Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #1

New BMS Ranch Pony 500 carb. problem

Hello,first time poster and so glad this forum is here!

As everyone knows, BMS is NOT easy to deal with in any way, shape, or form.
I purchase the UTV back in May and received a month later. The advertisement stated it to be 58" wide and turned out to be much more....I purchase a new trailer(before the UTV arrived) from HD that was wider than the stated specs and guess what...didn't fit...not happy much. So after work I was able to modify the trailer to accommodate the machine, not a huge deal, but taking a plasma cutter and torch to brand new trailer was not to my liking.

Well with that dealt with, and the machine together and "running" I was finally able to get it home where I could test run it. The choke knob went south the first time using it. It don't stay out when you pull it out, no clicking sound etc.
Not a big deal if I have to hold it out to start the unit....but the unit won't start with it out. It starts with it in.

I took it for a short 5 -10min run on a local dirt road after warmed up and could tell that the carb setting was off a touch so I went on the net to seek info on the settings. Now it's August and the thing is still sitting on the carport with 6 miles on it. It will start and idle with no choke, can't touch the choke or it stalls, can't touch the throttle or it stalls.

I adjusted the idle to 1100-1200 which is really smooth. If I go lower it don't sound correct...I ran the thumb screw all the way in and then out 3 turns, then adjusted the throttle linkage to get this adjustment. No other screws were touched.

I can, after it is warmed up, very slowly up the throttle to get a near full throttle response, but if I step on it to rev it up it either dies or spits n sputters then dies. On the passenger side of the carb (Mikuni E-16 I think it is) there is a cap that looks like a sewing thimble...is that the adjustment screw (air/fuel) that I need to deal with or just a dummy cap for a different application for that carb? I also have seen the air/fuel on the bottom of the carb in the float area. I'm lost hear, imho it needs more fuel is how it's acting...NOTE: a sparkplug check shows a dry black carbon.

I didn't mention that BMS did not send the $550 plow yet nor did I receive the advertised full enclosure. Have been around and around with them about that and they stated in writing on my account page that it would be here July 14th...another call and they told me to call my CC and have it charged back for the plow, not a big deal as long as it works out that way, I will purchase a plow elsewhere. Now the full enclosure I want! It was advertised to come with it, it was a selling point to me, I will keep fighting for that you betcha.

I've rambled enough here, thanks for taking the time to read it and would be happy for any and all ideas to help get my unit going as it should.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:06 AM   #2

Maybe similar to Suzuki cuz the engine is 87.5*82...

Old 08-21-2016, 03:22 PM   #3

as for carb settings, sounds to me like its too rich....black plug and no use of choke usually is a vrey rich condition, add to it that you can't gas it, its probably flooding out.... try to get the carb leaner with the adjustment screws?

Old 08-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #4

Thanks for the input guys. There was a problem though inside the carb. To begin with, the float bowl as you know has 4 screws holding it on, but on this Mikuni it is only held on with 3 screws and what looked like a screwed in rivet that was a bugger to remove. I have a mechanic friend that removed it with a little dremmel work. He removed the idle jet and found a curly-q of brass inside that partially covered the smaller hole at the end of the jet! The float also needed a slight adjustment. After further review, all looked ok.

The air/fuel mix screw according to what he found on the net was to be out 3 to 3 1/2 turns for a starting point which seems ok for now. At first start with a cold engine, I was able to choke to start and it was ok for a few seconds, but I think I may need to turn the mixture screw in a little more for the choke to work more correctly.

I took it for a run and all was good

Old 08-25-2016, 10:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman_gamer View Post
Thanks for the input guys. There was a problem though inside the carb. To begin with, the float bowl as you know has 4 screws holding it on, but on this Mikuni it is only held on with 3 screws and what looked like a screwed in rivet that was a bugger to remove. I have a mechanic friend that removed it with a little dremmel work. He removed the idle jet and found a curly-q of brass inside that partially covered the smaller hole at the end of the jet! The float also needed a slight adjustment. After further review, all looked ok.

The air/fuel mix screw according to what he found on the net was to be out 3 to 3 1/2 turns for a starting point which seems ok for now. At first start with a cold engine, I was able to choke to start and it was ok for a few seconds, but I think I may need to turn the mixture screw in a little more for the choke to work more correctly.

I took it for a run and all was good
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~