Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2018, 01:21 AM   #1

Hehe Does size matter??....Need advise on beefing up charging- Lifan 200cc

So with the Lifan 163FML engine, I'd like to raise up the power of the charging system. From my understanding, there's 3 choices..

1. go to an 11 pole AC stator,
2. A 12 pole DC stator plus new CDI, or
3. An 18pole DC stator plus CDI.

Right now I'm only getting 13.2V will most everything on... I need more!! I want to be able to use heated grips, and maybe power a small portable refrigerator- well.... maybe heated grips and few more lights.. or just a few more lights, and power a phone or GPS..

I haven't opened up the left side cover to measure the stator, to know what size flywheel I have, or what size stator is in there, but I'm thinking it's an 8 pole half wave AC stator, and probably 89.5mm diameter.

Can anyone tell me what I have in there?? OK, I guess I'm a bit lazy. But I'd like feedback from any of you regarding which choice and also what size I'd need. It would be nice not to have to swap out the flywheel too, if I can.

Also, anyone know the answer to this?? By increasing the coils in the stator, is the resistance also increased, which could theoretically reduce the engine power.... Is this true, or an old wives tale?

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Old 05-05-2018, 06:28 AM   #2

Something is wrong if you're getting only 13.2 volts. Which regulator are you using? Are you running the headlight on the regulated ac output or DC?

Old 05-06-2018, 06:21 PM   #3

I’m just using the stock stator, which I think is an 8 pole AC stator. (Haven’t torn into it yet) Everything except the ignition is DC. I know it’s never good to overwork a stator. They tend to get BBQed if too much load is required of them. My headlight is a 35w LED.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #4

Mudflap
Oops, I didn’t answer your question correctly. Just using a half wave chinese regulator. (4wire). I do have an old shendengen I could try.... I’m thinking I need to replace the stator anyway so may do it at the same time.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:48 AM   #5

So I finally pulled the side case and verified I have a baby sized 8 coil AC stator in there.... the inside diameter of the flywheel is approx 90mm. After searching the heck out of eBay, AliExpress and the net in general, I found that the max I could do would be a 12 coil DC stator that would fit the current flywheel. Or could go with a 95mm flywheel and an 18 could DC stator. Anyone know if it’s crucial that a flywheel is specific to a stator, other than size?? Your advise here is greatly appreciated!

Tags
charging, lifan, stator