Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2023, 08:49 AM   #1

Hawk Rebuild

Good morning my dual sport friends. I have a 2021 Hawk 250 RPS with a soft seize. As I felt it going I applied the clutch and shifted into neutral, which kicked the engine off automatically as the piston stopped moving in the cylinder. The kick start is still capable of moving the piston with only medium effort.

That said:

Am I correct in the notion that replacing the cylinder and piston/rings would be the best course of action?

I plan to re-gear it to comfortably cruise around 60mph with throttle left over (preferably faster if possible). Before the engine seized it would max out at 52-55mph. Would it be worth it to put in a 300cc big bore kit or should I just stick with a stock replacement? Does anyone have a link for something with quick shipping one way or the other?

What gear ratio should I use to achieve this so I don't have to replace the chain? (I literally has less than a hundred miles on this new chain!).

I don't want to go through this again, so this is a pressing question as well. When I bought it second hand there was little to no oil in it and the "oil" that was there was like water. I changed the oil and everything seemed just fine. A couple weeks later, my battery died because I left the light on. I started it with the kick start and let it run for around an hour but adjusted the idle screw slightly to make it idle just high enough to be effective. When I went to shut off the bike it was extremely hot. A couple days and not many miles later the engine failed. Which of these is the most likely culprit in destroying the engine?

As always I appreciate y'all. As a single mom I don't always know where to turn and you folks are amazing <3 !

Tags
big bore, hawk 250 motor, no bueno, rebuild, seize