Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2018, 06:29 PM   #1

CSC San Gabriel (SG250).

Looks like they are starting deposits for pre-orders on the latest new release.
http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/2018-S...sg250-2018.htm

Styling and design wise it looks to me like a late model CG125 with a "cafe racer" inspired seat and a rear frame hoop. I personally think it would look better with a flat seat, but that's just personal preference. I think I would delete or trim that rear fender and just run a suspended license plate frame like I did with my Goldwing.

What amazed me was the seat height at 26 inches. This would be a good alternative to the Magician for shorter people looking for a street bike. It might cost more, but it would be worth it.

The 4 gallon fuel tank is impressive. It will definitely have range!

Honestly, the only thing that boggles my mind is the rear drum brake. Why oh why do they still use them. Yes, I know it's perfectly fine on such a small bike, but from a buyers perspective it will be a little bit of a turn off.

I highly doubt that I would fit very comfortably on this bike, which is a little disappointing. It would make a good alternative to a Grom for people that want a slightly bigger bike though. It would definitely make an excellent commuter bike, and I bet that 68mph top speed could be easily bumped upwith a rear sprocket change, meaning it could probably cruise along at 70mph all day long, making it decently highway capable.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Honestly, the only thing that boggles my mind is the rear drum brake. Why oh why do they still use them. Yes, I know it's perfectly fine on such a small bike, but from a buyers perspective it will be a little bit of a turn off.
Around these parts your drum brakes will catch fire if your not careful riding down the 7,000 foot change in altitude within in a short period of time... mountain riding/driving can be hell on even the best braking systems...

Please CSC... NO DRUM BRAKES! Get rid of that junk and you will have (at least) one more sale

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #3

Thumbs Up Finally a realistic selling price?

Great to see that CSC is offering the San Gabriel Cafe Racer for sale for $1995.00.
A better price than the original guess-ti-mated price of $2495.00!
I love this price! It’s just where I thought it should be priced!
And Megadan, your correct about the low 26” seat height. I’m 6’2” and sat on and maneuvered the bike around the show room, and found the seating, reach, and leg room very restrictive! I don’t know how far, distance-wise, I’d be able to pilot this bike. But if the price actually remains attractive, I’ll purchase one and give it a try.
And I do LIKE THE LOOKS of the bike and the COLORS available.
Good luck CSC with your marketing!
Time will tell if this is a fair and attractive selling price. I sure hope it is!

Last edited by 1cylinderwonder; 05-12-2018 at 12:49 AM. Reason: To pass along good news

Old 05-11-2018, 11:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhule View Post
Around these parts your drum brakes will catch fire if your not careful riding down the 7,000 foot change in altitude within in a short period of time... mountain riding/driving can be hell on even the best braking systems...

Please CSC... NO DRUM BRAKES! Get rid of that junk and you will have (at least) one more sale
Yeah, the mountain roads add a whole new dimension to it. I live in the relatively flat great plains, so for around town and commuting duty will put a lot less demand on the brakes. They would be adequate in those roles. I just think they could have found a way to offer a basic 1 pot caliper rear disc setup without jacking up the price too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cylinderwonder View Post
Nice to see that CSC is offering the San Gabriel Cafe Racer for sale for $2195.00.
A better price than the original guess-ti-mated price of $2495.00!
But I think I’ll wait until the price is $2000.00!
And Megadan, your correct about the low 26” seat height. I’m 6’2” and sat on and maneuvered the bike around the show room, and found the seating, reach, and leg room very restrictive! I don’t know how far, distance-wise, I’d be able to pilot this bike. But if the price becomes more competitive, I’ll purchase one and give it a try.
And I do LIKE THE LOOKS of the bike and the COLORS available.
Good luck CSC with your marketing!
Price wise, after all of their fees and delivery, the total price seems to be right around $2400 to get one to your door. That puts it squarely in the price range of the TT250, so it isn't too bad of a price.

It is a shame about the cramped seating position for a taller rider, because I was seriously considering swapping out my Hawk for one of these. I mainly ride on the road anyway, and I love the styling of this bike. Toss on some 80/20 tires and you would have a quick and easy Brat tracker lol.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #5

Dan, I think you're spot on with the brat look. I'd promptly dump the tank, side panels and seat and go with the Born Moto look.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-14-2018, 10:00 AM   #6

I think it's cool. Slightly Norton-ish, especially the exhaust. The four gallon gas tank is a plus........and of course, C.A.R.B. approval is HUGE.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-14-2018, 11:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Dan, I think you're spot on with the brat look. I'd promptly dump the tank, side panels and seat and go with the Born Moto look.
I actually don't mind the tank's styling. Plus, it would be hard to give up 4 gallons of capacity lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I think it's cool. Slightly Norton-ish, especially the exhaust. The four gallon gas tank is a plus........and of course, C.A.R.B. approval is HUGE.
Yeah, if you took a late model CG125, mixed it with a few styling ques from a Norton Commando, you pretty much end up with this bike. The CARB approval is definitely a big deal. This is probably the cheapest "full size" street bike on the market right now.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:21 PM   #8

Looks pretty cool. pretty light should be fun.

Old 05-25-2018, 03:01 PM   #9

I like the bike and concept.

But I don't know if I would call that a Cafe Racer???

It's more like a standard bike, in my view anyways.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:38 PM   #10

I would keep the tank in place. It has the indentions on the sides for the rider to tuck their knees tight.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:04 AM   #11

I really like this setup. If I can convince Mrs. Emerikol that I need to have one of these in my stable "For Testing Purposes Only" , I think I'd like to pick one up. My little sister and her family are in Germany right now, and she's looking to pick one of these up to replace her bike. She's got a Honda 600 VLX that's too big for her, but too small for her husband. Maybe I'll be able to pick one of these up and ride it for a bit, then sell it to her when they get back stateside. Thanks Dan, now the wheels are turning on how I can get another bike... I swear, it would be cheaper to have a drug habit rather than a motorcycle habit... Even with as cheap as some of these China bikes are.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 05-29-2018, 02:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
I would keep the tank in place. It has the indentions on the sides for the rider to tuck their knees tight.
I agree. I like the stock tank that it comes with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
Thanks Dan, now the wheels are turning on how I can get another bike... I swear, it would be cheaper to have a drug habit rather than a motorcycle habit... Even with as cheap as some of these China bikes are.
No problem! Being a severe addict myself, I like to reinforce it in others so I don't feel alone in this world.

I seriously would love to sit on one of these to see how well my enormous self fits on it. I would consider it as a replacement for my Hawk, and if I can get my TIG welder setup to sell I could likely just squeak by on the price. I just like having an Enduro though. It's a nice alternative to a road bike to ride around.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:26 PM   #13

I had a chance to check this bike out when I picked up my TT250. It is very good looking in person. The seat height is nice for me as I am vertically challenged at 5'6" with a 28" inseam. It's a 1/2" shorter than my Sportster 883low.

The thing I wonder about is CSC's research and development. Why don't they survey their past, present and potential future customers for free invaluable input?
Just wondering if they went with the drum brake for "customer appeal" or "cost"?

Old 05-29-2018, 02:35 PM   #14

It's a pretty cool little bike. I see power upgrades. The compression is only 8.7:1. Megadan, I bet you can get a good bump in power with a reworked head. The bike maybe a little small for you with a 26 inch seat height. You may have to mount it while on your knees. LOL

Old 06-01-2018, 12:35 AM   #15

Is this bike only available in the USA? Has anyone successfully shipped to Canadaand riding it?