Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #1

CSC TT250 Safari Rack

Figured I'd share my Safari Rack build if anyone is interested or looking for ideas. I needed something that could hold my tool pouch, gas can, and my dry bag (with all my camping gear, food and clothes inside). Trolling around the internet came up with nothing so I decided to buy some metal and get to work. Cost $20 in metal and a hard days work, the end result is a very usable, capable rack. Its made from some plate steel, 1x1x11ga square tubing, 1/4" solid rod, and some cut up chain links. I plan on getting it media blasted and powder coated orange. For security reasons I wanted to be able to remove the rack from the bike with everything still on it so the main two pins are the only things needed to remove it, just pull them and lift the entire rack off. The factory helmet lock is still usable with the gas can in place. My riding position and comfort are unaffected I don't really notice its back there unless its fully loaded then its really nice because I have a back rest. I wanted to keep everything as narrow as possible I travel some narrow trails and luggage hanging from the side would make for a bad day.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #2

Nice job on the rack. Well thought out.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-24-2017, 03:10 PM   #3

I agree, Nice rack

My own opinion would be that it may be a good idea to brace the leading edge with a bar down to the passenger peg mounts, but this may be sturdy enough as is.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-24-2017, 04:07 PM   #4

nice job

Old 05-24-2017, 11:15 PM   #5

WTF

Plenty of room, no matter what your hauling.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-25-2017, 07:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Plenty of room, no matter what your hauling.
Take that hawg to market. It's photoshopped but funny.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #7

Hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Take that hawg to market. It's photoshopped but funny.
What do you mean, I saw them at Wal-Mart just yesterday?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-25-2017, 09:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
What do you mean, I saw them at Wal-Mart just yesterday?
I did too and I don't shop at walfart. I was just passing by.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trynchinese View Post
Figured I'd share my Safari Rack build if anyone is interested or looking for ideas. I needed something that could hold my tool pouch, gas can, and my dry bag (with all my camping gear, food and clothes inside). Trolling around the internet came up with nothing so I decided to buy some metal and get to work. Cost $20 in metal and a hard days work, the end result is a very usable, capable rack. Its made from some plate steel, 1x1x11ga square tubing, 1/4" solid rod, and some cut up chain links. I plan on getting it media blasted and powder coated orange. For security reasons I wanted to be able to remove the rack from the bike with everything still on it so the main two pins are the only things needed to remove it, just pull them and lift the entire rack off. The factory helmet lock is still usable with the gas can in place. My riding position and comfort are unaffected I don't really notice its back there unless its fully loaded then its really nice because I have a back rest. I wanted to keep everything as narrow as possible I travel some narrow trails and luggage hanging from the side would make for a bad day.

thats a haulin sum bitch there now!
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 05-25-2017, 11:21 PM   #10

How does it ride with the fuel only on one side? Is it awkward, balance-wise? (Sry for the news question, I'm new to packing a bike for any kind of real trip)

Rides a 2016 Bashan 18C with Blue PlastiDip, piped and jetted, USB charger, real-time digital volt meter, faux carbon fiber handguards, 5 COB led headlight upgrade, auxiliary led light bars, and an MSR shift lever with new grips, T6 aluminum handlebars anodized in blue, polished handlebar brace, decals, HD Unibear chain and spoke covers waiting on the always-full mod shelf......

Old 05-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #11

Lol, the rack does look a little ridiculous without my gear loaded on it. I need to add a photo fully loaded. I always leave the gas can full of ethanol free 87 gas with fuel stabilizer and Lucas cylinder upper lubricant added. Never know what random rode I will end up riding down and getting lost at a whim so I don't want any range anxiety. That said even on really rough rocky trails I don't notice the gas can at all or the rest of the rack for that matter. Now when I put 30lbs more of gear on it that's a different story. I definitely know its all back there during slow turns or navigate really rough trails at slow speed, but nothing that makes it a danger to ride or hard to control safely.

Old 05-26-2017, 06:16 PM   #12

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...VdoWGV5YkJHYlU

I took this pack 350 miles and negotiated about a 3 foot deep washout
With no problems. May look awkward but as long as it's not too heavy , anything's possible. Yes, I also had range anxiety so swaped on a 3.5 gal Suzuki dr650 tank.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...VdoWGV5YkJHYlU

Old 05-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trynchinese View Post
Lol, the rack does look a little ridiculous without my gear loaded on it. I need to add a photo fully loaded. I always leave the gas can full of ethanol free 87 gas with fuel stabilizer and Lucas cylinder upper lubricant added. Never know what random rode I will end up riding down and getting lost at a whim so I don't want any range anxiety. That said even on really rough rocky trails I don't notice the gas can at all or the rest of the rack for that matter. Now when I put 30lbs more of gear on it that's a different story. I definitely know its all back there during slow turns or navigate really rough trails at slow speed, but nothing that makes it a danger to ride or hard to control safely.
Even with fuel stabilizers, fuel is known to go bad. Sometimes in as little as a couple weeks. When I carry extra fuel, I put it in the bike, top up the tank at the fuel station, and refill my fuel container. This way there is a lot less chance of having a container of bad fuel riding around waiting to kill my bike in the middle of nowhere with a really long march out to get help.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:52 AM   #14

Nicely done trynchinese, thanks for sharing

Tags
gas can, luggage, luggagerack, mount, rack