Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2020, 11:26 PM   #91

Basic Side Panel Fab.

CAD/Cardboard Assisted Design.

1mm Aluminium/Aluminum sheet.

Mask off to prevent scratches, jiggy cut, Bespoke sand to fitment, wallow out some holes for wiggle room.

held on with 6mm hex head button bolts and nylock nuts. Bought extra and replaced the 4x Phillips head bolts that holds the engine side cover for the 14mm engine turn over access hole.

Close enough. will put some foam tape in between the frame and cover to space out to prevent frame scratching and mitigate vibration noises.

Added safety from reflective surface.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAD1.jpg (38.8 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg ziggy.jpg (72.2 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg alupanel.jpg (46.0 KB, 438 views)

Old 11-16-2020, 09:34 AM   #92

I like how this is turning out! It is always cool to see a reliable Chinese engine being transplanted into a reliable old Japanese chassis. Mostly, DAX/CT70/ST70 (whatever the country you are in called them) with 125cc (or larger) Lifan or Zongshen engines transplanted into them, but from time to time, projects like yours come along, and it is nice to see a classic dirt bike brought back to life!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-16-2020, 09:53 AM   #93

Same here. I like how she's turning out.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-17-2020, 08:26 PM   #94

Shock and Awe

So it was time,

Time to tackle the shocks...

the left side had a bad seal and was weeping the photo shows how the residue accumulated on the lower section.

The stanchions are another make or break used bike pre purchase inspection point of focus (much like the inside of a metal fuel tank) If the Stanchions are not in working condition free from scratches, pits, rust and gouges the treat as non repairable...it is probably best to walk away from the used bike or consider the rest of the bike as parts.

The stanchions on my Xl were in tip top form, just gave them a once over with metal polish.

Lowers got the wire wheel and 400 grit wet n dry sand paper treatment.

My apprehension fixing the seal was unnecessary The task with XL/XR shocks of this era is relatively easy by the method of assembly, but the job is messy.

The left seal was a PITA, I did have to crank up the dremel/rotary tool with surgical precision to break the integrity grip of the old seal for removal. after that no dramas.

The other side seal appeared fine so left well enough alone. and proceeded to refill both shocks with ATF which was factory HONDA spec. my brand (Australian made) = about 7.4 weight.

From what info I could find the volume asks for 155ml per shock... which when cross referenced to the amount that drained out of old oil seemed to be correct.

Rather than contaminate my food contact measuring cup, I filled it to the desired volume with water + 5ml more of container residual. then transferred that amount to a disposable container and marked the level. Then just used that mark to measure the volume of fork oil/ATF.

getting to the point where I can't add any more to the frame due to weight or won't be able to move down to ground level.

And can't do that till i prioritize home renovations to make downstairs space.

Might take on the next intimidating task on the side when time allows....the electrical loom.

Still a way to go, but enjoying the living room ornament for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ShockB.jpg (45.5 KB, 406 views)
File Type: jpg PolishShock.jpg (45.7 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg old seal.jpg (43.4 KB, 398 views)
File Type: jpg new seal.jpg (34.8 KB, 389 views)

Old 11-17-2020, 08:37 PM   #95

Refilling the Forks

The oil measuring method and shocks installed with new chinesium dust covers/gators
Attached Images
File Type: jpg water fill.jpg (38.4 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg Water mark.jpg (27.6 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg forkoil160.jpg (35.3 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg Shockandawe.jpg (44.2 KB, 399 views)

Old 11-18-2020, 01:36 PM   #96

Yes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLsior View Post
The oil measuring method and shocks installed with new chinesium dust covers/gators
This is GREAT man! I LOVE to see people bringing things back alive like that. Awesome work, can't wait to see it finished.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:32 PM   #97

Mystery mail

Today's mail delivery...

I wonder what it could be?

22mm or 7/8 by 80cm wide aluminium handle bar from the Ali express.

I ordered a 74cm from ebay a while ago and was sent a 72cm, so complained and got my money back while keeping the 72cm bar... But it was not quite right and I don't think it could accommodate all the add-ons required. So the 72 was just a place holder.

believe paid less than $25aud shipped for the 80cm and can't fault it, just took a really long time to arrive. Very happy with it considering the original rusty heavy steel bar it replaces.

Best part now is I can make vroom vroom noises.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mysterymail.jpg (39.2 KB, 364 views)
File Type: jpg oldbarnewbar.jpg (56.8 KB, 359 views)
File Type: jpg vroomvroom.jpg (63.3 KB, 361 views)

Last edited by XLsior; 11-20-2020 at 05:57 AM.

Old 11-22-2020, 09:53 PM   #98

Clutching at straws

I have hit a a pickle with the swap. Which is to be expected. Noting major.

my issue is that my used CG250 did not have/missing the clutch cable mount bracket and though the bracket off the Honda 163 fits due to the difference in engine case dimensions it is not in the correct location for functional clutch use/adjustment. the photo shows that the distance is to far from each other.

Not looking at other Chinese 250s there appears to be a mount bracket that uses the 2 clutch case side cover bolts to fix the bracket.

But I cant find anything searching for CG250 clutch mount bracket in fleabay or Ali X.

closest I got were these https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...default&page=1

If anyone can chime in with the correct CG250 clutch mount bracket I would be grateful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cluchingatstraws.jpg (38.8 KB, 328 views)

Old 11-22-2020, 10:45 PM   #99

This is off my Magician, Hawk is the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clutch bracket.JPG (44.2 KB, 338 views)

Old 11-22-2020, 11:20 PM   #100

Hmmm?, where is position of the clutch armature/clocked and length of the cable end/adjustment threads.

Seeing as my mount bracket is the same. suggests the clutch cable could be wrong...

Thanks China Rider 27

Old 11-22-2020, 11:28 PM   #101

Never mind, I appear to have got it functional, a rookie mistake

Old 12-07-2020, 12:34 AM   #102

This is a really cool thread. Please keep going!
I had a XL350R that I attempted to rebuild, and then dropped a valve. Which led me to part it out, and with the proceeds, purchased my BSR250 China Bike.

But knowing what I know now about the XL350 after parting it, and after working on the BSR, I really wish I'd done what you are doing.It would have been so much fun to drop a CG250 motor into that bike. Nice work!

Old 12-12-2020, 11:18 PM   #103

Quick Kick Stand Mod

Took a minute to modify the Kickstand.

Considered replacing the rubber support leg thingy but the contact base was looking well used.

So checked Aliexpress and found this aluminum foot pad for a=bout the same cost as an aftermarket rubber leg thing. I gambled on the Honda CB500 branding but the recess and mounting looked correct and universal enough to be adjusted.

Happily it was a perfect fit.

Will clean it up and spray the leg black but I think we've all seen enough of spray paint before and afters.

Also have purchased a set of Chinesium universal hand guard/bark busters. Which will need a bit of tweaking to fit. Seemed like a worthy investment/ drop insurance. I'll likely show them next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kstand3.jpg (47.8 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg Kstand2.jpg (41.8 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg KStand1.jpg (31.9 KB, 244 views)

Old 12-14-2020, 09:38 PM   #104

Not All China Bark Busters are Created Equal.

So the Aliexpress/Ebay universal Bark busters....

What can I say but you get what you pay for and sometimes you kinda wish you didn't.

The type I chose come under many searches I made sure to get the Aluminum reinforced spine version as some are just all plastic.

lots of colors but what I came to find out is there a various nuanced clamp types.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33032947598.html

the version I got came with these under a 22mm/28mm universal listing I found cheapest on eBay and i would receive sooner that AliX

However I would avoid this clamp type on 22m bars. I had to do a lot of clamp sanding down to actually get it to clamp on the bars. I don't think this would be an issue on 28mm.

I recommend finding a listing with 22mm specific sized clamps if you are considering getting similar bark busters for your 22mm bars. So to reiterate pay close attention to the type of clamps listed with the guards.

Anyway, I had to do more tweaking than I would have liked and even went to the effort of cleaning up some of the manufacturing flaws. The oblong washers seemed useless to me, so didn't use them. Had to cut down all the clamp hardware.

So making the most out of a sub optimal product. You will have to cut/open the throttle side and grip to prevent friction sticking the throttle.

I also had to trim down the ends mainly to allow the raised Choke clearance, but also cleaned up the aesthetics if you could say it has any.

In the end they turned out OK and more importantly might save my levers, throttle and grips in the inevitable drop.

Well back to more home renovations....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guards1.jpg (36.0 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg guards2.jpg (33.3 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg guards 3.jpg (44.5 KB, 227 views)
File Type: jpg guards4.jpg (39.8 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg guards5.jpg (35.9 KB, 229 views)

Old 12-14-2020, 09:40 PM   #105

Busting Bark Busters

Added Chinesium and final Bark Busters fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guards6.jpg (52.7 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg guards7.jpg (20.3 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg guards8.jpg (46.9 KB, 232 views)