Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2018, 04:53 PM   #1

Buying hawk 250 cc enduro soon

Hawk 250

So I’ve decided that I wanted to get a hawk 250
But I have a couple questions first

Where’s the best place to order my hawk 250 from?

What are the best sprockets to run for midrange power on The Hawk 250?

How long does it take to break it In?

What type of oil should I use in it?

Is it safe to use premium gasoline in it ???

What type of fork oil does it take and how often should I change the fork oil?

What are the best mods for more power?

Also any maintenance tips you guys have would be great?

This will be my first motorcycle so I’m trying to keep it in tiptop shape for as long as I can

Thanks for the help!!!

Old 04-30-2018, 07:08 PM   #2

In order.

Killermotorsport is where I ordered mine, no problems during the whole process, good communications with me.

Best sprockets will come down to use and personal preference. A 15/40, 16/43, or 17/45 (all the same basic ratio) is kind of the gold standard in best all around gearing. If you go with the 16/43 it will give you the ability to change between front sprockets to suit the bike for various uses. 17/43 is a great street and highway combo. 15/43 will have better off road grunt.

Break in is roughly about 500 miles ish. Before the engine and trans really start to loosen up and deliver proper power.

Oil. 10w40, 15w40, or 20w50 for hot climates. Needs to be JASO MA rated for wet clutches. You can use motorcycle specific oil, or myself and many others run 15w40 Rotella T4.

I only run premium.

Pick fork oil to suit your preference, but 15w works well. Lighter oil for less dampening, heavier for more. I recommend changing fork oil every year,but you can do it every 2 years. I do recommend changing it immediately when you get the bike.

Best mods for power - exhaust is the biggest boost you will get for your dollar. Either a de cat and modify the stock muffler, or the crf230 ebay exhaust that many of us run. Other than that, airbox mod or a foam pod filter. I also recommend changing the stock spark plug for abetter name brand unit. The stock plug is junk. Ngk DPR8EIX-9 is what many of us run.

Other than that, a properly jetted carb is essential. Stock or Mikuni.

Maintenance tips, check out the link in my signature.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-30-2018, 07:12 PM   #3

Hawk250.com is a good place to start. They have most if not all the answers to your questions. I just picked my hawk up today and plan on putting it together this weekend.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:55 PM   #4

Thanks For all the help and all the comments thanks a lot Any other tips you guys have for a new rider please let me know any maintenance reminders that you guys would like to let me know please tell me just really any information that you think a new rider should know I probably don’t know it so let me know thanks a lot again

Old 04-30-2018, 09:27 PM   #5

Maintenance reminders. Check your spokes and tighten as needed at least once a week. You can find a lot of vids on youtube that covers this.

Perform a basic safety check everytime you ride.

With these bikes it is a good idea to loctite the fasteners, and then check to make sure they are still tight every so often. I usually check my bike over with every oil change.

Pearl of wisdom. There is no such thing as too much maintenance, but there is such a thing as not enough. Your life is in your hands.

As far as riding tips. Practice the basics until they become instinct. Slow speed manuvering and emergency stops and manuvers especially. Ride at your own pace, and avoid riding in groups for a while. A buddy or two is fine, but don't push yourself past your comfort zone to try and keep up.

Also, get good gear. You will crash eventually. Road rash and broken bones suck.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:47 PM   #6

Noted megadan ...Thanks a lot for all the advice....

Also can you try to explain jetting the cab to me please and how it helps

Old 04-30-2018, 09:51 PM   #7

Alonso a lot of guys are doing air box mods how do you feel about that???
Also could you explain valve clearance

Old 05-01-2018, 12:17 PM   #8

being a new rider and maybe not a mc mechanic the only thing i would do right when you get it is change the shipping engine oil out and rejet to a 110 jet and ride it for a while. you get to messing with forks and other stuff and get in over your head and get discouraged and call it a piece of china junk! best mod is the aftermarket exhaust but wait a while and get used to it. ive got over 2000 miles on mine and still have oem fork oil and brake fluid so its not going to kill it and you wont get the knowledge of what it was to begin with. blue loctight on all bolts you put in and then after 100 miles check all other bolts for tightness.
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 05-01-2018, 12:18 PM   #9

google motocheez on youtube for valve lash tutorial but tackle only if your confident.
2009 johnny pag bar hog

Old 05-01-2018, 01:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by timcosby View Post
being a new rider and maybe not a mc mechanic the only thing i would do right when you get it is change the shipping engine oil out and rejet to a 110 jet and ride it for a while. you get to messing with forks and other stuff and get in over your head and get discouraged and call it a piece of china junk! best mod is the aftermarket exhaust but wait a while and get used to it. ive got over 2000 miles on mine and still have oem fork oil and brake fluid so its not going to kill it and you wont get the knowledge of what it was to begin with. blue loctight on all bolts you put in and then after 100 miles check all other bolts for tightness.
I agree with this, and also disagree with this.

I agree with the idea that delving in too deep into something unfamiliar can create a possible situation that may discourage a person if they get stuck or something goes wrong.

I disagree because the more familiar a person is with the bike, the better. Especially in the case with these bikes where many mechanics would rather not touch it with a 10ft pole.

I Think a fair compromise would be to do things one at a time. Do a good amount of research, and maybe skip the more complicated stuff at first.

The forks could wait, I agree. The brakes, not so much. Regular brake bleeding and maintenance is a good thing, and should be a part of every person's skill set. Stopping is the most important function of a bike.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:46 PM   #11

some like to wrench some like to ride! havent touched brakes since new stops just fine.
2009 johnny pag bar hog

Old 05-02-2018, 03:24 AM   #12

Thanks and really just be comfortable and confident about what your doing I understand I will but you must always push your self thanks for all the help I have like 2 more weeks before I order it I can’t wait any advice is always appreciated thanks a lot

Tags
hawk 250, new rider, oil, sprocket, top speed