Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2017, 11:48 PM   #1

Hawk or other 229cc engine based enduro setup database

I've seen these on other forums and looks like it would be helpful here with almost all of these needing some sort of tweaking out of the box. Post your setups here to help other CR's to spend more time riding than wrenching. If you are still having issues with your setup please wait to post until they are ironed out.

Bike: >>>Hawk, bashan, tt250 etc

Elevation:>>>Distance above sea level and location if you would like.

Carb:>>> Mikuni, PZ30, Keihin etc.

Jet sizes:>>> self explanatory

Needle setting :>>> Clip setting or shims used

Pilot screw turns:>>> self explanatory

Relevant mods:>>>Sprocket sizes, Exhaust, intake, bore, stroke, porting, cam? NOT lights, suspension, stickers etc

Top speed:>>> Please try to only put gps verified numbers here and specify if your going by that or the stock speedo.

BLANK

Bike:

Elevation:

Carb:

Jet sizes:

Needle setting:

Pilot screw turns:

Relevant mods:

Top speed:

Old 05-12-2017, 12:21 AM   #2

Bike: 2015 RPS Hawk

Elevation: 1100ft

Carb: PZ30

Jet sizes: 110 main, stock pilot

Needle setting: 2 shims

Pilot screw turns: 2

Relevant mods: air box mod, exhaust baffle removed, 17t front sprocket

Top speed: 56 (stock speedo)

Old 05-12-2017, 02:19 AM   #3

Have you seen the internets hottest hawk ,Ariel ,BSA,norton mixed nonsense thread that has over 10 brazzilion viewers tuned in daily ,which has everything in the mods department listed dozens of times over and over ?,and I am pretty certain there is at least two threads compiling a list with which parts and mods are recommended for hawks although I cannot remember too many with the elevation listed .

Old 05-12-2017, 03:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
Have you seen the internets hottest hawk ,Ariel ,BSA,norton mixed nonsense thread that has over 10 brazzilion viewers tuned in daily ,which has everything in the mods department listed dozens of times over and over ?,and I am pretty certain there is at least two threads compiling a list with which parts and mods are recommended for hawks although I cannot remember too many with the elevation listed .
Yes I have. The purpose of this thread is to have an easy place to look at working setups without having to get through all the chatter and crosstalk. Maybe with enough people posting their info it can eventually be turned into a sticky.

-Jeff

Old 05-12-2017, 08:13 AM   #5

Bike: 2016 RPS Hawk

Elevation: 10ft

Carb: PWK30

Jet sizes: 125 main, 38 pilot

Needle setting: 2nd notch from bottom

Pilot screw turns:1 1/2

Direct Ignition Coil

Ported & Decked Head 10:1 Compression Ratio

Relevant mods: Foam Pod Filter, Ebay muffler, Cat removed, 17t front 40 rear sprocket, Dual oil coolers, NGK(2202) DPR8EIX-9 Iridium IX Spark Plug

Top speed: any day 76 mph GPS , Digital Cluster. fastest was 80 mph down hill lol
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Last edited by JerryHawk250; 04-11-2019 at 03:51 PM.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:45 AM   #6

Bike: >>> Hawk

Elevation:>>> 600 Feet

Carb:>>> Mikuni VM26 Clone

Jet sizes:>>> 20 idle, 110 main

Needle setting :>>> Full Rich (lowest clip)

Pilot screw turns:>>> 1.5

Relevant mods:>>> 15/40 sprockets, stock exhaust, Airbox mod, stock air filter, Oil cooler

Top speed:>>> 55 mph GPS

Old 05-12-2017, 12:01 PM   #7

Bike: 2007 Lifan GY5 200cc

Elevation: 100 feet

Carb: Mikuni 30mm

Jet Sizes: 109 main, 30 slow

Needle Setting: middle

Pilot Screw Turns: 1

Relevant Mods: 2002 XR250R muffler with 1996 XR250R tip (very little restriction), cat-free header

Top Speed: Not sure. Have reached at 70mph, but haven't actually held WOT for top speed. Cruise at about 62mph is reasonable

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Mixed nonsense? You know how to really hurt a guy!...ARH

Old 05-12-2017, 06:32 PM   #9

There is just too much other bike brand stuff and stories about your friends mixed in with that thread ,it is interesting reading for someone like me who has worked on Ariel square fours ,and bsa ,norton,laverda ,weirdo stuff like that ,but most people around here do not have the basics mastered ,and piling pages of info about bikes no longer relevant just makes for a bunch of unnecessary confusion .If you started a separate thread about your Ariel and your other adventures ,it would be easier for the novices to figure out what you are getting at ,and I think it would be more enjoyable to read for all .
I did note your thread was the internets hottest Hawk,......thread ,and made note of the 10 brazzilion viewers tuning in daily , I just feel if it stayed closer to the Hawk mother ship ,and the other stories stayed in a different thread it would be easier and less confusing .

Old 05-12-2017, 07:14 PM   #10

Quote:
There is just too much other bike brand stuff and stories about your friends mixed in with that thread ,it is interesting reading for someone like me who has worked on Ariel square fours ,and bsa ,norton,laverda ,weirdo stuff like that ,but most people around here do not have the basics mastered ,and piling pages of info about bikes no longer relevant just makes for a bunch of unnecessary confusion .If you started a separate thread about your Ariel and your other adventures ,it would be easier for the novices to figure out what you are getting at ,and I think it would be more enjoyable to read for all .
I did note your thread was the internets hottest Hawk,......thread ,and made note of the 10 brazzilion viewers tuning in daily , I just feel if it stayed closer to the Hawk mother ship ,and the other stories stayed in a different thread it would be easier and less confusing .
I didn't know that an Ariel Square Four was wierdo stuff, but I am always willing to be educated. Sorry you didn't find any useful stuff on Hawk Talk...ARH

Old 05-12-2017, 09:56 PM   #11

I didn't say or mean I didn't find anything useful , just that a new bike person ,new hawk owner if he read that thread which has more info about ariels ,and other bikes will find the information overwhelming .
As for the square four being weirdo stuff how can it not be ? Not a lot of motorcycle engines running around in the 30's with two crankshafts in one engine .

Old 05-13-2017, 01:39 PM   #12

Why do I bring up other bikes on Hawk Talk

To me, a single is a single - no matter who made it or when. I'll make it even easier, an air cooled single is much more like every other air cooled single, then you would think. And what has been found to work on any air-cooled single should work on the Hawk single. Within reason. The development of air-cooled singles has been going on since 1900. What works on one of them works on all of them. Getting a more dense volume of flammable gas into the cylinder, and out of it after we have gotten as much work out of it as possible. If the engine has rigid enough crankcases to stand the power increase. Which the Hawk has. The Hawk engine has a very nice die cast head with very good porting. The problems start with the air box, then to the tube which connects it to the carburetor, and the carburetor itself. Through the head, everything is OK. Then comes the exhaust system, which is awful. Bubble gum welds inside the pipe, some kind of rag gasket between head and pipe, tiny catalytic converter restricting flow even more. We've discussed carburetor tuning, and so forth....ARH

Old 05-14-2017, 09:08 PM   #13

Bike: 2016 CSC TT 250

Elevation: 13 feet

Carb: Stock Keima

Jet Sizes: 115 Main, Stock Pilot

Needle Setting: Raised 1 notch

Pilot Screw Turns: I haven't had time to drill out the plug for the pilot as of yet.

Relevant Mods: Opened up stock exhaust, 17/45 Gearing, swapped stock speedo for digital cluster.

Top Speed: I have reached 67 mph on GPS on a slight downhill which read 68 on the digital cluster. It will cruise at 60 mph with no problem.
2016 CSC TT 250, 17/40 sprockets, JT 428 chain, Stock Keima carburetor with needle raised 1 notch and 115 main jet. Modified stock exhaust, Tachometer/Digital cluster upgrade. LED headlight, Superbrightleds 1157 Tail light bulb, Shinko 705's 90/90-21 and 120/80-18.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #14

when you guys talk about shimming the needle, do you have the 5 available notches, you put it on the most rich setting, and also put a washer under that?

Old 05-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvl8rida View Post
when you guys talk about shimming the needle, do you have the 5 available notches, you put it on the most rich setting, and also put a washer under that?
The stock carbs don't have the grooves so we have to shim it.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel