Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #31

My theory is that it wouldn't run because of something simple, and the engine was dismantled. A little troubleshooting might have saved a lot of time for the previous owner.

It is to your benefit, because you have the skills to rebuild it, and you scored it cheap.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #32

I'm struggling to get the large spring shim out of the spring pocket. There is very little room, and the oil film is acting like adhesive. I'll figure that out today and mail it off to you.

BTW, now is an excellent time to install new valve stem seals. You'd hate to find that it burns blue after all of this work. I'd buy OTC Honda stuff.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #33

Yeah sounds smart. Ill have to do that. Will buy them tomorrow

Old 06-13-2011, 11:26 PM   #34

I mailed the parts to you today; I expect that they should arrive in a little over a week.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:59 PM   #35

Did you mail them from us or Canada?

Old 06-14-2011, 02:06 AM   #36

Canada. They assured me that packages are unaffected by the postal strike, and it saved me some time.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:12 AM   #37

EDIT: Glad you could save some time, . I see you aren't far from the border but I've never been out of the US so I have no idea how bad crossing the border can be, but imagine its not something you want to frequent doing, lol.

While waiting for parts to come in, decided to paint the plastics, I know it probably won't last great, but then again, I don't plan on thrashing it too bad either, so you never know.

Here's some pics of the progress:
BEFORE:

AFTER:

The color appears lighter in the pictures than it really is, but not by too much.

I still have touching up to do on the stripes, thinking about outlining them in black pinstriping. Then the rear side pieces and the fork covers. Side pieces will probably incorporate more yellow and the fork covers will probably be solid as I expect they will get pretty f*$ked up. One is cracked all to hell so I'm gonna try and epoxy it for a cheap repair.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:19 AM   #38

I recommend that you get that plastic off of the light fixture, before Mrs. Influencer88 sees that!

What kind of paint did you use?

Old 06-14-2011, 02:32 AM   #39

Didn't have anything to hold them up with, and didn't want to picture my hand that is currently blue, lol.

Painted them with the Krylon Fusion. I'm very pleased with the paint, I've read where others say it doesn't stick for shit, but it does have a very long curing time(7 days) so if they try to scratch test before them, results probably will be poor.

After a day in 98F weather, they have cured pretty good, wouldn't ride through trails with them, but they are solid.

I cleaned the plastics with degreaser, scuffed them up with 800 grit, shot a ghost coat, waited about 15 minutes, applied another coat, 15 minutes, another coat, 1 hour, another coat, 2 hours, wet sanded, dried, shot another coat.

Tomorrow I'm going to wet sand again up to 2000 grit, then let it sit for the remainder of the curing time, then give it a few coats of clear, wet sanding in between, then polish.

Plastics are very smooth now too, .

Old 06-14-2011, 02:46 AM   #40

Spud raves about Fusion. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm gonna.

I appreciate the effort it takes to wet sand up to 2000 grit. Nice work.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:50 AM   #41

There's no point in doing it unless your gonna do it right. While I do know its a dirt bike and will see fields and trails and most likely get scratched all to hell, if I'm gonna paint it, might as well paint it good, make it look as good as possible, and take some pictures!

Plus, once the motor is rebuilt, new chain is on, and the plastics are back on, it will be just like a brand new dirt bike, for a fraction of the cost,

EDIT: Any idea what size chain I need?

Old 06-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #42

My guess is 428. I use 428H (for heavy duty), and I've found the RK non o-ring type to be an excellent value. I usually get them for around $30.00.

I use Maxima Chain Wax on chains and cables (via a cable luber).

Old 06-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #43

Picked up the chain today as well as the stem seals. Should have ordered the seals online.

Honda sells them for around $4 a piece. The dealer I went through sold them for $8 a piece.

When your package arrives ill be ready for assembly!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #44

Here's hoping that the Canadian (and US) postal service doesn't let us down. If they do, I'm sure I can scrounge up more stuff.

What kind of chain did you get?

Old 06-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #45

I trust the usps. They have never let me down. The people I have sent stuff to have ( trade that I had a bad gut feeling about but ignored). No experience in Canadian postal service but it would seem as if it'd be in the us by now. You aren't far from the border .