Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #1

New from Columbia, SC

New member from Columbia, SC. Just getting back into riding after 8 years. I got my old bike back from the shop. It's a 1986 Yamaha Radian 600 with 5000 miles on it. Looking into a second bike and wondering what China has to offer now that the Japanese bikes are crazy expensive. They are three times the price while cars haven't even doubled. Course the hawk 250 is high on my list, and I came here to learn more and see if the bike is reliable and viable. Also interested in other models and maybe a mini bike for the kids and I to enjoy around the house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170620_210216.jpg (56.8 KB, 105 views)

Old 06-22-2017, 04:55 PM   #2

Welcome....question is, what do you expect it to do. if you are looking to abuse a dirt bike in an MX fashion, you'll be disappointed. if you want something to just go have fun, they are pretty good.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:12 PM   #3

I'm 45 and no hot dog. Just cruise at 50 on the road, and drive down dirt roads and trails. I wouldn't abuse a bike like this. No jumping. Why are these cheaper than the cool little bikes I want for my kids. Like the SSR Razkull that thing is almost $2000. Nope. I do also need help finding something tiny for the kids.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:53 PM   #4

Welcome aboard.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

Old 06-22-2017, 08:50 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum! I have a Radian and it's the same color too! I have a 2016 Hawk 250. It's not bad, but read all the problems and choose your dealer wisely! If you are into the Honda Grom, they have a few clones that are decent.

Good luck and keep us posted!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 06-22-2017, 09:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
I'm 45 and no hot dog. Just cruise at 50 on the road, and drive down dirt roads and trails. I wouldn't abuse a bike like this. No jumping. Why are these cheaper than the cool little bikes I want for my kids. Like the SSR Razkull that thing is almost $2000. Nope. I do also need help finding something tiny for the kids.
They're cheaper because the quality isn't quite as good and labor is crazy cheap in China.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:14 PM   #7

Welcome aboard..... And that Yamaha is still a great looking street bike...

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-22-2017, 10:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
They're cheaper because the quality isn't quite as good and labor is crazy cheap in China.
that's true, but then again, you can get a brand new china bike parts for just a few dollars. it costs $49.95 to say the word "honda".

Old 06-23-2017, 12:46 PM   #9

Welcome, Shahram72! It sounds like you already have a reasonable expectation of a China bike. Most of us dial them in to work out the details and then enjoy them for what they are.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-23-2017, 12:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
that's what I do with mine. I am very happy with mine. go into it with your eyes open and don't expect perfection like the japanese build. mine seems to meet my needs though. fit/finish is a bit underwhelming, but there's nothing risky about them that I have found. for the price, they just can't be beat in my book.

Regarding the kids versions, and is true with different chinabike builders, the quality does range quite a bit and that drives their prices. some are closer to japanese quality than others. generally price is the indicator. I'm likely going to get this one for my grandson. he is 11.
http://www.powersportsmax.com/produc...G6XBoCOaXw_wcB

some of the more expensive ones have things like inverted forks and better quality wheels so they don't dent or bend so easily. those are all factors.

Old 06-23-2017, 06:29 PM   #11

New 250 Hawk Owner - Arizona

I am old now (68) but riding since I was 14 (In the movie "Alice's Restaurant" Ha Ha. Bought the hawk to check livestock and horses on open range land in the middle of nowhere to ensure they have grazing and water despite little rain and 105 degree temps here.

Have had many bikes over the years including an Enfield Bullet 500 that wasn't near the quality of this bike. For my needs it is perfect and comes out of the box as a very capable trials bike.

Waiting for the 30 MM Mikuni as I write this and I should be set although it doesn't run too bad considering the 3800 ft altitude.

We live in Rio Rico AZ, between Tucson and Nogales off I-19. Any others close give a holler ! Robert - Tatanka01

Old 06-23-2017, 08:46 PM   #12

I had the exact same Radian same year and color.

/

Old 06-23-2017, 09:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo in wv View Post
that's true, but then again, you can get a brand new china bike parts for just a few dollars. it costs $49.95 to say the word "honda".
I own a 2014 Honda CB500X. The parts prices are fairly good but labor at my dealer is a rip. It's a good thing i do all my own work.