Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2023, 02:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
Found this brand at the local swap meet.
This is clearly Rotella. Fine stuff. That’s what we all used to break it in. It says right on the label. Rotella.

this must be where Shell gets it from

Old 05-13-2023, 07:22 PM   #17

Well, I changed it today. This is what I found in the screen.

The oil did not appear to have a metallic sheen or smell of gasoline. It wasn't pretty, but I've seen worse in my beaters.

They were out of Rotella so I threw in some 20 w 50 synthetic Castrol motorcycle oil. I am going to swap it out again at the beginning of next month, no matter what the miles say.

Old 05-13-2023, 07:32 PM   #18

That is a pretty clean mesh strainer ("filter") for a 1st change! You seem to have good finishing on the internals (removing casting and milling leftovers).

I have seen some larger flakes and chunks in there (in other pics). I admit I have never bothered with it. I will on the next change. It seems like the stuff is retained well (!) and isn't causing a flow issue

Last edited by Thumper; 05-13-2023 at 09:48 PM.

Old 05-13-2023, 07:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
Well, I changed it today. This is what I found in the screen.

The oil did not appear to have a metallic sheen or smell of gasoline. It wasn't pretty, but I've seen worse in my beaters.

They were out of Rotella so I threw in some 20 w 50 synthetic Castrol motorcycle oil. I am going to swap it out again at the beginning of next month, no matter what the miles say.

That looks great.

I started running the 20 W 50 “V-Twin” Mobil stuff at either 500 or 1000 miles. I forget. Rotella went out of stock everywhere after the pandemic. So I was never able to get it again after the first batch I got. I tried the 20w50 and it was great too. But a lot more expensive.

At 6000 or 7000 miles now, I’ve used the 20w50 this whole time

Old 05-13-2023, 07:52 PM   #20

The Walmart Super Tech V Twin 20-50 full synthetic is pretty inexpensive, I have used it, but it's almost crystal clear, and can be hard to see on a dipstick. Super tech makes other weights of motorcycle oil as well. I've seen several "Project Farm" oil comparison videos, and Super Tech oils are good oils from what I've seen. Sometimes Walmart has motorcycle oils in the sports section, due to the popularity of off road ATVs, and such.

Old 05-13-2023, 07:55 PM   #21

I rode the bike for about 6 miles and drained it immediately, so I reckon all the crap was suspended in the oil and not settled on horizontal surfaces inside the engine. I was going to check the plug, but it slipped my mind. I hate to find out I am dangerously lean because this thing is freakin' sipping gas with the unmodified stock carb. I went 160 units on slightly over 1 gallon of gas..that is insane. It doesn't bog; it idles great. I mean... the only reason I can imagine changing anything is if it is dangerously lean. The engine does not seem to be running hot, and the exhaust pipe is not turning red. Tomorrow, I will pull the plug.

Old 05-13-2023, 08:11 PM   #22

I think you said you bought a bike that was returned, by a previous buyer, and sold again by the dealership as remanufactured? Does it by chance have the carb bowl screws slotted? Maybe it's already been rejected by the previous buyer. Also check and see if it by chance has only 3 screws holding the bowl. It may have a VM26 clone on it.

Old 05-13-2023, 08:49 PM   #23

I looked but saw no marks on the "plugs" or whatever are where there should be screws. I will examine tomorrow. I am super curious now. I really do mostly ride up in the hills though, even when I go to my daughters south of here, I run the ridges to get there. Maybe that's it.

Old 05-13-2023, 09:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
I think you said you bought a bike that was returned, by a previous buyer, and sold again by the dealership as remanufactured? Does it by chance have the carb bowl screws slotted? Maybe it's already been rejected by the previous buyer. Also check and see if it by chance has only 3 screws holding the bowl. It may have a VM26 clone on it.
Yeah, I had forked out a cool $1750 for an layaway X-pect, ya know? But then, outta the blue, I spot this refurbished Blue Hawk on powersportsmax.com rollin' in, fully assembled, and they throw in free shipping for just $1659.00! I couldn't resist, man. So I ring 'em up, beggin' 'em to let me swap my order (Thanks, Zora!). Surprisingly, they oblige. A few days later, that bad boy arrives, sportin' more battle scars than your regular ride, but nothin' major. The wiring 'round the battery looks kinda janky, but the battery itself seems decent. I snap some pics, ya dig? Gotta say, someone definitely tweaked this beauty. If it keeps ridin' as smooth as it has been, I'm one happy camper. Bought this beast to break free from my jail cell of a tiny apartment, where I've been wastin' away, gettin' fatter and older. Motivated myself to shed some pounds and snag this bike. Man, it's been ages since I had my own set of wheels. But now? I'm livin' the dream, baby. This here's a tale of pure beauty, no doubt about it.

===

By the way, I asked that AI thing to rewrite my comment as a 1950s motorcycle enthusiast, and that was the end result. I am a nerd, but you gotta admit, it's cool, and it captured my true meaning. There is no reason to pay for Grammarly or any other text editing or grammar-checking software. You can simply have ChatGPT correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation by telling it this prompt: "Please correct the grammar, spelling, and punctuation in the following text: 'here you put your text'." You can even specify a style or ask it to maintain your current style, and it can make suggestions without directly editing the text. You can then review the suggestions and have it correct the text. This tool is free! Other grammar-correcting software can cost $20.00 a month. This is a game-changer for anyone who writes.

Last edited by Zapkin; 05-13-2023 at 09:10 PM. Reason: clarification and extra goodies

Old 05-13-2023, 09:46 PM   #25

These Chinese enduro bikes definitely offer a lot of enjoyment for the money. I've had 3, and still have 2. I bought my Brozz new , a couple years ago for $1,950 with free shipping. I spent very little on it, just Niche XRing chain , front, and rear sprockets, and proper jets for the stock carb, and very cheap bags. I completely de restricted the story exhaust. I put just over 2,000 on the odometer on it, then it was stolen out of the garage on my property (farm) out in the country. I had a couple of street bikes, but I just didn't enjoy them as much as the Brozz. I jumped at the chance to buy a nearly new TBR7D with just 400 showing on the odometer for $1,300 .It already had 42/17 sprockets, and was rejetted it ran great. The guy just got in a financial jam. It already had a real title. I also got the old sprockets with it, and I put the Stock 46 on it , and run it with the 17. I replaced the rear sprocket studs with Honda studs, and replaced the chain. I did splurge on full exhaust, Nibbi PE28FL, and pod filter. I have cheap bags, and homemade fork brace, as well as additional preload spacers. I have had everything I need to port the head, and a 4 degree timing key, but never did any of that yet. I am now showing just over 3,000 on the odometer, but I know it reads kilometers, so I have over 1,800 miles on it. Any my Hawk was probably the best deal of all . It's a 2016, but had almost no miles, and it runs great . I have spent almost nothing on it. I replaced the chain, and sprocket studs,and installed the stock 46 /17 sprockets from my old Brozz on it. I de catted it. Properly jetted it for the exhaust work, Nibbi Filter, and cheap bags, I also found a great deal on a Zanella digital speedometer cluster on eBay, and bought an adjustable shock, and made new preload spacers for the forks, and a fork brace. I has probably close to 1,000 miles on the bike now. I have already put more miles on, and spent less on the 3 bikes together, than a lot of people do on bikes that they have payed far more for, and more on upgrades.

Old 05-14-2023, 07:23 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
These Chinese enduro bikes definitely offer a lot of enjoyment for the money. I've had 3, and still have 2. I bought my Brozz new , a couple years ago for $1,950 with free shipping. I spent very little on it, just Niche XRing chain , front, and rear sprockets, and proper jets for the stock carb, and very cheap bags. I completely de restricted the story exhaust. I put just over 2,000 on the odometer on it, then it was stolen out of the garage on my property (farm) out in the country. I had a couple of street bikes, but I just didn't enjoy them as much as the Brozz. I jumped at the chance to buy a nearly new TBR7D with just 400 showing on the odometer for $1,300 .It already had 42/17 sprockets, and was rejetted it ran great. The guy just got in a financial jam. It already had a real title. I also got the old sprockets with it, and I put the Stock 46 on it , and run it with the 17. I replaced the rear sprocket studs with Honda studs, and replaced the chain. I did splurge on full exhaust, Nibbi PE28FL, and pod filter. I have cheap bags, and homemade fork brace, as well as additional preload spacers. I have had everything I need to port the head, and a 4 degree timing key, but never did any of that yet. I am now showing just over 3,000 on the odometer, but I know it reads kilometers, so I have over 1,800 miles on it. Any my Hawk was probably the best deal of all . It's a 2016, but had almost no miles, and it runs great . I have spent almost nothing on it. I replaced the chain, and sprocket studs,and installed the stock 46 /17 sprockets from my old Brozz on it. I de catted it. Properly jetted it for the exhaust work, Nibbi Filter, and cheap bags, I also found a great deal on a Zanella digital speedometer cluster on eBay, and bought an adjustable shock, and made new preload spacers for the forks, and a fork brace. I has probably close to 1,000 miles on the bike now. I have already put more miles on, and spent less on the 3 bikes together, than a lot of people do on bikes that they have payed far more for, and more on upgrades.
yep and you had all the fun. people dont know what they are missing.

Old 05-14-2023, 09:24 AM   #27

I am going to go out shortly and pull that plug, I will take pictures. I hope I don't get bad news.

Old 05-14-2023, 10:47 AM   #28

iridium plug after 500 miles

Here is what the plug looks like this morning. What do you think? Too lean ???

Old 05-14-2023, 07:44 PM   #29

Is it safe to run?

Is it safe to run that way for another two weeks or so until I get a solution? Also, this may sound stupid, but couldnt I put choke at mid position to enrichen it? I actually put several miles on it that way (choke at half) before even realizing it.

Old 05-14-2023, 08:57 PM   #30

way to lean my friend,needs bigger jet.