Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2006, 01:33 AM   #1

parts availability

Many people knock Chinese-made bikes using parts availability as a good reason not to buy one. :? Well, I've had my first experience with needing a part and I'm going to be picking up what I need tomorrow after work. It's funny because old people say that's why they didn't buy Japanese cars when they first came out. Except it's a different world now...Internet, shipping speeds, and just better marketing sense (the Chinese are quick learners) are here now. Anyhow, I thought I'd just throw that out there...

Cheers,
Rian

Old 06-21-2006, 07:46 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to RPM
Yep, that's the way folks tend to look at it. I had a customer come in with a broken brake lever once and I didn't have one on hand to fit, so I went to a local motorcycle salvage to try to match one up for this guy. The old fella that ran it was about 70, but tough as nails. When he asked me what it came off of, I replied a Chinese ATV ... of course, he laughed and told me to throw that lever and everything that was attached to it in the trash can cause you ain't gonna find anything to fit them! Couldn't get a word in edgewise, but that's the attitude folks have about them. I just went back to the shop and ordered one from my supplier and had it in 4 days. The internet has opened a whole new avenue for parts and service that many old timers fail to recognize these days. Some websites are actually cross referencing the parts that are interchangeable such as www.atvpartsusa.com which happens to have been put together by Redcat Motors for ease of finding what you may need. Don't think it has been fully developed to handle everything yet, but it is a positive move in this industry for sure.
You are right about the way the thought process works with the majority of people. I remember the first Japanese bike sold in my hometown was in the late 60s, oops ... there went my age, and it happened to be a Honda and was sold at George's lawnmower service. Folks said the same thing then and now look at the market.

Old 06-24-2006, 12:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM
Some websites are actually cross referencing the parts that are interchangeable such as www.atvpartsusa.com which happens to have been put together by Redcat Motors for ease of finding what you may need. Don't think it has been fully developed to handle everything yet, but it is a positive move in this industry for sure.
This is just going to increase as people dig into internals, suspension, etc. and start squeezing more performance out of these bikes. It will happen faster because of the Internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM
You are right about the way the thought process works with the majority of people. I remember the first Japanese bike sold in my hometown was in the late 60s, oops ... there went my age, and it happened to be a Honda and was sold at George's lawnmower service. Folks said the same thing then and now look at the market.
That's cool to hear you were there, man. I always suspected this was the attitude but you've confirmed that. Wait until the Chinese start sending over cars...everyone's going to say they're crap but enough will buy cuz they'll have warranty and will cost $10,000 USD.

Cheers,
Rian