Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2022, 11:20 AM   #1

2021 magician signal wiring help

So replaced my ugly rear signals with no problem, simple slice and go. I got some of thoselights that wrap around your forks and signal and also have a regular white light mode. Simple 3 wire splice jobs simple enough. Blinker wires go to sginal, white goes to head light. Simple splices i am an hvac tech i am confident in my splice abities so i know thyre connected right. Problem is now none of the signals work fron't and back. Even if i hooked up the fork lights wrong the signals should at least b getting power from the signal connections. I dont think theres anything tht could have blown since the bike was off battery was still connected tho but had non of the issues doing the rear ones. I know nothing about this is there a signal relay or something i need to check or any ideas?

Old 08-14-2022, 01:52 PM   #2

Remove your turn signal bulb in the odometer.

Old 08-15-2022, 06:43 AM   #3

Romw the odometer bulb? Huh reason for that? I dont understand how that would male the signals wwork. Seems to.be a relay or fuse type issue. Or maybe thosw fork lights r not completing acircuit or somwthing but dunno why thy would all stop seems to me thy should still get power when the turn signal is sendong signal? And why the back signal stopped working too! Plz hwlp

Old 08-15-2022, 08:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGcloner229 View Post
So replaced my ugly rear signals with no problem, simple slice and go. I got some of thoselights that wrap around your forks and signal and also have a regular white light mode. Simple 3 wire splice jobs simple enough. Blinker wires go to sginal, white goes to head light. Simple splices i am an hvac tech i am confident in my splice abities so i know thyre connected right. Problem is now none of the signals work fron't and back. Even if i hooked up the fork lights wrong the signals should at least b getting power from the signal connections. I dont think theres anything tht could have blown since the bike was off battery was still connected tho but had non of the issues doing the rear ones. I know nothing about this is there a signal relay or something i need to check or any ideas?
Have a solid ground for the signals? Have a LED signal flasher installed?

Old 08-15-2022, 09:08 AM   #5

Ya everything was working fine till i splice in the fork lights simple pos to ps neg to neg but none of signals r working now includong the back tht had no splice. Of nothing works at all do i got to check it ba k to the relay? Dunno why thos would happen uhad no problem installing rear signals same exact splice install...

Old 08-15-2022, 09:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by slithica View Post
Remove your turn signal bulb in the odometer.
What would removing the od bulb do? What magic is this lol?

Old 08-15-2022, 11:12 AM   #7

On a lot of cheap Chinese LED lights you'll see red/black/white wires and white is ground.

On a bike with all incandescent bulbs, including the dash indicator, the bulb in the dash sees voltage flow in both directions depending on which blinker is active, left or right. You have to install two diodes to make a common dash bulb work with LED turn signals.

Old 08-15-2022, 11:57 AM   #8

I don't know if this applies to the Magician, but the headlights on my scooter operate on AC.
There is a separate coil on the stator

Old 08-15-2022, 01:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascot500 View Post
I don't know if this applies to the Magician, but the headlights on my scooter operate on AC.
There is a separate coil on the stator

What scooter? I've never seen that before.

My magician was all DC 12v.

When swapping out all my lights for led lights I had to remove my turn signal bulb in my odometer because it would cause a short in the turn signals since it would transmit power. LEDs use much lower power and also have lower resistance so it could allow power flow when I didn't want it.

Regular bulbs wouldn't react to the low power flow since they need significantly more power but my LED lights did.

Apply 12v to each of your LED things on your bike to verify they work, then double check your wiring.

Either way you will need to remove that bulb or your lights won't work properly.

An LED blinker relay is needed to make them turn on though. A normal relay won't react to the low current of LEDs properly.

Old 08-15-2022, 02:24 PM   #10

It's a Dong Fang with a 150cc GY6 engine
The Magician may be different

Also, LED's have a higher resistance which means they consume less power

Voltage=I*R
Power = I*Voltage

Old 08-15-2022, 02:57 PM   #11

If you are converting bulbs to led you will need to either need to swap out the relay to a LED flasher unit or get auto flashing LED turn signals with in built relays...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000790806992.html?spm

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003246342603.html?spm

Also LED are +/- specific and will not work if cross wired either by the user or the manufacturer.

If you got down the path of replacing relays the easiest way is to get 2 flasher units for a dedicated left and right turn signal circuits.

I going down the path of testing auto flashing indicators...however this wont allow the dash turn signal warnings to flash...no big deal.

Old 08-15-2022, 03:37 PM   #12

Quote:
It's a Dong Fang with a 150cc GY6 engine
The Magician may be different

Also, LED's have a higher resistance which means they consume less power

Voltage=I*R
Power = I*Voltage

Dude, what?

LEDs have more resistance at rest, although comparing them to incandescent isn't really apples to apples.

Basically, at rest or low current an LED will appear to have more resistance, but a lit bulb will have significantly higher resistance.

When metal heats up it's resistance goes up.

Here is a quote for you.
"The typical cold resistance of a 100 W incandescent lamp is about 9.5 ohms. If that resistance stayed the same with 120 V applied, Ohm's Law tells us that the bulb would draw about 12.5 amps and dissipate about 1,500 watts. That doesn't happen of course, and that's because as the filament heats up, its resistance increases as well. It turns out that at 120 V, the resistance is about 144 ohms, 15 times the cold resistance. The resulting current is 0.83 amps, and the power dissipation is the advertised 100 W."

It explains it a bit more.

More resistance != less power usage. You're confusing how power works.

I tried to lookup dong fang 150cc scooters and all I found were 12v bulbs. Are you sure it is an AC bulb? I've never heard of or seen any AC bulbs on scooters.

I saw some aliexpress links for led flashers, here is one you can get quickly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Those fit the magician. I'm using one. You do not need separate circuits.

When I installed my LEDs I did not have to rewire anything. I just snipped the old wires from the incandescents and hooked them up to the LEDs.

With an LED flasher and removing the bulb in my odometer they worked fine. They work currently.

There are NO relays that I had to replace, I didn't change anything else.

Old 08-15-2022, 09:33 PM   #13

I agree about the light bulb - the filament temp affects the resistance

But:
What is the resistance of a dead short?
Pretty close to zero
And how much current is flowing, temporarily at least?
A lot - that's why there is a fuse

Another way to look at it - what would happen if you ran a plain copper wire from positive to negative?
It would melt - especially if it you used a Li-on battery

Regarding the 12v bulbs on the Dong Fang: it doesn't matter whether the current is AC or DC
But if I tried to directly connect an LED headlight in place of the incandescent bulbs they would work properly.

BTW I am running LED's for the turn signals, using an LED flasher

Old 08-15-2022, 10:16 PM   #14

Quote:
I agree about the light bulb - the filament temp affects the resistance

But:
What is the resistance of a dead short?
Pretty close to zero
And how much current is flowing, temporarily at least?
A lot - that's why there is a fuse

Another way to look at it - what would happen if you ran a plain copper wire from positive to negative?
It would melt - especially if it you used a Li-on battery

Regarding the 12v bulbs on the Dong Fang: it doesn't matter whether the current is AC or DC
But if I tried to directly connect an LED headlight in place of the incandescent bulbs they would work properly.

BTW I am running LED's for the turn signals, using an LED flasher

I really have no idea what you're trying to communicate. It does matter if it's ac or dc, almost all 12v LED bulbs do not work off an AC current, or at best will flicker since it's only working 1/2 the time.

Old 08-15-2022, 10:34 PM   #15

1. The OP said that he connected to the headlight wire. IF he has connected his LED turn signals to an unrectified power (which is a yellow wire on MY GY6) that may explain why they are not working.
2. A light bulb filament can't tell whether the applied voltage is AC or DC, it's just a filament.
3. V=IR If voltage is constant a 1 ohm resistor flows twice as much a 2 ohm resistor.
Also I=V/R
4. Power consumed is V*I so a 1 ohm resistor will dissipate twice as much as a 2 ohm resistor