Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2021, 05:34 PM   #1

BSR 250 vs Hawk 250 and where to buy

First off sorry if this has been talked about elsewhere. My search-foo in the forum is sometimes lacking.

I had asked advice on a previous thread; http://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=29753

With that in mind, I tried to purchase 4 Hawks from PowerSportsMax, but they don't like me using a credit card to buy 4 motorcycles. I can buy individually, but that did make me pause for thought as to what was going on with PowerSportsMax.

In the above thread there was also mention of a BSR 250 as being superior to the Hawk 250.

So, the question is, should I be pointing them (and me!) at the BSR 250?

And, either way, who would you recommend purchasing from?

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Old 10-01-2021, 05:39 PM   #2

Maybe start by reading this thread on the BSR250: https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=21929

That goes into a lot of detail, he mentions where he purchased from ..etc.. probably a good place to start.

I think both of these bikes are technically a Vitacci.. but I'm not sure.. it's hard to unwrap all the layer of misdirection and indirection that go on in this industry.

Old 10-01-2021, 07:39 PM   #3

I should mention that overall PowerSportsMax had been doing well. Very responsive on emails and such.

The weirdness came about when I ordered 4 bikes on credit card. They really, really want a wire transfer. I mean really. So much so they won't let me use the credit card.

I use credit because it gives me a little (probably little, but it helps) leverage with companies.

I asked if I could order one bike, 4 times, on cred and I could. Made no sense.

Old 10-01-2021, 09:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Maybe start by reading this thread on the BSR250: https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=21929

That goes into a lot of detail, he mentions where he purchased from ..etc.. probably a good place to start.

I think both of these bikes are technically a Vitacci.. but I'm not sure.. it's hard to unwrap all the layer of misdirection and indirection that go on in this industry.
Thanks Braindead. Really enjoyed the read.

I could only find (supposedly) the Raven 250 at ArlingtonPowerSports.

Hard to know what to think though. Superior Power Sports from the link above is not reviewed well. None of the Manny companies (e.g. ArlingtonPowerSports) are reviewed well. PowerSportsMax is not reviewed well.

Don't know what to think at this point.

Old 10-02-2021, 12:04 AM   #5

Check BBB, you can search without a location.. it'll warn you but that's the only way to search for these online companies.

They wanted a wire transfer because there's not possibility of a charge back, however it doesn't make sense that they'd accept 4 orders vs. one for 4. They may have a crappy deal with their CC processor perhaps they charge more points for single charges over some value. .. usually it's the opposite though.

Definitely pay with CC, you get a ton of legal protection and in my experience CC companies are a huge help with sketchy businesses.

Old 10-02-2021, 12:48 AM   #6

Ten 41, I bought a BSR 250 "Raven" (identical to the Enforcer) and don't have any thing bad to say about Powersportsmax, they always answered the phone and responded to emails so I don't know what's up with the credit card thing...it might be that 'their' bank or 'credit management' has put them on a limit. (For obvious reasons.) I think the bike is superior to the others simply because it is manufactured by Bashan...which is one of the premier, quality bikes (for the price) we have the luxury of buying here in America Here is my thread:https://chinariders.net/showthread.p...hybrid&t=28936

I have over 500 miles on mine and I have had ZERO issues with this bike. It starts instantly...and has never let me down!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210526_182439.jpg (52.9 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg 20210604_155510.jpg (57.9 KB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg 20210718_131354.jpg (70.0 KB, 392 views)

Old 10-02-2021, 03:42 AM   #7

I've purchased three bikes from Powersportsmax without a hitch. I suspect their CC processor simply has a limit on single amount charges
2021 Hawk 150 (RPS Viper)

Old 10-02-2021, 10:08 AM   #8

I got my TBR7 from powersportsmax in June and the transaction went good for me too. I mentioned in another thread that one of my tank plastics had a bent mounting tab and they refunded me $77 on my card.

Old 10-06-2021, 12:04 PM   #9

After contemplating the credit card issue, I have come to the conclusion that when you are purchasing a bike...that purchase is recorded as a legal instrument of money for a VIN number via a Bill of Sale...therefore that purchase must be separate from others. If something goes wrong with the sale, the credit card company doesn't want to be on the hook for 4 bikes in a transaction...only one at a time.

Old 10-07-2021, 11:51 AM   #10

Stewbrash That makes sense on the 4 at one purchase.

As an update, two of my sons were able to get Hawk 250's for $1300 a piece. One with 90 miles, and one with 60 miles.

Stewbrash is so convincing, I have tried ordering Raven 250's from Powersports, but something is wrong, and they want a call back. But when I call back, no one answers.

Oh well.

Old 10-07-2021, 02:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbrash View Post
After contemplating the credit card issue, I have come to the conclusion that when you are purchasing a bike...that purchase is recorded as a legal instrument of money for a VIN number via a Bill of Sale...therefore that purchase must be separate from others. If something goes wrong with the sale, the credit card company doesn't want to be on the hook for 4 bikes in a transaction...only one at a time.
What has led you to this conclusion? Reason I ask is that I write CC clearing software, never heard of passing VIN in CC transaction.. It could certainly be tacked onto one of the more freeform fields for use by POS systems however that information as far as I know is never going to be sent to any government agencies. Generally DMV's would expect a bill of sale to establish vehicle purchase price, and the seller should be providing bill of sale and MSO/MCO for each bike individually.

Also, the various third parties that handle 99% of card clearing in the U.S. can hardly manage to do basic functionality, if the DMV asked them to provide records or interface with their systems it would be a huge mess.

It may be a limitation of their internal systems, I don't think CC clearing has anything to do with it. I purchased 2 Triumphs on my discover card once, no problem.

Old 10-18-2021, 09:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbrash View Post
Ten 41, I bought a BSR 250 "Raven" (identical to the Enforcer) and don't have any thing bad to say about Powersportsmax, ...
Stewbrash, one of my sons and I went for the Raven and everything went through the order department but finally failed in the Warehouse. One of the few times Powersportsmax website and inventory didn't match!

I was disappointed because your thread really made me want to try out the Raven. Would be a good comparison with my other two sons Hawks.

In the end we had to go with the Hawks, which they did have in stock.

To everyone, once again thanks for the help.