Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2019, 08:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Did your bike come with a remote start? If so try starting it with it. Could be something with the alarm system killing the spark.
No, no remote start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancadam View Post
These are the kind of risk and challenges we accept when buying these bikes. Some of use get very lucky, others not. But when there are issues like this with Chinese bikes, it's mostly up to the buyer to accept in my opinion. At least I assume me working to fix it is the most palatable solution over trying to get help from the "dealer" (like you said, especially Manny).

Where are you located? Maybe one of us are close to you. This is something we can collectively resolve. Point is, the problem/solution is likely very cheap or free to fix, once found.
I'm in the northeast corner of Nebraska...pretty remote. Near Sioux City, Iowa. I know there's some risk, but I definitely expect it to start...

Old 03-16-2019, 08:45 AM   #17

Simple stuff first. Mine came with the wires hooked up to the front brake lever rather than the clutch. There is a safety system on it so the "clutch" has to be pulled in to start. Yours may also have a safety switch on the kick stand. I had to move the wires from the brake to the clutch lever. No big deal.

Check that stuff first.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_not_a_honda View Post
Simple stuff first. Mine came with the wires hooked up to the front brake lever rather than the clutch. There is a safety system on it so the "clutch" has to be pulled in to start. Yours may also have a safety switch on the kick stand. I had to move the wires from the brake to the clutch lever. No big deal.

Check that stuff first.
That's a good one. If it has a kick stand switch, worth checking as well.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:06 AM   #19

I bought an amazon battery, it barely has enough CCA to start the bike. try hooking it up to the battery charger and make sure it is 100% "topped off"

If my battery id not fully charged my bike will turn over but not start. Could also be a malfunction in the ignition switch?

Old 03-16-2019, 09:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
I bought an amazon battery, it barely has enough CCA to start the bike. try hooking it up to the battery charger and make sure it is 100% "topped off"

If my battery id not fully charged my bike will turn over but not start. Could also be a malfunction in the ignition switch?
It's topped off. I had it on the trickle charger all night. Also, I know the battery works great because it just put it in the '94 Honda Magna 750 that I bought last night. That bike didn't start due to a dead battery. I bought it anyway. I brought it home last night. This morning, I popped that same battery right in the Honda and it started right up. That's a fairly big bike. If that battery can start that bike, then it should definitely start the Apollo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its_not_a_honda View Post

Check that stuff first.
I will take a look...but, I'm not even sure how that is even possible. That seems bizarre. And, what front brake wires? Does the brake just have the tubing for the brake fluid going to it? I can't say for sure if mine has wires going into that lever.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:05 AM   #21

Try open and closing the gas tank,it may have an evaporative system like my venom bike did.when it sounded like that at cold start I’d open the tank then close it and it worked.check and make sure fuel is getting through,no kinked up fuel line or shitty fuel filter.id fill my gas all the way up too.
When I got my Apollo rfz I did everything on it and when I went to finally ride it wouldn’t start for sh*t.Pissed me off.Pulled it apart again only to get under the gas tank and clearly a plug had slipped out.I plugged it back up and VOILA,started right up even though I lost that day of riding by the time I found it but I felt way better.Good luck on your bike,I hope it gets figured out don’t kick it off the cliff yet.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:19 AM   #22

Could you take some close up pictures of your hand controls?

Old 03-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancadam View Post
It may also be worth confirming no spark means no shock from the plug. The redneck way of testing that is to hold the spark plug in your hand will turning the bike over and seeing if it shocks you.
Not a bad idea. Better to be sure. Also since no spark is narrowed down, might be a good time to remove the gas tank so you can get access to some of the connecters and ignition coil. Start poking around and see it's getting power. Also get around that kill switch. I'm not expert by any means, but that's what I'd do.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:35 PM   #24

You sound like a sucker for punishment ,having a hard time starting a simple bike like a hawk ,then jumping into an old multi cylinder no start Honda before figuring out the hawk .
I kinda like that !

Old 03-16-2019, 12:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
You sound like a sucker for punishment ,having a hard time starting a simple bike like a hawk ,then jumping into an old multi cylinder no start Honda before figuring out the hawk .
I kinda like that !
I got the non-running Honda running in about 5 minutes. Popped in the new battery I bought for the Apollo...fired right up. If only this bike can be this easy.

Old 03-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #26

I understand the frustration. I’m pretty good at bike electrics. It’s going to be something ‘simple’ and/or cheap to fix I think. Would be handy to have a volt meter and have the tank and seat off. My guess is, wires disconnected, or misconnected, or something else along those lines. If you want some help, I’d be glad to give you a phone call, maybe tomorrow, and walk you through the process as best I can? PM numbers etc, tho lol.
2002 Porsche Boxster S
2017 Chevy Bolt

“Throttle twisting geek” -LFN

Old 03-16-2019, 01:52 PM   #27

Meanwhile, look at page 51 of this. Use your volt meter to make sure 12 volts is getting to the CDI when the key is on

http://therps.net/User%20Manual/Hawk...s%20Manual.pdf

The pulse coil should have a reading too, when the engine is cranked. Also, the output to coil wire should also have a reading when cranked. Those are the basic checks to start...
2002 Porsche Boxster S
2017 Chevy Bolt

“Throttle twisting geek” -LFN

Old 03-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #28

I wouldn't give up just yet. You have it narrowed down to a no spark issue. A little circuit chasing and diagnosing with a multi-meter should sort this problem out much more quickly than you think.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #29

If you don't mind me asking, where in the US to you live? Perhaps someone close to you could come over and give you a hand. There are quite a few people here that could probably get it running pretty quick.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGriz View Post
If you don't mind me asking, where in the US to you live? Perhaps someone close to you could come over and give you a hand. There are quite a few people here that could probably get it running pretty quick.
I don’t mind at all. I live in the northeast corner of Nebraska, an hour west of Sioux City, iA. And, I will take all the help I can get!