Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2006, 12:13 PM   #1

these are fun bikes! but...suspension question

Have gone for two hour-long boots on the bikes in the last couple of days. For 150cc they offer plenty of fun. I hate to dwell on it but even when I'm riding, I'm grinning about the price...brand new Honda CRF150 = $3800 CDN dollars = hundreds of dollars more than what I paid for TWO bikes. Even with the small issues (fuel leak and shipping breakage on a brakeline) they're surpassing my expectations.

I've had duelsports but never a pure dirt machine so I'm a little new to this. I'm finding that the suspension does excellent on larger dips and road approaches (tempting to jump but I haven't yet!) but I do feel the small bumps in fields and washboard patterns on gravel roads, etc. I'm just wondering - is there a compromise here? If the suspension is softer for the small stuff then do you lose the control and absorption on the larger dips and bumps? Have I explained my question well enough?

There's probably nothing I can do about it, other than make sure all the fasteners are tight after each ride. On the other hand, it's not that bad.

P.S. I have checked all suspension parts and none appear defective.

Thanks,
R.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:23 PM   #2

Is your suspension still stiff? I'm expecting mine to be stiff for my weight, but I'm pretty adaptable to bikes characteristics.

I don't believe there are any adjustments on these bikes suspensions -- if that's the case then we're pretty much stuck with it unless you want to put $$$ in it. I'll be able to give more input after mine arrives and I get some riding in.
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 11-04-2006, 10:33 AM   #3

Yeah, I don't think there's any adjustments possible either - although I didn't scratch my head over it too much. Only thing I could think of was to look at a different/better damper - would need specs on everything and it's too much work and searching for something that does seem, indeed, to have improved over the season. Either it's improved or I'm just used to it now :wink:

Cheers,
R.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:58 AM   #4

From my trail riding this weekend I am pretty happy with the suspension. For me, it is a little stiff, but not choppy. I could feel rocks, but it soaked up enough that even big rocks didn't jolt the bike. I have jumped mine and it bottomed from around the 3' air mark, but still under control and there was no bouncy rebound.

Even with no adjustements I think the suspension is within expectations - considering the low price of the bike. :wink: also remembering that it's a trail bike and not a motocrosser.
'02 Kawasaki KX125