Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2012, 03:41 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relic
Is this the same head?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Engine-Cylind...item416569772f
About $10 cheaper, and has gaskets...
That sure looks right. Does it compare with your head, in terms of bolt spacing, etc? Generally, all horizontal Honda clone motorcycle / atv heads are the same, but scooter heads are a different animal. I think that Kato has torn more of these apart than I have. That's a great price!

You might need larger jets, but you'll definitely need them if you ditch that awful exhaust pipe and air box.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #47

the bolt spacing and such look the same, but the casting itself looks slightly different. It looks like cosmetic differences though. Mine has a few finned areas, where the ebay one is just flat. Inconsequential I think.

Might give it a shot 8)

Old 12-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #48

Thought I'd throw a quick update in here.

The engine parts all worked out just fine, and I had it running the other day. Though it's currently without an air filter, as the one that was in it was a clogged up mess.
It starts up decently, and runs well at idle, but won't run with the choke off, and won't rev up. Thinking it might be running a bit lean now with the extra bit of displacement, and no filter. I haven't messed with it much though, since I was really just throwing it together to get it out of the kitchen hahaha.

The gear shifter, I did buy, but it doesn't fit properly. Doesn't clear the side cover, and even with the cover off, it promptly stripped all the teeth off when I tried to use it (with my hand...), so I've still got to figure something out for that.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #49

Thanks for the update!

Don't be surprised if it runs fine with the air filter installed.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #50

Thanks for checking in. I wonder if the shifter was intended for a larger vertical engine.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #51

Hi again! Figured it was time to jump back on this little bike after full size vehicles distracted me for a bit

Where it sits now is where I left it a few months ago.

Busted shifter (it didn't want to straighten)

And bent bracket/pegs, missing peg, missing spring for kickstand.

I figure I'll probably just replace the shifter with one that looks identical on ebay. If I want to get rid of the heel shifter, I'll just cut it off. That way I should be pretty safe in assuming it'll fit, and clear the case.

With that whole peg and kickstand bracket deal, I'm not 100% positive what route to go. I'd love to replace it with something simpler, as suggested, but it's got the brake lever on it as well, and I don't see anything that replaces that on ebay. I actually don't even see the stock style on ebay.

Is there a way to go with the smaller peg and stand assembly, or am I stuck salvaging the stock, low hanging setup?
I can heat and bend it back to where it should all be, but still need a new peg (or 2), and spring for the stand. So that's gonna cost a couple bucks regardless. And on top of that, most of the bracket has been welded back together multiple times, so it's a bit suspect. Replacing probably wouldn't cost much more, and would be much safer, as well as more functional and better looking. Just need a way around that rear brake issue.

pics to clarify

Oh, also, the kickstand is actually only about 7" long, so that's another thing that complicates things. Most of the ones on ebay are of course, much longer.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #52

This would be a bolt-on deal: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Foot-Pegs-Mou...item53f69d647c

You might be able to use your existing kickstand with it. If not, this might be a good length: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Dirt-Pit-Bike...4393b2&vxp=mtr

You might also be able to cut the bracket off of your footpeg support and bolt it on as the brake pedal mount only. If not, maybe you could make this work: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Brake-Pedal-R...item58a08411af

Old 06-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #53

Yeah I was thinking about cutting the mount off for the brake, but that would leave the clearance just as bad as before. In the short term, I took a torch to the whole thing and managed to straighten it out a bit. I think I'll just see how it goes with the stock stuff for now and see how it goes. In time, I might see what I can do about building a better bracket for the brake and go with the cleaner peg setup that you posted

Old 06-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #54

Well, I've got another shifter on the way, and an air filter. I'll grab a cheap peg from somewhere to replace the missing one and then I can see if this thing will actually move under it's own power! haha

Oh, and I'll see if I can dig up a spring to hold that kickstand up. It's nice that it's now bent to a position where the peg is straight, and the kickstand holds it up again!

edit: Pegs en route as well