Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2018, 11:26 PM   #1

New 2018 Hawk Prep

Howdy fellers,

Going on 3 weeks having the Hawk and prepping everything I can think of from the vast knowledge here on the forum. This is what I've done so far (not in any particular order)
--change oil
--adjusted valve lash (cold engine) 0.002" intake and 0.003" exhaust
--stock carb mods (2 shims on needle, drilled pilot to 0.018", 110 main, A/F screw 1 1/2 turns out)
--checked most all bolts and used lock-tite
--cleaned rotors/calipers
--air box mod (with a few more 1/2" holes drilled around opening)
--K&N filter (oil-less)
--gutted catalytic converter, drilled 1/4" holes in first baffle plate in muffler(might drill into 2nd baffle plate, we'll see)
--greased both axle shafts and swingarm shaft
--added more grease to bearings in front and rear hubs
--cut/trimmed chain slider
--LED lights front and rear, blinkers also with LED flasher
--new spark plug DR8EIX #2202 with 0.028" gap
--greased both ends of the speedo cable and oiled cable
--oiled clutch cable
--checked spokes and trued rims
--added a few personal touch items like the burrito tube, machete, small shovel, large tool bag on top of rear fender, trimmed off hump on seat foam and gonna add one layer of carpet under padding on top of foam.

Off the top of my head, that's all I can think of. Still waiting on my 40T rear sprocket to come in and the bike should be ready to ride. I'll keep the 15T counter sprocket for now, if need more highway gearing, a 16T or 17T is an easy change.

I have done three 10 minute heat cycles (waiting for a complete cool-down of engine before the next) with the engine just idling, of course a few blips of the throttle, too. I will say, this is one smooth running engine, and a very quiet valve-train, sounds like a "sewing machine". Can't wait to get it on the road/dirt!

The forks will be the last to do, I know they have to be done with me weighing in at 225lbs. Looks like I will give 15W fork oil a try (I've also had good luck with 5W-20 full synthetic Mobil One motor oil on damper rod forks) and @ 25mm preload spacer in each leg. Start with stock oil levels/amounts and go from there adding/subtracting to my liking.

I have rambled on too long...I'll get some pics of the bike up here soon.

Have a good one,

Kirk