Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster
I sometimes have trouble finding Neutral on my XT225 with the engine running and the clutch pulled in. Hit the 'kill' button and it seems a lot easier. Turn the Kill off and thumb the starter when the lights change, and pull the clutch in, select 1st gear, release and your are away. (some lights do take an awfully long time to cycle through before you get a green, if you just missed it . Selecting Neutral saves wear on the clutch and turning the engine off whilst in Neutral saves Gas so is 'Green').
We all have our personal styles, but I would never select neutral while at a red light or stop sign. I'm always ready for a quick escape, lest an unattentive driver should fail to stop behind me. One eye remains on the mirror, and the trans remains in gear.
X2. In addition, I pulse the brake light with my right hand as I watch the motorist approach the light from behind me. If he doesn't slow down at an acceptable rate, I am ready to take evasive action. 8O

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #152

Quote:
jeremy2011, you posted that you are in the Philippines, yet you choose to post on China Riders, rather than say MCP (MotorCyclePhilippines.com)
what made you think i don't post in my local forum brit? ah could be my handle...
actually i'm one of the oldies in that forums - my handle is pong. you can check my thread at off-road section "msx 200 sa trail" which started out as an inquiry when i was checking for an mc to start with off roading (and yeah, i got no real response from that so i just continued posting my ride stories instead on that 'same thread).

now why here?
i'm here posting my logs because i read convincing stuffs that finally made me decide on getting this chino bike...
so then why not posting my ride logs here in return?
the thread link you posted in mcp is indeed a huge pool of discussions for motards; where i post comments as well... but that is too much without off-roading....

Old 04-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #153

We are very glad you joined us here at China Riders, Jeremy. Thank you for keeping us updated on your Zong; it's a great little motorcycle! Please keep posting the great photographs from the Philippines.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
Quote:
I sometimes have trouble finding Neutral on my XT225 with the engine running and the clutch pulled in. Hit the 'kill' button and it seems a lot easier. Turn the Kill off and thumb the starter when the lights change, and pull the clutch in, select 1st gear, release and your are away. (some lights do take an awfully long time to cycle through before you get a green, if you just missed it . Selecting Neutral saves wear on the clutch and turning the engine off whilst in Neutral saves Gas so is 'Green').
We all have our personal styles, but I would never select neutral while at a red light or stop sign. I'm always ready for a quick escape, lest an unattentive driver should fail to stop behind me. One eye remains on the mirror, and the trans remains in gear.
X2. In addition, I pulse the brake light with my right hand as I watch the motorist approach the light from behind me. If he doesn't slow down at an acceptable rate, I am ready to take evasive action. 8O

Spud
In the UK, when I had my Triumph Trident T160, I joined IAM Bike Club in Surrey, that had some Police Motorcyclists as members, and they helped train Club Members for Institute Advance Motorists (IAM) Test.

One of the things they test for, is a Rider sympathetic to his machine. They were the ones who suggested putting your bike in neutral at traffic lights.

They also teach the 'Life Saver' which is to look over your shoulder in the direction you are turning, just before you execute the turn. This makes sure there is not something/someone coming past you, ignoring your turn indicators, and in a blind spot on your mirrors. Very good advice and good habit to get into.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #155

Quote:
We are very glad you joined us here at China Riders, Jeremy. Thank you for keeping us updated on your Zong; it's a great little motorcycle! Please keep posting the great photographs from the Philippines.

Spud
+1, I love seeing different places!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #156

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Spud
...One of the things they test for, is a Rider sympathetic to his machine. They were the ones who suggested putting your bike in neutral at traffic lights...
I'm in firm agreement with the "life saver" technique. In Idaho we teach the acronym SMOG to help riders remember the steps they should take before they change lanes, or make any turns.

S Signal your intentions with either turn signals and/or hand signals
M Check your mirror
O Make an over-the-shoulder glance to check the blind spot in your mirror, and make sure the lane is unoccupied, and the turn is safe
G Go for it

I think it's good for a rider to be sympathetic to his machine. However, I think it's even more important for a rider to be sympathetic to his personal safety. Many motorcyclists get rear ended while sitting at stop lights. Current rider safety courses in the United States stress the importance of keeping your motorcycle in first gear at stop lights, so you are prepared to evade being hit from behind. :(

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy2011
Quote:
jeremy2011, you posted that you are in the Philippines, yet you choose to post on China Riders, rather than say MCP (MotorCyclePhilippines.com)
what made you think i don't post in my local forum brit? ah could be my handle...
actually i'm one of the oldies in that forums - my handle is pong. you can check my thread at off-road section "msx 200 sa trail" which started out as an inquiry when i was checking for an mc to start with off roading (and yeah, i got no real response from that so i just continued posting my ride stories instead on that 'same thread).

now why here?
i'm here posting my logs because i read convincing stuffs that finally made me decide on getting this chino bike...
so then why not posting my ride logs here in return?
the thread link you posted in mcp is indeed a huge pool of discussions for motards; where i post comments as well... but that is too much without off-roading....

Is this you Jeremy (pong)?

http://www.motorcyclephilippines.com...x+200+sa+trail

You using 'pong' not 'jeremy2011' and posting in a MSX200 Thread when you have a MOTO RX155 (Moto R155 but having wheels of a Moto X155), (or a Moto X, with the Inverted SHOWA Front Forks of a Moto R155)?

So how was I meant to know that is you, but I do now!

In my Green Trail Rides - Cebu http://greentrails4cebubikers.wetpaint.comWiki Blog, I have a page - Suitable Motorcycles for Off-Roading http://greentrails4cebubikers.wetpai...Off-Roading%3F

I posted that MSX 150-III would be suitable and the MSX 200-II, but these are not Zongshen, but KAMEX Warrier.

Looks like the MSX200-II was dropped in favour of the TRLAX 200.

Jeremy, do you know anyone who bought the TRLAX 200, and how would you compare with Moto X155?

I also prefer ChinaRiders to MCP, for 2 main reasons i) Posts are in English rather than Tagalog, ii) much less bias to thinking all Chinese Motorcycles are cheap, low quaility, poor build standards.

Much more open, informed, and experienced of new, emerging generation of Chinese Motorcycles with better design, build quality and materials, that will hopefully compete with Japanese and European Motorcycles at lower prices, making them much better value for money.

We had a new Pinoy Rider join in our Green Trail #22 on Sunday 1st April.

Ray has ridden a lot in USA and has bought a 200cc Chinese Motard, that cost him Php95K he said.

Ray coped pretty well in the off-road unpaved sections, as it was rough and in other places very muddy with deep ruts.

See http://www.everytrail.com/fullscreen...9564907d64a52a

Old 04-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
The Rusi looks like it has small wheels.
Yeh well spotted!

Instead of 21" Front, and 18" Rear that seems to be the 'default' fo most Dual Sport as good range and availability at reasonably priced Off Road / Dual Sport Tires, they have 17" Front and 14" rear

Perhaps it for the Philippines market where most bikers have trouble touching the ground on XR200 (like me also @ 5' 6", and I am average height here, or probably even taller than most Filipinos?).

Here is their not so impressive website giving very sparse Specifications:-

http://rusimc.com/
Quote:

main: Legaspi St., Dumaguete City, 6200 Philippines, t: (035) 225-4694 or (035) 422-2507, m: (+63) 917- 631-4144, e: customercare@rusimc.com, w: www.rusimc.com

We offer:

- NO DOWN, Low Downpayment, and Easy Installment Plan
- 13 MONTHS WARRANTY
- With 0% Interest Cash Price for 1 YEAR
- Free Lifetime Tune-up and Oil Change Servicing

We accept ALL BRANDS (Japanese, Chinese, others) for TRADE-IN or SWAPPING.

SABUT-SABUT LANG...

RUSI kr125

Tire Type: Trial Type
Front Tire: 2.5x17
Rear Tire: 3.0x14x6pr
Spoke size: 4mm
Engine: Push Rod
Stator Type: 8 coils
Engine Sprocker: 14T
Rear Wheel Sprocket: 41T
They not giving details of the new Rusi KR150 yet.

The other Rusi Models shown are all 'U-Bone' 100-150cc

Old 04-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #159

Question for you fans of the Cyclone, I got to ride a Zong on Sunday, a used loaner with 3600 kms on it. A FEW things I noticed. The tank lasted me 200 kms. Is that normal? That's about 100kms/3.3 liters?!! Going on steep dirt roads I was mostly on first gear and the temp light flashed a couple of times (this bike has no fan from factory). Is this normal? The bike seems to lack a lot of UMMF! ANY NEWS ON THE RACING CDI? HAVE YOU LOCATED A SUITABLE UNIT AND $$$? Now I am wondering The engine seems to act as if it had a full cutoff throutle while riding for about 5 minutes (100 kms / h steady) Is there something wrong with carburation? Should be larger jets in order? Rode the bike for 240 kms 80% dirt, and it broke my butt. Has anyone done any improvement to the seat? Also I notice a lot of squiking, sounded like bad bushings in the rear shock area, and now watching Jeremy's Hamburger Hill video, I noticed the same insane squiking noise. Chinese bikes sound like this once offroaded? Do all Thanks for your answers ...

https://plus.google.com/photos/11291...OXphp-hsPmN0gE

Old 04-14-2012, 10:08 AM   #160

I can only answer wrt to my bike so hear my remarks:

The tank lasted me 200 kms. Is that normal? That's about 100kms/3.3 liters?!!

Yup...
Mine is at 26kms to 30kms/liter... 26 when mostly trails with high rev; 30 when mostly concretes/asphalt.
i actually proved it again today as i did more or less 250kms for 8liters with only 20% trail ride.
and yes the manual claims around 31kms/liter.

now ain't that a bonus?
it is for me...

Going on steep dirt roads I was mostly on first gear and the temp light flashed a couple of times (this bike has no fan from factory). Is this normal?

My bike has fan... and indeed first to 2nd gear only for real steep climb.
It should be for a <150cc engine.

The bike seems to lack a lot of UMMF! ANY NEWS ON THE RACING CDI? HAVE YOU LOCATED A SUITABLE UNIT AND $$$?
Now I am wondering The engine seems to act as if it had a full cutoff throutle while riding for about 5 minutes (100 kms / h steady) Is there something wrong with carburation?

I didn't exert much effort to find racing CDI. Although i give the same observation on throttle cut-off thing as you (could there be speed limiter, i don't know...)
Anyway I'm not into high speed for this bike obviously for my purpose.
I barely go 80kph on road and stays at 60kph max actually.
On trails? what can we get for such short bumpy stretch for such a small bike? I go for the torque the way i abuse this bike; and i'am still working on it.
So instead of CDI, i only did the following:
1. racing clutch springs
2. reduce the front sprocket teeth by 1 (from 16T to 15T)
3. opening the pipe and suppressing the sound (which i 30% succesful only), to give a little nitch at high rpm
So far so good i would say.... My bike has only 2800kms in ODO, so she is still a work in progress - so little time to play and to know her still...

Should be larger jets in order?

Definitely possible... But i don't have plans as i don't need the speed.

Rode the bike for 240 kms 80% dirt, and it broke my butt. Has anyone done any improvement to the seat?

Hehe... Yup, the seat can sore your butt.
I wear cycling shorts inside to help.
I am considering the aftermarket seat cover actually, because what's hurting is th edged stiches - if it's gone, the seat edges should become rounded.

Also I notice a lot of squiking, sounded like bad bushings in the rear shock area, and now watching Jeremy's Hamburger Hill video, I noticed the same insane squiking noise.

O yes, it popped out after ~1200kms trail riding.
I suspected the hard setting of the shocks i did... it worsen as i am over 200lbs now.
When i had her new, the shocks are really plush... but now.... grrr! 'still have to check with the mechanic but frankly i don't expect too much. (i already assume that i have to replace...)

Chinese bikes sound like this once offroaded? Do all Thanks for your answers ...

hmmm maybe... but look at the brighter side; because we all (zong fans) do.
We paid less than half for an equivalent Jap bike... e.g. KLX150 so why expect a perfect bike?
So some details can't be as nice, but i still believe imperfections can be tweaked according to the owner's preference... as what i am doing now

Here, showing you guys how warm it is here today...

[/b]

Old 04-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #161

some more pics from last saturday:

on a leisure 275km loop...

Old 04-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #162

You Zong is a good looking bike, Jeremy! I'm glad you are having fun riding. Thank you for posting the new photographs.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #163

Sprockets

Since I have not purchase a bike yet, but I am interested in the sprocket changes...Some people tell me that the Honda tornado 250 look the same as the Zong's. Is this true? The thing is Tornados come with 520 chains. What sprocket line fit this bike? BTW Jeremy, thanks for your reply.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy2011
Awesome photos, Jeremy! Thanks for sharing them. Did you visit Pagsanjan Falls during your ride? Do you have pics of the falls?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-02-2012, 02:45 AM   #165

Re: Sprockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsuz
Since I have not purchase a bike yet, but I am interested in the sprocket changes...Some people tell me that the Honda tornado 250 look the same as the Zong's. Is this true? The thing is Tornados come with 520 chains. What sprocket line fit this bike? BTW Jeremy, thanks for your reply.
Not so sure about it... But here's my zong:

and the tornado from the net...

hello weldangrind... no, we did not go to the waterfalls; but the picture is this:

------------------------------

sharing a hot day ride:

and sorry for my late replies...