Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #1

Got A Lead...

....on a 1975 Goldwing.

What I do know about it. Owned by my son in laws' Dad. Didn't even know he ever rode. Nekkid, save for a Windjammer fairing. Indoor storage for the last 15-20 years. Might be able to pick it up for a song.

Jake's Mom is quite ill now and the last thing Bill(Jake's Dad)needs is me pestering him about the bike. So, I'm in no rush to get it. It has already sat for a couple decades, a few more months won't make a difference. Besides, no place to park it until mid-January when I sell off the bulk of my bicycle collection.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 11-02-2014, 10:49 PM   #2

Weren't they all nekkid from the factory in the early years? I remember seeing several with Windjammer fairings and Vetter bags, until the bigger GL motors came along.

Good luck on it, when the time is right.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-02-2014, 11:41 PM   #3

I seem to remember even the 1979 models were naked. I don't think the luggage became standard equipment until the 1980s.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-03-2014, 06:22 AM   #4

Spud is right, the 70s models were all naked. 75 and 76 had spoke wheels with tubes and were slightly faster than later 1000cc models. They were originally a muscle bike with the only faster production bike at the time being the Kawasaki 900.

Like many old bikes that have been setting for years, gas tank rust can be a problem and you pretty much have to disassemble the bike to get the tank out. Also the removable frame member on the left side under the engine tends to rust out over time because water can get in there.

I had a 79, fully dressed by Vetter. Took a lot of long trips on that old bike.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
Like many old bikes that have been setting for years, gas tank rust can be a problem and you pretty much have to disassemble the bike to get the tank out. Also the removable frame member on the left side under the engine tends to rust out over time because water can get in there.
No stranger here regarding the fuel tank. With luck, Bill prepped it before storage. If not, oh well.

Thanks for the heads up on the frame member.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 11-04-2014, 10:16 AM   #6

Mudflap, is it possible to block off the water entry point? Could a cap be welded on, or similar?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-29-2015, 09:09 PM   #7

Goldwing is on hold for the time being. Last Saturday, I was finally able to have a one on one with Jake's Dad about the bike.

Well, Bill said he was never comfortable riding it and it sat for years, so he gave the bike back to his Father in Law, Bruce Sr. I managed to pin Bruce Sr down at the same shindig and talked to him about it. He was kind of wide eyed and asked why I hadn't said something sooner. Turns out he passed the bike on to his son, Bruce Jr(There are a lot of Bruce's in the clan and I can barely keep them straight). He gave me Bruce Jrs number and said "Call him, he'll deal with ya."

Yeah, that ain't happening. Bruce Jr has a reputation of screwing over family members, then getting butt hurt and moody when he gets caught. If I let him know that I'm interested in the Goldwing, it will no longer be an old bike taking up room in his Dads' garage, but a rare collectable and family heirloom worth tens of thousands.

So, I will sit and bide my time. Bruce Sr said he gave Jr a time frame to get the bike out of the garage. If it isn't by then, and Sr doubts it will be, he says we will be talking.

Well, I made some more room in the garage anyway by donating a small pick up truck load of bicycle parts to the Working Bikes co-op in the city. Several things that the co-op couldn't use went into recycling. It's not a great work space yet, but it is getting there.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

Old 01-29-2015, 09:56 PM   #8

I'm betting that Bruce Jr. will be consistent and not pick the bike up in time. It'll be gracing this forum in no time.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I'm betting that Bruce Jr. will be consistent and not pick the bike up in time. It'll be gracing this forum in no time.
I agree, as long as Bruce Senior doesn't inform Junior of Cheesy's interest in the bike.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894