Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2019, 10:19 PM   #1

Looking for Feedback in the Coolster 110cc, Coolster 125cc, & Apollo Commander 110cc

I am looking to buy my boys their first ATV. My oldest is 6 and he’s about 3.5 feet tall. Originally, I was thinking of dirtbikes for them, but the youngest is only 4 and I don’t think he can handle a dirt bike. Plus, my wife is much comfortable with them being on 4 wheels than 2.

I came across 3 atv’s that I’m considering and was looking for feedback on them.

1. Is the Coolster 125 too big for a kid this age and size? I like the looks of it and I was thinking it might last longer, as far as size goes...they wouldn’t outgrow it.

2. I like the price of the Coolster 110, but not the looks (e.g. the single headlight). I know this one is a generic one that’s available from several different companies with different model names. Is the size of this one more appropriate?

3. I really like the looks of the Apollo commander 110, but it’s quite a bit more $ than the Coolster 110cc. And, it’s even more than, or about the same price as the Coolster 125cc. My thinking with this one over the Coolster 110 was more cosmetic; it’s much better looking.

4. Any known issues with either of these 3?

5. Should I order from Tx Powersports?

*Just kidding! I’d never again!

Old 04-12-2019, 04:40 PM   #2

I started both of my boys on the 110. Bought it new in 2009, and my 8 year old is still riding it. Overall it's been a good machine with a few quirks. The suspension is very stiff for the size of the machine. I weigh 200 lbs, and it barely squats with me on it. It doesn't have much ground clearance- it will get stuck taking it through mud or off trail. Positives- it has plenty of power, it surprised me when I got it. I think it is a good choice for kids under 10. The 125 is a lot bigger, and I would be worried that small kids could have a hard time controlling it once they start to get "brave". Both of my sons have rolled and crashed the 110. It's light enough to kind of throw out of the way and bail when it gets away from you.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:57 AM   #3

I have the Coolster 110 and 125 (3125R). As stated both have their quirks. They roll over fairly easy without widening the stance with wheel spacers. They tend to idle rough and die frequently as the existing carbs are non-adjustable. Suspension is very stiff and unforgiving. Steering is also stiff and hard to turn with existing components. Stock battery is weak and causes engine to cut out with the headlights on. Thumb throttle is VERY difficult to use by smaller kids. Plenty of power. Speed control is a great feature.

The 125 can be made more ridable with a few mods. Here are the mods I have made: Keihin carb, Uni air filter, upgraded coil, NGK spark plug, twist throttle conversion with speed control, handlebars with handlebar pad, aftermarket battery. Was going to upgrade the shocks but my boy moved on to a CRF50. ALWAYS run with non-ethanol fuel!!!!

Parts are cheap and easily had. My grandson was riding the 125 at age 5. I like the Coolster machines, but they are unrefined in their stock form.

While I do not have any regrets, I am starting my 4 year old grandson on the Yamaha PW50 with training wheels (dirt bike) as it is much easier to control than the Coolster machines.