Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2022, 09:03 AM   #1

Right side peg problems

When I'm riding my Magician off road, I have to put my foot down quite a bit. It seems like everytime I put my right foot down, the peg flips up out of the way and I can't find it with my foot when it's flipped up. It needs to flip up for use of the kickstarter, but I'm thinking of welding it down because it constantly causes problems while riding in rocks and deep sand. Is there a way to make it flip back down automatically after it flips up from contact?

2016 Magician 250

Old 07-06-2022, 09:07 AM   #2

Is there a spring? If so , just remove the spring.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 07-06-2022, 09:09 AM   #3

return spring missing?

The footpegs on the Storm, the TBR7, have return spring on both sides. The left only on the Templar, but it has to be left in the "up" position for the kick starter to swing on that engine. Are you missing the return spring?

Old 07-06-2022, 12:37 PM   #4

I think it should have one of these, but it doesn't.

2016 Magician 250

Old 07-06-2022, 04:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
I tried it with the spring off, but I didn't like how it just flops around. I put a weaker spring on it which will work for kickstarting, not sure if it will come back down on its own while riding. If it doesn't I'm going to get a spring like the one on the other side, similar to the pic I posted. Too wet to ride off road right now after 5+ inches of rain.

2016 Magician 250

Old 07-06-2022, 06:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician16 View Post
I tried it with the spring off, but I didn't like how it just flops around. I put a weaker spring on it which will work for kickstarting, not sure if it will come back down on its own while riding. If it doesn't I'm going to get a spring like the one on the other side, similar to the pic I posted. Too wet to ride off road right now after 5+ inches of rain.
If it interferes with the kick starter then it might be deliberately left out. If you install a spring that works, you can use a piece of baling wire to hold it up while you kick start.You could store the wire for just such emergencies (battery low) by twisting some wire around a frame stay somewhere. That way, you can enjoy the benefits of the spring holding it out for you to put yer foot on lol!

The right footpeg on my Tempar has a spring, but it was clipped. I thought it was a defect and powersportsmax actually SENT ME A FOOTPEG when I sent them this pic. But all I needed was the spring (I thought!). The footpeg interferes with the kickstarter, so it was clearly a deliberate "clip"!!

Here is the left peg. You can see the squarebent "hook" that allows the spring to return the peg. Oh, it works fine:

Here is the right peg. SEE the kickstart just in front there? Yup. issue when the peg is down...Spring is clipped on the footpeg! I was amazed when powersportsmax sent a replacement (took like 2 days shipping!). They were heros, but now I have a spare right foot peg (no spring). I guess they really weren't sure what I was saying. But no problem, It drops down and as you can see by the size of the thing, NOT hard to find

Old 07-12-2022, 11:39 AM   #7

It hasn't rained in like 2 days, so I took it off road for a ride. I've also replaced the stock front tire with a Kenda Trakmaster. Without the new tire, I don't think I would have made it out of the OHV area. I slid into deep water filled ruts constantly and could barely get enough traction to pull back out. Right side peg stayed down for the most part.

2016 Magician 250

Old 07-12-2022, 12:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
He says the spring isn't returning the peg down. Removing it will be even worse.
Maybe the mechanism just needs cleaning and some grease so that the spring can do what it is supposed to.

Also, I don't know if the magician has the rubber insert that can be removed to expose the metal cage better. If so, that may also help when off road.

If kick starter runs into it in down position, you can wind a section of baling wire onto the frame somewhere. In a pinch, if battery is low you can maybe use it to hold up the foot pegs while you start it. Sounds like this is not a problem though.

Last edited by Thumper; 07-12-2022 at 01:25 PM.