets were sealed with RTV Red.

And since it blew, what do I need to look for on my (yet again) rebuild? And losing the head gasket would destroy all compression, correct? I moved the kick start up and down a couple times by hand and had little to no resistance from compression. I hope I didn't bust anything!

Old 07-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #77

I'd call it a combo of a homemade gasket and RTV. It would be best to use a dry factory-type gasket.

I think it's fine to leave your questions here, although you may want to rename your thread to project bike, or something similar.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #78

Alright, I'll rename the topic then.

Could you do me a favor and measure the distances between holes on the top end gaskets?

If you can, see if they measure up to one of these two, I'm suspecting it will be the gaskets for the 250
200cc Gaskets:
http://www.motopartsmax.com/index.ph...2/cPath/21_122
250cc Gaskets:
http://www.motopartsmax.com/index.ph...2/cPath/21_122

I talked to a friend of mine, he said that the gasket should be metal with the paper/felt covering it, thats why mine blew out, once again, something I didn't even think about, :/

Old 07-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #79

Sorry, it took me a couple of days to find the time. This is a view of the top side of the gasket.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-11-2011, 09:55 PM   #80

Got the new headgasket in. Its not an exact fit but I was able to modify it to work. Now there is a oil leak. Gonna track it down tomorrow. I believe its from where I started it without the starter in. But where the oil was I don't know how it would get there.

I suppose this bikes a definite learning experience.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:27 AM   #81

Well I screwed the pooch today. Had the motor disassembled to fix the leak. Went to put it back and the camshaft shifted as I was putting the cover on. Didn't realize it until I tightened the cover down and heard a pop. Snapped the camshaft bearing in two.

Anyone know Where I could locate one?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #82

I have a pretty good idea where...

Can you give me a measurement?

Old 07-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #83

I think a donar may be waiting in a box in Sumas, WA.