Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2015, 11:49 PM   #31

On my TAO Tao 150D where are the the gear oil drain and fill screw? are they on the black cover? Are they just to the rear of the black cover (not chain side) I assume the drive belt is behind this cover. Thanks. Great pics by the way.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:49 AM   #32

I don't actually measure the gear oil that I add; I just squirt it into the fill hole until it runs out. This video will answer your questions:

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-21-2015, 10:27 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I don't actually measure the gear oil that I add; I just squirt it into the fill hole until it runs out. This video will answer your questions:

Thank you for the info. I change it today. when I drained it didn't cover the bottom of the drain pan. I didn't realize it had gear oil when I first bought is so it still had the Chinese stuff in it. Its got fresh now. Thanks a bunch for the info.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:12 AM   #34

You're welcome. It might be wise to flush it out with some Varsol as I did.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-16-2015, 03:57 AM   #35

Nice looking work there.

Thought I'd pop in and thread bomb.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:44 PM   #36

Sorry, who are you?

Old 08-17-2015, 04:22 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Sorry, who are you?

Old 09-24-2015, 11:37 AM   #38

Got the last bit done. Bought an AGM battery from Walmart, and then proceeded to build a box for it. I wanted to stuff the largest battery into the space that I could, since there is no kickstart on this engine (yet).

I had a bunch of flat plate scraps, and was trying to sort out how to weld it to the round tube subframe, without it looking too hillbilly. I decided to notch some 3/4' square tube I have, and weld that to the frame, making it much easier to weld flat plate to.

This is how I notched the square tube.

Name:  Tube notch.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  97.4 KB

I then welded the bridge into the subframe. This pic shows it mocked-up, ready for welding.

Name:  Bridge Mock-up.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  94.1 KB

I then welded two more pieces of notched square tube to the subframe, and began to stitch some plate to it.

Name:  Box Start.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  92.5 KB

This is pretty much the final product. Some grinding and some paint will follow. Forum member AtomicWedgie says he has some rubber mat that I can have for the bottom of the box, to protect the battery from excessive vibration.

Name:  Box Complete.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  91.2 KB

Old 09-24-2015, 11:47 AM   #39

Linda popped by after work, and she and I put the body back on the frame. She started it up and giggled as she rode it around the back yard several times. She is delighted.

The next step is to finish the trailer I'm building for her, and then to haul the whole deal to her place. We can paint everything inside her insanely clean garage, where it will be warm in the winter.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:23 PM   #40

Nice write-up Weld, you know that kinda looks like my yamoto, You might need to take that gearbox apart and weld up the shaft and make it a forward only...lol...Kidding, still have the Yamoto but the starter gave out. where do you guys purchase your parts from I see some real cheap parts but not sure about the website.....and Suggestions?

Old 02-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #41

I've only ever bought parts on eBay, by using generic search terms (rather than a brand name).

Old 02-09-2016, 10:53 AM   #42

As an update, I just received a new carb kit for Linda's quad, since the needle and seat were leaking. I'll install that soon.

As well, Linda is not going to need the trailer I built, as she just bought a new F-150 to pull a new Rockwood hard-wall tent trailer. The quad will fit in the truck just fine.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #43

These are cool little trailers.

Name:  Linda's Rockwood.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  94.2 KB

Old 02-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #44

Very. I have a 97 Fleetwood (Coleman) pop-up with a shot ABS top. This would cure my ills. Rockwood makes very solid trailers from my experience.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350