Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #1

My daily rider 1978 DT175E two stroke

I did a quick rebuild last summer, put an RT180 front end on it for better forks and disc brake, swapped in the RT monoshock (much better ride)
and did a new top and bottom end. It still runs on the injector so all I do is add gas and oil. I get around 60mpg with it and ride 40 miles round trip.
Once I get my new project done (My 74 Honda/Lifan Hybred) I will likely be giving this to my 25 year old son to ride.

It Cruises at 55 easy and will top out at 70 if I wind the guts out of it. (max speed limit on the way to work is 45 I think. I have under 1K into it.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #2

I love it. great suspension mods. That's good speed and ecomomy. Better on gas than I suspected a two stroke would get. My RZ only got about 25 MPG, but I really rode that bike...

Old 03-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #3

You did a superb job with the great suspension and brake modifications, Gloud. Your bike also looks great! Is than a Yamaha XT225 in the background?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #4

Yes that is a friend and co-workers bike we where running most of the trans mass trail last year on a day off/hooky from work. I had to strap a 1 gal can of gas on the rack of the bike so I could make it as far as him. (I have a smaller tank and get worse milage)

My RZ350 used to get worse milage too. But I rode it like a madman lol..

Old 03-29-2012, 02:45 PM   #5

Did you recover the saddle? The fuel tank and side covers look great. Your bike is in excellent condition!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #6

Yes I recovered it and rebuilt the foam to better support my 210Lb broken down butt. Added two layers of higher density foam and carved it out with an angle grinder. ) Covered that with thin foam and then recovered. I went with grey to keep it cooler. By the time I was getting to work before I was up on the pegs trying to get some feeling back in my butt. afterwards much better.
Before I could feel the seat pan and it was not comfortable. (big hump in the middle)

We will see how the honda is with a stock seat and cover. (I had to rebuild the seat pan and in riding it before I tore it apart last fall I think it will be ok. )
http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/ for info on the seat work I followed this site.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #7

I was hoping that you'd show this bike. I know that engine fairly well, since Son of Weldangrind and I resurrected a '78 MX175: MX175 Barn Find

In case it helps you, I found that a Uni filter that was originally designed for a Kawasaki KLX140L (2008-2010) fits rather well. You'll find pics of it on the thread.

Great bike! The saddle looks really good. Thanks for the pics.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #8

I lucked out the one thing the P.O. actually did replace was the air filter so It had a new OEM one in it. The engine had virtually NO compression in it when I bought it, but it had A title so I went for it. (mass requires a title for just about anything) I had issues with overheating till I stuck a timing light on it, and discovered the timing was advanced by +10 degs. Burned a hole on replacement piston 1 that way. since I set the timing with the light no issues. (the factory book said to do it with an indicator on the piston and make the marks line up, either the age of the electronics or something but it was horribly advanced. )

Old 03-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #9

You're lucky that's all it was. Just try to find a CDI for that bike.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #10

Yea parts are ebay only. When I give it to my son and if/when he blows it up a lifan 4t motor is going back into it. It is a nice riding bike now but a pain to get parts for. so is the XL175 and it is the main reason (along with electric start) I am swapping it to the Lifan.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #11

We swapped a pushrod 230 CG clone into Son of Weldangrind's '83 XR200R, but we might swap it into a '91 KLR250 that has a locked motor. We have a Honda motor that can go back into the XR.

If we move forward with the 230 into the KLR, we'll start a new thread and share the process. If you swap a Lifan into the DT175E, please share that with us.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloud
Yes I recovered it and rebuilt the foam to better support my 210Lb broken down butt. Added two layers of higher density foam and carver it out with an angle grinder. ) Covered that with thin foam and then recovered. I went with grey to keep it cooler. By the time I was getting to work before I was up on the pegs trying to get some feeling back in my butt. afterwards much better.
Before I could feel the seat an and it was not comfortable. (big hump in the middle)

We will see how the honda is with a stock seat and cover. (I had to rebuild the seat pan and in riding it before I tore it apart last fall I think it will be ok. )
http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/ for info on the seat work I followed this site.
I've been to that motorcycle, saddle repair website before, Gloud. Thanks for posting the link, and verifying that the information at that website is good. You did a superb job on your saddle, as well as the rest of your motorcycle! Thanks for sharing the photograph, and the details of this project with us!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 03-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #13

We need more not so straight forward china swaps.

THe klr sounds like a good one.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
We need more not so straight forward china swaps.

THe klr sounds like a good one.
I tend to sprinkle China stuff onto all of my bike projects. Even my TW has a Zong tank. I don't want to hijack gloud's htread any further, so I'll start a new thread when the time comes.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #15

A little of this, a little of that. 16hp of China power. Done.