Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2016, 06:26 PM   #1

Motorcycle bike rack

As a cyclist, I want a way to transport my bicycle on my motorcycle. I've found many custom builds and there is even 2x2 cycles who makes one but doesn't make it for the RX3 layout plus I want something that kept the front wheel on the bike. So I've prototyped out of wood a base rail system and attached a Yakima Frontloader roof rack and it seems to work well. Following the lead of 2x2 cycles I used a strap around the stem, attached to the crash bars to cinch the bike down removing a lot of the load on the rear of the bike. Now I just need to find someone who can weld this up for real for me. Know of anyone in the Seattle area?

Pictures of the prototype: http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/jo...?sort=2&page=1

Old 10-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #2

I'm apprehensive of your idea to rely on just the top box mount plate.

Unless you foresee riding two up while packing the bike, I urge you to consider tying the forward attachments to the two bolts at the front of the passenger hand holds and the box mount plate.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:33 AM   #3

You got me interested so I looked at 2X2's website.
1. I don't know why you want to carry the bike with the front wheel on the bike. That makes the load longer, and higher, which puts more stress on the mount/bike interface.
2. checking the photos on 2x2; the mounting plate on the Can-Am Spyder looks to be a "Universal" and could probably work on the RX3.
3. All the photos show the bike mounted behind the passenger seat (except the TW and the Suzuki dirt bike). I would expect the rack would be adjustable so you could move the bike forward as much as possible.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:36 AM   #4

Yeah, I'm really thinking of going with the 2x2 rack system and tomorrow I'm going to prototype up a base plate that not only sits on the current plate but comes forward over part of the pillion and then has arms coming backward at about a 30 degree angle to connect into the bolts that hold the rear crash bar. That would take a ton of rearward pressure off the small base plate and also allow me to have the 2x2 rack sit further forward. I'll post my fab pictures tomorrow and let you know what the 2x2 guy says when I speak with him.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #5

Second prototype base plate

Based on the feedback of the strength of the top box base plate and a bunch of feedback from other friends I have who have put bike racks on their moto's and highly suggest getting the center of gravity lower by removing the front wheel which also gets the bike into the slipstream better I've built a new prototype base plate that not only bolts to the existing base plate but almost completely covers the pillion and has legs that go down to the upper crash guard bolts. I like this idea for a few reasons as I could now bolt on something like a toolbox with a lock in front of the bike on this base plate and it would also be secure and would compensate for some lost truck space when the top box is removed.

Here are some pictures of this design. I have a friend who does welding coming by on Monday to look it over and quote me to build it:
http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/jo...?sort=2&page=1

I'm also working on getting a hold of 2x2 Cycles (http://2x2cycles.com) to utilize their rack system on this base plate since it gets the bike nice and low. I'll let you all know how it goes since their surely must be a few on this list that ride non-motorized 2 wheelers also :-)

Tags
bike rack