Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #1

Should I buy a Zongshen Motard 200 TriaX? Off road?

Hello,

I recently purchased a lifan 200 GY-5A in Haiti and I am really loving it. But the other day I came across this guy.

zongshen1 by kthrel, on Flickr

Although Im not looking for a second bike now, I will be in the market for second bike sometime in July/August because I have a friend coming here to do a 10 day motorcycle trip, and its not possible to rent a bike here. We are going to buy and then resale. I really am not wanting to buy a seond bike, but I love the look of this one, and it seems really solid. Also, its a little shorter which is nice for me and my short legs. I was thinking I could buy it and use it for me, and let him use the Lifan on the trip.

My questions are; what do you know about this bike and what would I need to do to take it off road. I do 80% city driving, but even many of the roads in city are basically rock trails. Would I need to buy 17inch offroad tires or replace the wheels themselves with the standard 18 and 21 inch offroad rims. Is this bike good enough to pull the trigger on now, or not good enough and I should just wait? Price is 1,700.00 USD.

Also, I have seen this bike being sold as the Corven 200 Triax elsewhere on the web.

Kohl

Old 03-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #2

I don't know anything about that particular bike, but it's a nice looking supermoto. 17" dual sport tires aren't impossible to find, but 18" and 21" are easier (and often cheaper). That engine looks to be a Honda clone, given the sight glass, dipstick and clutch linkage locations.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #3

Agreed.

I'll add you're a good friend and I'm jealous. I'd love a motorcycle tour of Haiti. Maybe added onto a mission trip or something...

Old 03-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #4

I don't think we have that model in the US. If you only do light offroad get some dual sport tires and keep the 17" rims. It will be far cheaper and will keep the lower seat height.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #5

FastDoc- Come on down! Its a beautiful country and very fun by motorcycle. Do you do medical missions?

What would be the downfall to taking a bike like this Offroad? Suspension too stiff?

Old 03-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #6

The smaller tires and less ground clearance. If you get some knobbies it will be okay on easy trails and gravel/unpaved roads. Logs and big rocks would be a challenge.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:23 PM   #7

In particular, a 21-inch, front wheel will turn more nimbly, and surmount off road obstacles much better than a 17-inch, front wheel. As related by others, the larger tires will also afford more ground clearance, and offer a much better selection of aggressive tire treads, at far more reasonable prices.

However, if you are only going to do light, off road riding, the supermoto will do an adequate job.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #8

FastDoc- Come on down! Its a beautiful country and very fun by motorcycle. Do you do medical missions?

I do indeed.

My church is big into supporting Haiti and will be having a medical mission there later this summer...

Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #9

Doc, looks like you may be able to join them on their ride.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:16 AM   #10

Do you have an update for us, Benjamin?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-30-2012, 02:37 AM   #11

Yes, update please!

The Zongs are good engines, from the looks of it I have that 200 in one of my china quads, it is very reliable. Easy to work on. Got my motorcycle learners last week I am so stoked to get on a supermoto and ride.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #12

Hey guys. I havent bought it yet. Im still weighing my options. Because it is on the more expensive side (1700.00 vs 1200 for a lesser built dual sport) It may be sitting a while. Ill make up my mind in a week or so. Really its a money thing. Either I buy it now, or I wait until closer to the ride date and shop around for whatever dual sport I can find. Then buy it, ride it, and sell it. If I bought this one, I would likely sell my LIfan 200 I just bought.

Big decisions... But thanks for all the help so far.

Hmmm.... On the other hand... maybe I should buy it and just rent out my Lifan to expats that want to use a moto but aren't in country long enough to buy one....

Old 03-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin550
Hmmm.... On the other hand... maybe I should buy it and just rent out my Lifan to expats that want to use a moto but aren't in country long enough to buy one....
That sounds like a business opportunity that could grow! Would there be insurance hassles in Haiti?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin550
That sounds like a business opportunity that could grow! Would there be insurance hassles in Haiti?
My brother has been to the Phillippines a couple times for mission work. I don't know how he got around.

You need to come up with some tour routes and be a guide.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #15

Well, Im half serious and half kidding. The reality is in Haiti a motorcycle can be one of the absolute best ways to get around, both in the city and out. In the city, a motorcycle can take hour hour trip by car, and turn it into 15 minutes. And outside the city is motorcycle paradise. The same beautiful sights that would be a grueling 4 hour drive by car, are an adventure by motorcycle. The problem is Port-au-prince traffic. I dontk now anyone that would be willing to rent a motorcycle and then go through traffic in PAP. Fortunately they are in the process of making another international airport in Jacmel, Haiti wich is a very beautiful beach town with a relaxed atmosphere. And, it would be the perfect place for a motorcycle rental place. If ever I should decide to stay in haiti long term, it would certainly by my first endeavor.

What I was thinking is that I could rent it to Journalists/NGO workers that are only going to be here for a few weeks/months at a time and dont want to go through the hassle of buying a bike. Even if you wanted to take a moto trip, its not possible to rent a bike. There could be a small market for it...

Kohl