Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #1

Luggage options

I'm starting a new thread to prevent clouding up the CSC Sale thread.

I think I want these panniers from Solobox.

Found this vid today:

So Joe has already had his bike over there, Did he have enough time to measure it up for a rack?

Thanks

Old 12-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #2

Got a response back from them:

gosolobox
Hi, Jeff. At one point, I was hoping that I'd offer panniers and racks for this bike, but there simply hasn't been any demand so far. You are the first person that has even asked...

Is anyone else interested in these boxes???

Old 12-12-2017, 11:46 AM   #3

Tell em if the price is right. Usually not what they want to hear
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 12-12-2017, 11:50 AM   #4

Plus when I had my bike there is had the tourfella base racks on and he would have wanted to see the stock racks for the plastic luggage so make them work with them. If someone had already purchased the tourfella kit it would make sense to also get the solobox ones. That is what Eric also said to me. But I really like my tourfella setup and the price includes the 3 boxes and the base racks. The mounting hoops are the standard shape and size that many boxes use also which made it easy to get soft bags with Touratech pucks for quick on/off. CSC has them on sale with free shipping.

Joe

Old 12-12-2017, 02:55 PM   #5

Link to Eric's FB page for his boxes!

Seems like he builds a nice product at a fair price. I'd really like to see one on a RX3

https://www.facebook.com/gosolobox/

Old 12-12-2017, 03:44 PM   #6

His panniers are almost the same as Tusk but with a better finish.

Old 12-13-2017, 12:01 AM   #7

I know there are a few other RX3 owner around Puget Sound.

Anyone free to connect with Solobox sporting standard luggage?

Old 12-13-2017, 12:48 PM   #8

Both Tusk and gosolo offer a good value. I still think that the Tourfella is a better box with a more complex design. The Tourfella boxes have beveled corners that are less prone to pin a leg in a fall. The corners are reinforced with plastic guards which will tend to protect those corners in a fall. I think even the locks are a slightly better design. Welded seams are going to fail before a riveted one on the Tourfella (note that aircraft panels are riveted, not welded). For those reasons the Tourfella costs more.

Peter Y.

Old 12-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Both Tusk and gosolo offer a good value. I still think that the Tourfella is a better box with a more complex design. The Tourfella boxes have beveled corners that are less prone to pin a leg in a fall. The corners are reinforced with plastic guards which will tend to protect those corners in a fall. I think even the locks are a slightly better design. Welded seams are going to fail before a riveted one on the Tourfella (note that aircraft panels are riveted, not welded). For those reasons the Tourfella costs more.

Peter Y.
Good to know that info Peter, thanks for the insight, rj

Old 12-13-2017, 02:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post

Peter Y.
My wife is going to hate you after I order these from CSC!!!

Old 12-14-2017, 04:28 PM   #11

Ordered the tourafella today, just couldn't resist the deal.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:30 AM   #12

Please let me know how you like them. I'm tempted to get a set as well.
Most others seem to be pleased with the quality.

I have never seen any decent close up pictures of them or the mounting racks. Also dimesions of the cases as well as the overall width when mounted to the bike would nice to know too.

I think they'd make a great christmas present.!

Old 12-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #13

I've had a set for 14 months. They've held up really well and that included a couple of falls and they didn't fall apart. They are waterproof and I know living in the PNW!!! The top case is 40 liters and holds my full face adventure helmet with a visor just fine and measures 15L x 13W x 12.5H, the side cases are 36 liters and measure 17L x 8W x 16.25H. Here is a link to their blog on the view of the base rack mounts: http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=17316. Once you get them you "may" have to make one modification to the base rack...but it's an easy one. If you have a 2016 or beyond RX3 Zong changed suppliers for the rear blinkers on the bike...they are wider than the 2015's so the base rack will cause the indicator to rub and get pushed a bit by the luggage on the non-exhaust side. There is an easy fix by replacing the stock bolt that comes with the kit with a longer one and a couple of nuts....see the picture. The on/off uses a clone of the Touratech pucks and only takes a second to put them on and off. I like this as I purchased Giant Loop Round the World panniers and they come with the option for Touratech pucks so my soft luggage connects exactly the same was as my hard luggage....NICE! I use hard luggage around town and long road trips...soft luggage for offroad adventures. The other thing to be aware of is for the top box, the 4 pucks that slide into the keyhole mounts on the base rack are made of plastic even though it looks like metal. If you do bouncy offroad stuff with the top box on those can break and send the top box tumbling down the trail....don't ask how I know :0). I ended up using a dremel and cutting the bottom portion of the tabs off and replacing them with longer bolts, stainless steel washer and nylon lock nut which I then covered with hot melt glue so I don't scratch stuff when I set them down...now it's all good! As far as the width goes, with the cases being 8" wide and from the pictures you can see the standoff from the bike it should give you a good idea of the overall width. Hopefully the pictures and this info helps. Take it easy!

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6437.jpg (90.9 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0170.jpg (80.5 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled picture.jpg (19.5 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5128.jpg (91.1 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5127.jpg (86.8 KB, 311 views)

Old 12-16-2017, 01:30 PM   #14

Thanks for the info. Mine get here Wednesday. Merry Xmas to me.

We'll see how long it takes the wife to notice them...

Old 12-16-2017, 01:42 PM   #15

My wife doesn't like the motorcycle so she doesn't look at it. That has meant that as I've added stuff to it she has never noticed. I've even asked her if she saw X or Y and she said no. Lucky me!!!