Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2022, 09:56 AM   #1

Chain help-2021 magician

Hey all, tool my chain off my 2021 magician to swap in a 17t front sprocket but it does not fit at all and theres nothing to grind to make more clearence, i dont know if the newer bikes are different vut ya no way it fits i doubt a 16t would fit. Anyways ive never had to mess with a chain breaker before abf i was under the impression that you could add links to the stock chain but after using the breaker i dont see how that is possible. So when ordering a new chain to go back to stock, do i need to order a chain that is too long then size it and use the breaker and main link to reconnect? (I believe the stock size is 65 link #428h) alsocsn you add links with a.chaib breaker? Any other advice would b great guess i have to get a bew back sprocket if i want to change gearing.

Old 08-03-2022, 01:30 PM   #2

When you use your chain breaker to put a chain back together, you have to use what's called a "master link," specifically a rivet style one if you plan to use your breaker to do it. The master link has slightly different pins in it that have a hollow bit and can be mashed flat like a rivet head (hence the name) to make affixing it permanent.

You can't reuse a rivet style master link once it's been pressed, and you can't reuse a link you've shoved out of your chain with your chain breaker, either.

If you want to make your life a lot easier you can get a clip style master link which is theoretically reusable. You're not "supposed" to reuse the spring clip on it, but in the case of a low powered bike like the Hawk as long as you do it correctly and don't really overbend the clip taking it off and putting it on I'd really doubt you'll ever generate enough torque or stress to break it even after reusing it.

Old 08-03-2022, 04:59 PM   #3

A 17t wouldn't fit in my Magician either. The 16t did fit with an x chain. I don't remember the length of chain I bought for mine when I changed, but I bought one several links too long because it was quite a bit cheaper. It came with a clip style master link.

2016 Magician 250

Old 08-03-2022, 08:18 PM   #4

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That is exactly what I bought for my 2021 magician. I did not need to change to a new chain after putting it on, I did however swap to this one.

Which is acceptable but stretches quite a bit.

that one is better though, but costs more.

I currently have that 17t sprocket on mine. Along with a custom rear sprocket that's 40t.

Old 08-04-2022, 08:31 AM   #5

Thanks eveyone great info.

A 17t front and 40 rear? On a magician? It must get 9ff the line like a cow? Haha did u happen to ride it with just the 16 t front or did u do it all at once? I ask because im thinking bout just throwing new chain on cuz i can just barley do wheelies in 1st as it is. I do want to.b able to go on the freeway without it blowing up!

Old 08-04-2022, 12:55 PM   #6

When I put a 17T on mine I had to feed the chain over the sprocket while spinning the sprocket. BTW I eventually went with a 34T rear

Old 08-04-2022, 07:16 PM   #7

Hello magicians. Can you guys maybe post where you bought your custom rear sprockets? I have a 17 front and stock rear. I wouldnt mind getting a smaller rear. Thanks!

Old 08-04-2022, 10:31 PM   #8

Hello not sure about back sprocket, but everyones right about master link.I would just get a new chain,stock one are junk. good luck. someone here can help you with back sprocket,come on guys.

Old 08-05-2022, 12:21 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGcloner229 View Post
Thanks eveyone great info.

A 17t front and 40 rear? On a magician? It must get 9ff the line like a cow? Haha did u happen to ride it with just the 16 t front or did u do it all at once? I ask because im thinking bout just throwing new chain on cuz i can just barley do wheelies in 1st as it is. I do want to.b able to go on the freeway without it blowing up!

I don't ride larger motorcycles but in my experience it accelerates faster than surrounding vehicles, I feels good when it accelerates.

I don't wheelie so I have no idea if it's possible or not.

I didn't ride it for long before swapping the sprockets, but I didn't really notice much difference. I'm sure it accelerates more slowly now but not enough that I notice/care.

Old 08-05-2022, 12:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeGroat View Post
Hello magicians. Can you guys maybe post where you bought your custom rear sprockets? I have a 17 front and stock rear. I wouldnt mind getting a smaller rear. Thanks!

Order it from PBI sprockets.

40 tooth, 45mm center hole, 8mm bolt holes, 6 holes. diameter of bolt holes 136

Old 08-05-2022, 09:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by slithica View Post
I don't ride larger motorcycles but in my experience it accelerates faster than surrounding vehicles, I feels good when it accelerates.

I don't wheelie so I have no idea if it's possible or not.

I didn't ride it for long before swapping the sprockets, but I didn't really notice much difference. I'm sure it accelerates more slowly now but not enough that I notice/care.

Do you know your top speed also would be curious as to where your rpms at on freeway speeds. I live in san diego i really have to b able to go on the feewway without it blowing up

Old 08-05-2022, 01:43 PM   #12

Thanks!

Old 08-05-2022, 01:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGcloner229 View Post
Do you know your top speed also would be curious as to where your rpms at on freeway speeds. I live in san diego i really have to b able to go on the feewway without it blowing up

About 60 if you don't change anything else.

No idea of RPM, but it is significantly lower than the original.