Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2019, 06:34 AM   #1

Cheesy Manor

So, I thought I’d do a separate thread on this.
https://www.atproperties.com/1048546...nois-60119-nei

As mentioned in What Did You Buy Today thread, things sure have changed a lot since I got my last mortgage in 1995. Things move a lot faster now.

We offered a lowball, but not insulting, bid late Friday morning. The sellers countered Friday afternoon with a number that was below what we had first considered to offer. Sold.
I have been e-signing one or two documents a day with the realtor and the lender until yesterday. Then things went into high gear.
We are closing on Nov. 18. The home inspection was yesterday, as was the radon test. I’m in Iowa this week so Mrs. C attended. That ran three hours. The inspector was thorough and walked Mrs. C through sump pumps, wells and septics, and anything else a city girl moving to the sticks needed to know, as well as the radiant floor heat in my garage(be very careful drilling holes in the floor).The house got two thumbs up. I spent a good two hours reading and signing documents in my hotel room last night.

Well and septic inspection is next week. Lawyers are talking to each other. Along with the appliances that stay, anything that is in the big garage is staying. That’s a large bench vise, a big shop vac, and a real self propelled snow blower. There’s supposedly a lawn mower there somewhere but I don’t recall seeing it. My Deere has a 42” deck, so I’m not concerned.

Mrs. C and I have been checking out the town. I’ve been scoping out pizza joints(very important) and auto parts stores. The largest NAPA in the county is between the new place and the towns southernmost stoplight. There are only two stoplights. There are some good restaurants along with a new bakery and a couple of antique shops, a JD dealer, Chevy dealer, a great meat market, a library, and an ice cream place.

Now, I think I may have finally broken Mrs. C of her annoying habit of “Hey, come over here and look at this neat house I found online.”

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 10-23-2019, 07:10 AM   #2

Congrats on the new digs, what was the motivation to move? If it is not to personal to ask

Old 10-23-2019, 07:28 AM   #3

Congrats!, Nice and roomy. The house too. lol
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-23-2019, 07:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat67 View Post
Congrats on the new digs, what was the motivation to move? If it is not to personal to ask
Wanted to be closer to the grandsons for one. We aren’t that far away now but having to drive through the city of Elgin on a Friday afternoon takes an hour to cover 17 miles. Looks to be about 20 minutes now.

Also needed more space. Mrs. C likes to sew and cook. I have a lot of toys.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 10-23-2019, 08:51 AM   #5

Very nice new House. Wife wants to move, i've vowed to never go through that process again.

Holy tax, Must be getting into one of those fancy neighborhoods LOL.
2007 Honda VTX 1300R.
1974 Suzuki tm125, work in progress
2001 Suzuki Drz 400s.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:42 AM   #6

You're gonna love that heated floor, my parents have it in their house. When you get up in the morning it's nice to put your bare feet on a warm floor.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 10-23-2019, 12:08 PM   #7

The best part of the story was the counter that was less than what you were originally prepared to offer! The solarium is a really nice touch.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-23-2019, 04:07 PM   #8

That looks quite nice cheesy ,congrats .

Old 10-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #9

Also my parents have the 3 way system for heating the water lines in their slate floor. Electric, gas, and an outside wood burner. It's not cheap as far as initial investment and maintenance, but they're in a different income bracket than most of us.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 10-23-2019, 09:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck9191 View Post

Holy tax, Must be getting into one of those fancy neighborhoods LOL.
Welcome to NE Illannoy. I’m paying close to that now, so...

I saw the home inspection report this afternoon. There’s a couple minor things here and there but nothing to fret over.

A few more things got signed and some more stuff got started. I now have an insurance policy ready to roll. Harold is going to try and keep me close to home until the end of the year, if possible.

My parents had radiant heat in one house in S. WI and kid sister has it in her place in Spooner, WI. She uses an outdoor wood fired boiler with electric base board backup. The baseboards kick in when the outside temp drops to -50F. I guess the boiler can’t keep up at that temp.

Thanks all. We are stoked.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 10-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #11

We stared packing up books and the like yesterday. Plus fixing up all the little things that get pushed aside and forgot about over 25 years in one place.
I pulled all my tin signs off the steel door between the house and the garage. Now I need to fill the holes and repaint. Before I can do that, I need to remove the 3M VHB (very high bond)tape that held the bar coasters from Oz to the door. It ain’t called Very High Bond for nothing.
It’s been nice not hearing from the realtor, Kelly with a Y, the Paralegal, Kellie with an E, or the two loan officers, Eric and Leslie, for the weekend. But, today looks like the only nice day for the week so I’ll be working outside for most of it and work on the door this evening.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 10-30-2019, 10:43 AM   #12

Oh gawd, the amount of paperwork is amazing.
I transferred some funds to make sure we had all we needed at closing, which is now less than three weeks away, and I thought that would be it. Hah! Now, I have to submit all kinds of paperwork about the account that I transferred the funds from for the last three months.

I asked our loan officer about this, stating that when we bought our current place all we needed was a good credit report and 20% down. She said that things changed since the bubble burst in 2008. I looked her in the eye and asked whose fault was that. Crickets.

I understand needing to know where the money comes from. Some of this has to do with money laundering. But before my aunt passed and I inherited a little bit, I never had enough for hand washing.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 10-30-2019, 12:22 PM   #13

We're going through similar changes. There is now a revised stress test you must pass before being granted a mortgage and purchases will no longer be accepted in cash. No normal person buys a house with cash anyways, so it will hopefully cut down on money laundering. It is apparently one of the biggest reasons we have the second highest cost of living, right after Hong Kong.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-31-2019, 10:32 AM   #14

First thing I was going to say was 'that ain't enough garage for you cheesy!' but when I opened up the link, shazam that is sweeeeet. I wish for a garage like that in my dreams

edit*
then you have another garage on the other side?!

Old 10-31-2019, 07:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrfxr67 View Post
First thing I was going to say was 'that ain't enough garage for you cheesy!' but when I opened up the link, shazam that is sweeeeet. I wish for a garage like that in my dreams

edit*
then you have another garage on the other side?!

Thanks, still pinching myself about getting two heated garages and a full basement.
The big garage has an attic that might just work for bicycle parking if I install a small winch. Looking into wireless intercoms and I've been looking at real air compressors and welders.
The attached garage is going to get a lift for the Jeeps' hardtop. It's a too heavy bugger for two old people to lift off without one. Also getting the air system I just installed in this garage.
Basement (still can't believe it when I say 'Basement') is getting divvied up between us. I'm getting a small area for a work shop and Mrs. C is setting up a craft room. One part of the basement has Astro Turf on the floor that's coming out for a small skating rink/play area.

I've booked the last of my vacation/personal days over the next two months to get us moved.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800