Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2019, 09:56 PM   #1

TaoTao 50cc ATM 50A1 Gas Scooter Moped + gallery + riding footage

Worked for 4 miles, then It died (started, but kept stalling when I gave it some gas). I had to buy a new carburetor and change it. Now it runs great. The one that came with the moped had ruined screws, so the factory forces people to buy a new one.

Looks like I have to buy a new carburetor for my 250cc Apollo too. It's almost like they sell these with dirty/bad carburetors to make people buy a new one. Are the carburetors are made by the same company or something?

Old 10-20-2019, 12:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevet40 View Post
carburetor . . had ruined screws

Old 10-20-2019, 12:35 PM   #3

Initially change engine oil frequently to flush out the metallic glitter . . 15W-40 works fine.

If gas cap is exposed to rain/snow between uses, might be prudent to add a little Iso-Heet to the gas.

If hard to start, check valve clearance.

Old 12-07-2019, 03:50 PM   #4

Got a new carburetor for 30 bucks. I even got a sparkplug and a few other things with it, free shipping.

Took out the old carburetor, installed the new one, did let it stay for a few days, the moped works since then. The old one indeed had ruined screws, so it's impossible to clean it, as there is no way to take it apart. But the new one is pretty nice and the moped is running well with it.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:47 AM   #5

Some update.

I did ride over 200 km with it. (130 miles)

The battery is dead, but whatever, the kickstart works for now. The ignition part sometimes pushes down or IDK, the key stuck in it. Not a big issue, but kinda annoying when it happens.

The Kickstarter is ok, however, under 50 F, it gets difficult to start the moped. When It's over 60 F, it starts without any issues. When it's 50 F or under, It gets tricky, I have to mess around with it, pulling the throttle to max + break and it usually starts then after a few tries. I did ride in 32 F too, it works, but it's way better if the weather is warm. I guess it's just not made for freezing cold temperatures.

Anyway, so far, 130 miles in it with the new carburetor and it works alright. Planning to put way more in it, as the spring is here.

Old 09-22-2023, 03:59 PM   #6

Almost 2,000 miles... but I got a flat rear/back tire today. Trying to figure out what tube the tire needs... Any tips? 10 inches rim, so I guess it's 10" x 3.5" ? It's not in the manual and I can't find any info about it.

Tags
moped, scooter, taotao, video, youtube