Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2022, 04:51 PM   #1

Coolster 125 wont start

I have a coolster 125 atv that wont start. I put a brand new starter and starter solenoid on, the battery is 100% charged. After charging battery the stater did engage and crank the engine but once the bike died the starter wont engage any more, the solenoid just clickes and makes a buzzing type of noise. Pls any info would help!!

Old 08-27-2022, 05:57 PM   #2

Valve adjustments may be off.

Old 08-27-2022, 07:07 PM   #3

Whats the voltage at the battery measured with a multimeter? Heres some voltages and the % of charge left for reference. 9 times out of 10 no crank is caused by a bad or low battery.

State of Charge Voltage

100% 12.7 - 13.2

75% 12.4

50% 12.2

25% 12.0

Discharged 0 - 11.9

Old 08-27-2022, 07:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clash 168cc View Post
Valve adjustments may be off.
I will try that next. Could valves be off due to me slightly turning the fly wheel when putting on the new starter on the chain?

Old 08-27-2022, 07:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider View Post
Whats the voltage at the battery measured with a multimeter? Heres some voltages and the % of charge left for reference. 9 times out of 10 no crank is caused by a bad or low battery.

State of Charge Voltage

100% 12.7 - 13.2

75% 12.4

50% 12.2

25% 12.0

Discharged 0 - 11.9
Im not too sure i dont own a multimeter, i left it at autozone over night to charge, they said it was good and 100% charged. When i first put the battery back on, The starter engaged and the bike crunk up. After that one time it went back to the clicking and buzzing noise

Old 08-28-2022, 01:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervfelton View Post
I will try that next. Could valves be off due to me slightly turning the fly wheel when putting on the new starter on the chain?
The valves are set under the valve cover. Look at a few valve adjustment videos on Youtube. Might be a few for a coolster. Should be a plate somewhere on you machine that gives the proper valve adjustment specs. Had to adjust mine after 100 miles.

Old 08-30-2022, 09:33 PM   #7

Unless the valves are bent, twisted and poking through the pistons they would have no effect on the starter cranking the motor. Adjusting the valves is not the answer for every problem on a Chinese engine.

Try jumping the solenoid directly across the poles. If the battery is good and the starter is wired properly that will usually crank one over.

That clicking sound you hear is the solenoid trying to engage and not quite making the connection. Either there is not enough battery power or the solenoid is defective.

BTW, I have known Autozone to be wrong in the past with their battery testers. You have a 12v system, jump it off your car!

Old 09-02-2022, 03:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervfelton View Post
Im not too sure i dont own a multimeter, i left it at autozone over night to charge, they said it was good and 100% charged. When i first put the battery back on, The starter engaged and the bike crunk up. After that one time it went back to the clicking and buzzing noise
Honestly if you're going to try to do any troubleshooting or repair on your own you should really pick one up. They aren't expensive but are invaluable for electrical troubleshooting. Also keeps you from buying and replacing parts that are perfectly fine...

Those smaller ATV's have pretty small low capacity batteries. If you had to crank it for more than a minute to get it started it's likely dead again. These engines should pretty much fire right up with only a few cranks, if it takes an extended period of cranking to get it running, something is wrong. As said above, you can also jump it with a car or jump pack.

You might want to check the choke operation as well. We had some problems with starting on my sons 110cc GIO and it turned out to be that the cable stay for the choke had come out of it's spot so the choke wasn't closing.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:33 AM   #9

Would it run before you put the new starter and solenoid on it?

Tags
atv, chinese atv, coolster