Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2016, 10:31 AM   #1

MA registration for Hawk 250?

Hello everyone, I just got my license and want to buy a Hawk 250 as my first bike. I emailed my DMV (well, technically the RMV here in MA) to find out about any potential registration issues, and they said they would register any motorcycle so long as it has a bill of sale, certificate of origin, and meets NHTSA standards. The last one is what scares me a bit. I know if the tires aren't DOT approved I can simply replace them, but is there anything potentially terminal with the bike like the absence of a sticker that might be required to be considered NHTSA friendly? Also, I've done a brief search of some insurance companies for quotes and haven't seen the bike in their list; would that be another issue? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #2

Insurance is usually the easy part. They just add it to their list. The sticker is usually on the swingarm. Another hawk owner should be able to verify that.

Last edited by katoranger; 07-14-2016 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Old 07-13-2016, 11:15 PM   #3

The hawk is not NHTSA approved. The WMI is not listed in their database. I'm in CT and registering the hawk has had mixed success here. Most I know just register it in VT. I know Of 4 Hawks in CT and 3 of them sport VT plates.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:47 PM   #4

I did a hawk in RI. I know it will take time and it sucks but I would just go into the RMV and try it. Can you do a new plate at AAA? they may be easier to help.