Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2017, 08:06 AM   #1

Hawk 250 forks

Way too mushy for my weight of 195 lbs and riding style . Tearing down today and swapping to 10 weight real fork oil . Than exploring shim possiblity . Would like to swap springs , but I have no clue where to start . I will measure length and spring material dia . All I know is 31 mm forks at this point . Any direction advice is appreacated highly . What I did find is list of bikes that had 31mm forks I will share here in a few seconds .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (14.7 KB, 1613 views)

Old 02-26-2017, 08:30 AM   #2

I just changed mine to mobile 1 atf. I put 210cc and made a big difference. I weigh about 185
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 02-26-2017, 09:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail32 View Post
Way too mushy for my weight of 195 lbs and riding style . Tearing down today and swapping to 10 weight real fork oil . Than exploring shim possiblity . Would like to swap springs , but I have no clue where to start . I will measure length and spring material dia . All I know is 31 mm forks at this point . Any direction advice is appreacated highly . What I did find is list of bikes that had 31mm forks I will share here in a few seconds .
Iam about to do the same thing. The info will be very helpful.Thanks

Old 02-26-2017, 11:07 AM   #4

Quote:
If they're still too spongy after you change the oil, run a couple chunks of 1/2" PVC on tp of each spring, under the fork caps. Start with 1". Adjust more or less from there. Cheap and it works.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Have you measured to OD of those forks? I think they're 41mm.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:15 PM   #6

Drained out 6oz's from each fork . Pretty grey color for 63miles , but that's normal here in Wi from what I have seen over the years . Added 6oz's of bel ray 10wt . And added 2 nickels as shims . I have den the PVC pipe shims before and metal in my mind is a better option . Took the hawk around the yard grabbed a little air over ditch and she is much nicer . Before I add anymore I want to measure stroke of travel and calculate spring compression to the best if my ability. I have bent forks in the past from over shimming them . These are the smallest springs I ever seen . Fork tubes are beefy enough , but finding replacement springs is gonna be a challenge . If I need them that is . For some reason I can only load 1pix at a time , bare with me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (12.9 KB, 1586 views)

Old 02-26-2017, 12:18 PM   #7

Nice round 2 foot length . But tightly wound small dia .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (15.6 KB, 1593 views)

Old 02-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #8

I measure and check everything , curse of being a machinist for years .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.1 KB, 1582 views)

Old 02-26-2017, 12:25 PM   #9

WTF

2 nickels is .120 shim and seems way better already .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (13.8 KB, 1594 views)

Old 02-26-2017, 12:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Nice round 2 foot length . But tightly wound small dia .
Progressive Springs probably have springs for those forks. Progressive usually winds springs with (surprise!) progressive rate springs. Usually softer in the middle and stiffer at the ends.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
Progressive Springs probably have springs for those forks. Progressive usually winds springs with (surprise!) progressive rate springs. Usually softer in the middle and stiffer at the ends.
I normally run race tech in everything . They already told me it s gonna take some R&D first
I will try Progessive next .

Old 02-26-2017, 12:33 PM   #12

Too much snow here to prove anything out . But after a few sliding hot laps in snow with soft lawn underneath , I believe I made a difference . How much is to be determined later .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (19.8 KB, 1574 views)

Old 02-26-2017, 12:37 PM   #13

My other China Girl . Ok not really Chinese, but she's Asain . She is our Japanese Akita Inu
BTW she hates the hawk and chases it all over the yard when I am outside .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (16.5 KB, 1587 views)

Old 02-26-2017, 12:37 PM   #14

Quote:
I normally run race tech in everything . They already told me it s gonna take some R&D first
I will try Progessive next .
Let us know what you find. Iam sure lots of us could and would use new springs in our forks. For me I if I just touch my front brake my forks dip like crazy and that's if I just touch the brake. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Let us know what you find. Iam sure lots of us could and would use new springs in our forks. For me I if I just touch my front brake my forks dip like crazy and that's if I just touch the brake. Thanks for the info.
I took my little China girl out today after work and 10 wt fork oil and 2 nickels for shims works suprisingly well. I also made a call into Progessive and I got a dudes voice mail . We'll see if he gets back to me . The problem I see is the small dia of the springs . Most 31 mm forks use a larger dia spring .
Back in my younger cobbling days I have bought hardware store springs and stacked them up to get what I wanted . Sounds crazy , but with enough pateints of trail and error it works . Next step is measuring rear shock eye to eye . That should be an easy find for replacement . BTW I never leave anything alone . It's just my nature