Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #16

From the "pumper" side you can see a big difference. This set-up requires a dual throttle cable to operate the regular slide inside the carb and the cam mechanism on the outside. The cam pushes down on a little pin that presses a diaphragm which squirts a small amount of raw gas into the venturi as you open the throttle. This gives you a more instant throttle response than a regular carb rather than waiting on the gas to get sucked up from the bowl.

Old 04-29-2018, 03:22 PM   #17

I had a carb much like that on an old Honda XL250S, and it was a pleasure to ride. The throttle response was noticeably crisper than the 30mm Mikuni carb I'm used to, even when properly tuned. That bike started with one lazy kick.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-29-2018, 04:38 PM   #18

So here it is installed. No big deal on getting put on. It comes with a new throttle cable and twist grip. You can see the cable is white. The only thing to watch out for is the gasket and insulator/spacer that goes between the carb and intake. It can be put on backwards. One way it fits perfect. The other way it blocks part of the intake. I changed out my gas tank to a plastic one while I had it apart. It actually took me longer to get the tank on than the carb and it was made for the bike. lol

Old 04-29-2018, 04:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglass View Post
Cool, have you installed it yet? I'm anxious to hear your feed back.
All I can say is WOW! WOW it starts easier. WOW it runs better. WOW it feels like it has 5 more hp. WOW WOW WOW!!!!

Old 04-29-2018, 05:46 PM   #20

I almost can't describe the difference in this bike with that carb. I can choke it. Crank it. Choke off and go! Before, I had to let it warm up for 5 minutes before it would run without stumbling. Absolutely great when going slow then punching it. Takes off immediately. It almost feels like I put a NOS system on it. The overall feel of the bike has totally changed. It runs so much smoother. And I mean as in vibration smoother. I can't really figure how it made the engine vibration less. While testing, I wanted to really load the engine. I put my wife on the back and went down the pavement. We have some pretty steep hills around here. I wanted to close and open the throttle with it under full load to see how it ran. We went about 2 miles up hills, down hills, and on level ground. It pulled every time, every gear, without a stumble. When we got back she commented on how smooth it was. I said yeah I noticed it too. It is like I had put a counter balanced engine on it along with the carb. I have never seen anything like it. I have worked on engines my whole life and never seen such a transition in an engine. I couldn't hardly stand to go down the pavement before because of the vibrations. I thought it was a combo of knobby tires and uncounter balanced engine. Now its a pleasure. Just one of the greatest modifications anyone can do to an apollo 250.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:38 PM   #21

Great to hear, I found the kit. How did you jet the carb, and what are your settings? What is your altitude?

Where did you get the plastic gas tank? Could you provide a link?

I installed the Mikuni in my bike, and it was a night and day differnence. I had very similar issues that you experieced with the stock carb. Really glad to hear it worked out. That's awesome!

Old 04-30-2018, 05:12 AM   #22

Quote:
Great to hear, I found the kit. How did you jet the carb, and what are your settings? What is your altitude?

Where did you get the plastic gas tank? Could you provide a link?

I installed the Mikuni in my bike, and it was a night and day differnence. I had very similar issues that you experieced with the stock carb. Really glad to hear it worked out. That's awesome!
I have read about the Mikuni. I might get one just to compare.

Only thing I did to the carb was put a 115 main in and raise the needle one notch. Set the cable so the pump worked just after the slide started up. 1 3/4 on mix screw. I live near Charlotte NC. Not sure of altitude but I am sure not too high. lol

http://store.orionmotors.nl//index.p...sort=2a&page=5

Link to gas tank and lots more. 12 tooth sproket, tank, gas cap, and passenger pegs.
Just select the RX250. It is the water cooled version in their country but most of the parts interchange. They were pretty fast with shipping. I think they are Dutch and for some reason the shipping didn't calculate right. I had to send more $$. But it was still very reasonable. They have everything to put original lights and controls if anyone is interested.

I had a slight problem getting the tank to sit right. I had to re-drill the mounting bracket hole down and over to get it lined up. Took me longer to find my drill and 1/4" bit than to do the mod. Looks great and all the original plastic lined up perfect.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:44 AM   #23

Nice upgrade.
I'm still running the stock PZ30 on my Hawk. I am planning on upgrading the carb eventually. For the price I think I'm going to try one of these. How are the grips compared to the stock ones?
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-30-2018, 12:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Nice upgrade.
I'm still running the stock PZ30 on my Hawk. I am planning on upgrading the carb eventually. For the price I think I'm going to try one of these. How are the grips compared to the stock ones?
The grips seem good. I have not been on a 2 hour trail ride yet but just around the yard they feel good. Better than the stock ones for sure.

Old 04-30-2018, 02:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_not_a_honda View Post
The grips seem good. I have not been on a 2 hour trail ride yet but just around the yard they feel good. Better than the stock ones for sure.
They just look more comfortable than the Hawk ones for sure.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 04-30-2018, 05:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I had a carb much like that on an old Honda XL250S, and it was a pleasure to ride. The throttle response was noticeably crisper than the 30mm Mikuni carb I'm used to, even when properly tuned. That bike started with one lazy kick.
I really liked the bike before. Had plenty of power. Power just didn't hit a low rpms like I needed. Now it is like you say "crisper". When I grab a hand full of throttle I had better hang on. It is like having a hot rodded version of the Apollo. It starts quicker and no warm up needed.

Old 04-30-2018, 07:52 PM   #27

Its_not_a_honda:

Are you located in the US? I checked the Orion site, and everything is listed in Euro. If in the US, how long did it take to get the gas tank?

Douglass

Old 04-30-2018, 08:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Its_not_a_honda:

Are you located in the US? I checked the Orion site, and everything is listed in Euro. If in the US, how long did it take to get the gas tank?

Douglass
Hahaha! You didn't read all my all of my post did you? That's ok. I live near Charlotte NC. The center of all the NASCAR teams. Home of the Carolina Panthers. Close to the Lancaster Motor Speedway (the fastest 1/2 mile dirt track in the south). About as US as you can get. lol

Yeah the Orion site is in euros. I used paypal at check out and it converts to dollars. You can add all your stuff and google to get the dollar total if you want. I can't remember the time it took to get the parts. I think it was more than a week but not 2. I considered it fast compared to some of the china sites. lol

Don't forget to get the gas cap!!!!

Old 04-30-2018, 09:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_not_a_honda View Post
I really liked the bike before. Had plenty of power. Power just didn't hit a low rpms like I needed. Now it is like you say "crisper". When I grab a hand full of throttle I had better hang on. It is like having a hot rodded version of the Apollo. It starts quicker and no warm up needed.
And that is the result of no lean spots when rolling on throttle. Eventully I may switch over to one myself.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-30-2018, 11:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
And that is the result of no lean spots when rolling on throttle. Eventully I may switch over to one myself.
didn't you have a koso flat slide to put on...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com