Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #1

Chonqing Huansong ATV Help Please!!!

My son just bought a 2006 Chongqing Huansong ATV ( type AYW VTT ) and he is having issues with it after owning it for less than a day. It runs fine but it's having transmission problems and it quit moving. We opened up the transmission casing and it appears to have engine oil in it. ATV's are not my thing and I know squat about them but my neighbor does and he thinks that someone put the wrong oil in the transmission. Is this the right oil or should it have ATF type oil in it? Can anyone recommend a reliable North American parts source for this thing or somewhere where I can get a shop/repair manual for it? Any help will be appreciated.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #2

Please post a picture of it, how many cc's is it? What number is on the engine (164fml or something like that). What is your location?

Old 03-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #3

Welcome!

If you can provide more detail, we have a better chance of being able to guide you.

It sounds like this ATV might have a manual clutch, like a motorcycle. If so, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the clutch cable needs to be adjusted.

Some pics would really help.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #4

Thanks guys! Here are some photos that I just took showing the machine and engine as it now sits. There are the following digits stamped on the top of the block -
HS171FMM - and beneath those are the numbers as follows: ( engine serial number?? )
There is no clutch cable as it shifts like a motor cycle using your foot. As for my location, I am in Oliver, B.C. Again, any help will be appreciated.

[/img]

Old 03-21-2011, 05:10 PM   #5

Looks to me like a 250cc with auto clutch. Shaft drive. Not sure on what it is cloned from.

For oil. Any 4stroke motorcycle/atv or automotive without the energy conserving star. No ATF needed.

From the pictures is looks like it has some hours on it. I would first check the clutch adjustment. Not sure where it is on that particular engine.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/arc.../t-626129.html

Old 03-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #6

It looks to be yamaha to me. I have a 225 shaft drive yamaha here. Will take some comparision pics.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Looks to me like a 250cc with auto clutch. Shaft drive. Not sure on what it is cloned from.

For oil. Any 4stroke motorcycle/atv or automotive without the energy conserving star. No ATF needed.

From the pictures is looks like it has some hours on it. I would first check the clutch adjustment. Not sure where it is on that particular engine.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/arc.../t-626129.html
+1 on the automatic clutch adjustment. Taking it apart may have been premature.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #8

Quote:
It looks to be yamaha to me. I have a 225 shaft drive yamaha here. Will take some comparision pics.
:? The guy who sold the machine to my son claimed that it was a Yamaha but the only thing on it that bears the name "Yamaha" is some padding on the handle bars. The tag on the front of the machine says that it was manufactured by Chongqing Huansong in the 8th month of 2006. The machine has had a short but hard life and my son bought it without first consulting with my wife and I. Had I seen the machine, I can assure you that he would not have bought it for the $400.00 that he paid.
On a less depressing note, it does run well.. I understand it then to be probably a clone of a Yamaha ATV including the engine? Is it possible that Yamaha parts may interchange with what is on this machine? I know about cars and trucks - spent my whole liufe working on them but I know nothing about quads and ATV's as they have never interested me what so ever. Do you think that a Yamaha service manual would be applicable to this machine? This whole thing makes my head hurt......... :(

Old 03-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #9

I think this the adjustment.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #10

Quote:
I think this the adjustment.

My son and I are just heading out to the shop now to see what we can figure out. He said that the machine was working OK and then suddenly it would not go into gear.. he then proceeded on his own to tear it apart.. Afterr looking at it again, I am inclined to agree with you that there are likely no issues with the transmission but rather the problem may be the shifter mechanism. *sighs* It's going to be one of those days... again - any suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #11

You'll be able to fix it I'm sure. Guys who know more about these ATV's will talk you through it. After a little love I bet it will run and ride well and be worth the $400.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #12

I would look at the clutch first. Will try to snap some pics of the yamaha engine I have. It looks alot like that.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:42 PM   #13

Take a look at this. Looks like an 225dx clone to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamah...Q5fAccessories

Old 03-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #14

That looks similar but not identical.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #15

My neighbor figures that there could very well be a spring that goes over the end of the black rod that is sticking up on an angle in the pic below.. he suggested that the spring may be needed to keep things from moving about on the slider shaft for the shifter - any ideas on this or does anyone have a shop manual that shows this sort of a set up? Justin ( my son ) twisted off the bolt that holds the slotted end of the shifter rod in place atop the box - I managed to drill it and get it removed and found another bolt in my metric bolt bucket.

The rubber boot has been destroyed - it was shredded so I removed what was left - I believe that this should be replaced before the unit is used - am I right? Dumb question, I know..*sighs* - but my son needs to hear this from someone else.. you know how that works if you have young 'uns. :wink: It appears that I may have to remove the back carriage and differential from the machine to get the new boot on.. I am wondering how much mud and water has already gotten into the diff with this boot being destroyed.. I am assuming that it will require normal 90W gear lube in the differential when we change the oil??

OK.. we have breakage here - behind the gear box on the driver's side ( left side ) of the machine - can you please give me an idea as to how crucial this is? It is where the back of the bear box cover attaches. This would appear to be a difficult piece to replace.. I really need to find an online manual that I can download.... any suggestions? I know that there are places where manuals can be downloaded for free for cars and trucks - but what about ATV's? Sorry to be such a bother and I really DO appreciate the help and the time that you guys are giving us here..