Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2017, 02:29 PM   #1

Doh! Hello to Everyone on the Forum, I need help!

Hello to you all. I am new to the forum. I am planning on purchasing a TaoTao Rhino 250 ATV. I was wanting to know if there are performance upgrades that can be made that would make a difference, as far as anything electrical, like the CDI, ignition Coil, Voltage Regulator, Spark Plug. Or what would be the best mods to make to it to get the most power and speed, plus better durability? Chains, sprockets, shocks, etc on any of the questions. Any help would be great. Also where do most of you shop for parts? I appreciate any advice as long as ita credible. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:29 PM   #2

Don't mess with the CDI, the Rhino uses a special one. Best performance mods will be choosing the right gearing for the type of riding you do. After that a free flow exhaust and air filter and replacement carb. A quality chain, branded spark plug are a good idea but won't change performance. The stock shocks are very firm initially but do soften up eventually. As for where to shop for parts, it depends on which parts.

BTW The stock coil and regulator are fine and replacing them won't make any difference except in the thickness of your wallet.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum dcs.

It sounds like the first thing you will want to do is address the carburetor. You can either re-jet the one it comes with or get a Mikuni clone (VM26)

Out of the crate the Rhino is a bit under powered in it's EPA certified form. Small price for a very large increase in performance.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:35 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies

If either of you had to choose would you purchase a new carburetor instead if re-jetting it? If so do you have a part number or is VM 26 the part number? I eont mess with the CDI. As far as gearing, I would want some low end power, without sacrificing too much top end speed, if I can get away with more lower end torque without losing any top end that would be great. I will basically be trail riding with small hills and ditch embankments, things like that. I live in South Georgia so I don't have mountains, just small hills lol. I just want to put some decent quality parts on it to make it a good ride but maybe more durable and stronger if at all possible. If yall can give me a parts list or a website to get the stuff you suggested, that would be great. I want to put a better quality chain and such on it, just to have that security, and what lever sprockets ai need to change I hope you will address in your reply. Thanks a lot guys. If you need more info because my statements are vague, I will answer them in better detail next time.

Old 08-12-2017, 02:28 PM   #5

Try to get hold of member '2LZ' He has a Rhino and has done mods. However, his Rhino is a couple years old and might not use the same engine; I believe his is a 229cc, and I believe came with a 520 chain, whereas the new ones are 200cc and use a 428 chain.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #6

Is there another atv comparable to the Rhino's size, power, and price point? That may be a better option? I'm open to suggestions.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #7

Mine came with a 530 chain... for mods you can read my thread here http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=16553

I'm unsure of the engine size but it fits my purpose well and lives up to Utility ATV status well. I'm very happy with my Rhino. In that link is where I purchased all the parts from.

I chose to go with the Mikuni clone because it allowed me to have a good choice of jets and ease of use... didn't feel like modding the one that came with it in case things went wrong with the mikuni setup... worst case I could put the stock carb back on and be riding till things got worked out.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #8

Nothing comparable that I know of. It's amazing they can sell them for so little.

The older version of the Rhino (ATA250D) used a 428 chain but the Rhino uses a 530. The 530 and 428 sprockets/chain fit either quad so they can be interchanged as a set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs View Post
Is there another atv comparable to the Rhino's size, power, and price point? That may be a better option? I'm open to suggestions.

Tags
advices, help me, parts, performance, tao tao