Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2019, 04:02 PM   #1

Need to Buy a New Helmet

I need to buy a new helmet. One problem is that I have two very different bikes and I'd only like to buy one helmet at the moment. I have the Apollo and the Honda Magna. I had a Scorpion R710. I really liked it, but it's a $200 helmet and I don't want to spend $200 right now. Yes, I very much value my head, but I can get closeouts on good helmets for less money.

Helmets I'm considering:

1. AFX FX-39 (ECE approved, polycarb), really cheap right now from Google Express too.

2. HJC CL-17 and the FG-17 (both Snell approved, FG is fiberglass)

3. Fly Racing Conquest (ECE approved, polycarb).

4. Scorpion R410 (Snell approved, polycarb)

5. Zamp Racing FS-8 (Snell approved and fiberglass)

I know, it seems like I'm all over the place. This is the short list of helmets that I've found that have high ratings and that are on sale at the moment. Does anyone have any feedback on these helmets in particular, or other good recommendations? I'm not interested any helmet that is only DOT approved. I've read a lot online and it's a no go if that's the only certification. I'm actually iffy with going with an ECE helmet. So, I'm leaning a little more towards the SNELL rating as a minimum, but through some ECE helmets in there too.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski_rush View Post
I need to buy a new helmet. One problem is that I have two very different bikes and I'd only like to buy one helmet at the moment. I have the Apollo and the Honda Magna. I had a Scorpion R710. I really liked it, but it's a $200 helmet and I don't want to spend $200 right now. Yes, I very much value my head, but I can get closeouts on good helmets for less money.

Helmets I'm considering:

1. AFX FX-39 (ECE approved, polycarb), really cheap right now from Google Express too.

I know, it seems like I'm all over the place. This is the short list of helmets that I've found that have high ratings and that are on sale at the moment. Does anyone have any feedback on these helmets in particular, or other good recommendations? I'm not interested any helmet that is only DOT approved. I've read a lot online and it's a no go if that's the only certification. I'm actually iffy with going with an ECE helmet. So, I'm leaning a little more towards the SNELL rating as a minimum, but through some ECE helmets in there too.

Thanks in advance.
I would say the AFX helmet fits all of your criteria. They are discontinued, so the closeout deals will be pretty phenomenal. Fiberglass would be better, but that ECE rating makes up for it. I may just pick one up myself
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-02-2019, 09:25 PM   #3

You should not be afraid of ECE aproved Helmets, be afraid of DOT Helmets.
As long it is ECE certification or Snell grab the one you like more.
There are some very very cheap ECE helmets with 4 1/2 stars rating and you will find that they are cheap because they very very very basic, but very safe.

From the list you mention, i would get a Scorpion R410, you should be able to get cheap, now that they are discontinued and it will give you the peace of mind, knowing that they are snell.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski_rush View Post

Helmets I'm considering:

Thanks in advance.
I've heard good things about ECE approved helmets, but I KNOW how good Snell approved helmets are. Snell is an private American funded laboratory. ECE is European Union government agency entity. You pays your money, and rejoice in what you get...ARH

Old 05-02-2019, 11:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
I've heard good things about ECE approved helmets, but I KNOW how good Snell approved helmets are. Snell is an private American funded laboratory. ECE is European Union government agency entity. You pays your money, and rejoice in what you get...ARH
ECE testing, while government based, has a core set of standards designed around safety standards based in real world situations. Is it as good as SNELL? Maybe not, but it's a damn good set of standards that I would trust my melon with, unlike DOT.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:42 PM   #6

FortNine has a best helmets of 2018 or whatever on Youtube. Best commuter gear maybe it's called. Anywhoo the Bell dual sport helmet he has looks like a steal of a deal and his favorite bucket. I'm trying to afford one this month too, cracked the circle tab visor thing on my Scorpion and they don't make a replacement visor. My back up helmet which is what I'm wearing is too big.
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 05-03-2019, 10:08 AM   #7

My biggest problem is my massive German head I got from my mom's side of the family. I can't do mail order for helmets, I have to go to a shop and try one on. Cycle Gear has a pretty good selection of affordable helmets.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #8

Hmmm, I am not an expert on cycle helmets, but am up to date on sled helmets. My 2 bits...go to 509 and Klim website. They have some new technology in helmets, concepts that might transfer into the motorcycle arena. Worth a look into their new technology. I don't know what their ratings are, but suitable for sleds. (I dont race anymore) Years ago, the snell rating was used. Hmmm I guess I need to research cycle helmets and see what is technologically suitable and safe for us. Thanks for providing some ideas, and provoking research that I need to do.
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Last edited by wedooit; 05-03-2019 at 10:25 AM. Reason: research

Old 05-03-2019, 10:54 AM   #9

Here’s the one I’m wanting. Super lightweight and has the MIPPS system yer ha!

https://www.denniskirk.com/bell-helm...BoCGSsQAvD_BwE
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 05-03-2019, 11:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
My biggest problem is my massive German head I got from my mom's side of the family. I can't do mail order for helmets, I have to go to a shop and try one on. Cycle Gear has a pretty good selection of affordable helmets.
Big German head person here as well. Probably why I love my Schuberth helmet so much lol.

My issue with trying on helmets at the local places here is that they have such a limited selection. We don't have giant motorcycle outlets with tons of selection. That is why I love Revzilla so much. Order it, try it, and if it doesn't fit you can return/exchange it and try another one. All of the shipping is free, and their fitment guides do a pretty good job of helping you to get it right the first time.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:59 AM   #11

Something like this will easily pass DOT Standards

Would you trust your noggin to it?!?

On a side note, the 2 HJC helmets I have are "noisy" so I wouldn't recommend buying that brand... lots of wind whistling type noises that will get to you eventually over a long days ride

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:28 PM   #12

LMAOF!!!!!! AZHULE!!!! For sledding, I got the Mrs., a carbon fiber 509 with Fidlock, with MIPS. Way lite. Like I say, I don't know if that would be suitable for a bike. I am going to research. And that is true about revzilla.
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 05-03-2019, 12:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
Something like this will easily pass DOT Standards

Would you trust your noggin to it?!?

On a side note, the 2 HJC helmets I have are "noisy" so I wouldn't recommend buying that brand... lots of wind whistling type noises that will get to you eventually over a long days ride
Ya, DOT is a joke. I was really surprised when I started looking into this again and found out how much of a joke DOT is. It's shameful.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:41 PM   #14

Nice looking helmet chiptoothy!!!

Old 05-03-2019, 05:58 PM   #15

that one reminds me of the days i used a chopper pilot helmet for a few years. I even had an electrician friend rewire the mike and headset to a cb radio for me. cool set up, but probably not the safest thing to wear riding motorcycles.