Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2022, 04:34 PM   #1

X-Pro Titan 250 DLX street-legal in Texas?

Hello all,
I am interested in getting the X-Pro Titan 250 DLX from PowersportsMax. (The DLX has a headlight, mirrors, taillight, back/front signal indicators.) With current pricing, it would be less than $1750 shipped to TX. However, I would be using the bike both on-road and off. Is the bike street-legal in TX, and has anybody tried to get title and plates here? Thank you.

Old 01-12-2022, 05:11 PM   #2

Hopefully someone is able to share their experience in TX for the Titan DLX. I can only share mine in Virginia. it came with a title/bill of sale that stated "Dirt Bike" but luckily since another member already registered theirs in VA as the first one, my transaction went super smooth and the DMV person found the bike in their system. But for the first time register, they had to fill out an off-road conversion form and then send that to the state capital and wait for paperwork back and then go to DMV after that.
Worst case, you'll have to be that first person in TX and hopefully they have an off-road only to on-road conversion process for registration that allows it to be plated.

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 01-12-2022, 06:25 PM   #3

Thank you. I've been on the fence for quite a while, and your recent posts on the matter reinforced the idea that this particular bike checks all the boxes for me. Great job describing your experiences.

Now, that will be irrelevant if I can't ride it, unfortunately.

Old 01-12-2022, 09:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKdiver1 View Post
Thank you. I've been on the fence for quite a while, and your recent posts on the matter reinforced the idea that this particular bike checks all the boxes for me. Great job describing your experiences.

Now, that will be irrelevant if I can't ride it, unfortunately.
The older model Orion RXB250L was nearly identical in looks to the Titan, but the Orion had a few features the Titan did not have (adjustable suspension, better stock carb, etc). Powersportsmax has connections directly to China as it is rumored the principals of the company actually live in China. They have connections to get most all the Chinese bikes sold in the US and price them low enough to be competitive to most all other mail-order companies, and they obviously have pull with manufacturers to get some of the bikes re-labeled as 'X-Pro ______________' (fill in the blank, such as Hawk 250). The Titan seemed to be a 'challenge' thrown towards Orion who I believe are the only ones to carry Orion branded bikes (Orion, I believe, are OEM'd by Apollo), and my guess would not allow Powersportsmax to sell the Orion lineup including the RXB250L. So, what does Orion do? They get hold of slightly larger engines (249cc vs. the 229cc that used to be found in the older Orion) and they changed the plastics.

I know they are more expensive than the Titan, but Orion's showroom and mail-order HQ is in Texas, so you would have the added security of knowing for sure if you could register in Texas or not (I am guessing there is no problem). Plus the features that make the Orion 'better' than the Titan. But, I am attracted to the Titan due to its price point, and the fact that I know I could register it in Arizona, and I don't need all the 'extras' of the Orion.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-12-2022, 10:28 PM   #5

Thank you for the feedback. I contacted them on the same matter for a Hawk (except for the EFI DLX), and their response was pretty wishy-washy, as in "Worst case you can register them under a bonded title" which is another degree of complication. So there probably isn't any direct solution, or degree of commitment from the dealer.

Old 01-13-2022, 07:42 AM   #6

Making something LEGAL .. In TEXAS? 🤔🤔🤔

(Only joking 😂)

Old 01-13-2022, 10:23 AM   #7

I know it used to be pretty easy, but not cheap, to convert off road bikes to street legal bikes here in Texas. I haven't checked in several years. It involved putting on all the lights and a horn, getting it inspected, then refilling the title,then registering it. Probably not worth it.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 01-13-2022, 10:40 AM   #8

Luckily the Titan DLX has all of the requirements (lights, horn, etc) to be street-legal so it may just wind up being extra hurdles with paperwork and associated paperwork filing costs that delay it a bit.. best to call your DMV... but look at it this way, you will be paving the way for the next Titan DLX purchaser to have a nice and smooth transaction - paying it forward

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 01-13-2022, 10:57 AM   #9

Texas is pretty easy going with rules in general. Heck we can ride without a helmet, no turn signals, and carry a gun without a permit while riding. Lol
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 01-13-2022, 03:26 PM   #10

Irate

I am currently waiting for results on title/tags for a Hawk250. I live in Montague County in Tx. My tax office refused to tag this bike based on the mfg. name at the top of the MCO. More calls higher up the tax food chain proved fruitless. You can read my post a few posts previous to yours.
What angers me is ALL official Texas government publishing's to the public only define what a motorcycle is and the requirements for street legality(lights,horn,etc). Nowhere in the DMV website, or anywhere else, is there a listing of approved mfgs. or any notice that such a list exists.
Long story short, I took a $260 gamble and drove to the dealer in the metropolex who assured me he could get the bike titled and tagged. I signed the Texas Application for Title papers in his office and gave him the fees,MCO, and other misc. papers allegedly required. I'm ten days out from that process and just watching the mailbox. Who knows?
I don't have much hope but we'll see.
I really wish I had the funds to challenge the GREAT STATE OF TEXAS in court but it seems more trouble than it's worth.
Born in this state, never lived anywhere else, and I get more weary of their crap on a daily basis. I'm also a retired cop with 25 years on the street so I was up close and personal with the BS on that side as well.

Old 01-13-2022, 03:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTaoRider View Post
I know it used to be pretty easy, but not cheap, to convert off road bikes to street legal bikes here in Texas. I haven't checked in several years. It involved putting on all the lights and a horn, getting it inspected, then refilling the title,then registering it. Probably not worth it.
Battery is also required, for lights, turn signal, horn to work if stalled. I think X-Pro is covered there, but others may need a regulator or rectifier and battery for the street legal conversion!

Old 01-13-2022, 05:22 PM   #12

Sorry for the rant. What I meant to convey was that even if the bike meets all the requirements the state specifies to be "street legal" they might still refuse to title/tag it. Thus it would not be legal to be driven on public roads. That is my current problem. YMMV

Old 01-14-2022, 12:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed P View Post
Sorry for the rant. What I meant to convey was that even if the bike meets all the requirements the state specifies to be "street legal" they might still refuse to title/tag it. Thus it would not be legal to be driven on public roads. That is my current problem. YMMV
Did you mail-order your bike? It seems that with all the 'Manny' dealerships and others in Texas, combined with RPS being headquartered there, the Hawk is a perfect loophole bike, and it would seem that buying from a physical dealer would offer no problems in registration (I am guessing they automatically register bikes for you). That being said, the Hawk and Magician have been loophole bikes for several years in numerous states as they are EPA certified as 'Offroad dirtbikes' according to the EPA, with many states flip-flopping over the years with them registering them and later on no longer registering them. Is that the case with Texas?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 01-14-2022, 02:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Did you mail-order your bike? It seems that with all the 'Manny' dealerships and others in Texas, combined with RPS being headquartered there, the Hawk is a perfect loophole bike, and it would seem that buying from a physical dealer would offer no problems in registration (I am guessing they automatically register bikes for you). That being said, the Hawk and Magician have been loophole bikes for several years in numerous states as they are EPA certified as 'Offroad dirtbikes' according to the EPA, with many states flip-flopping over the years with them registering them and later on no longer registering them. Is that the case with Texas?

I've been researching that, and it looks like all the Manny-owned stores do offer the ability to title and register some of the bikes they sell in TX - the ones that are street-legal, or appear to be. For about $135 extra, in addition to TX state taxes. I quote: "Note: If you are a resident from Texas, you will be charged additional money for a tag, title and registration fee. Our system will charge you tax only. Please select Texas from the Shipping Options to add TITLE FEE, TAG FEE & INSPECTION fees amount." This note is displayed on specific bike pages only, like the TBR7, both Hawks, the Raven, the Magician, the Roketa DB-08, the Bashan Motomax 250, and the Apollo DB-36 Deluxe. Weird, the BMS Enduro 250 CRP, listed as a dual sport, does not have the note, or the extra $135 in the TX shipping option.

Others, such as Orion do not - they only supply the usual MCO.

Last edited by OKdiver1; 01-14-2022 at 02:58 PM.

Old 01-14-2022, 03:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKdiver1 View Post
I've been researching that, and it looks like all the Manny-owned stores do offer the ability to title and register some of the bikes they sell in TX - the ones that are street-legal, or appear to be. For about $135 extra, in addition to TX state taxes. I quote: "Note: If you are a resident from Texas, you will be charged additional money for a tag, title and registration fee. Our system will charge you tax only. Please select Texas from the Shipping Options to add TITLE FEE, TAG FEE & INSPECTION fees amount." This note is displayed on specific bike pages only, like the TBR7, both Hawks, the Raven, the Magician, the Roketa DB-08, the Bashan Motomax 250, and the Apollo DB-36 Deluxe. Weird, the BMS Enduro 250 CRP, listed as a dual sport, does not have the note, or the extra $135 in the TX shipping option. Others, such as Orion do not - they only supply the usual MCO.
The $135 fee seems to be the title/registration fees for Texas, in addition to sales tax they would charge you guys. CSC does something similar with California buyers where you need to contact them and go through the process to register the bike in California (as well as pay state sales tax and DMV fees) since CSC is a registered California dealer. I don't believe the BMS has been available for quite some time, which might be the reason they do not have that note for that particular bike as they probably have not updated it for that bike. The Hawk and Magician appear to be registerable, at least through them. The other bikes you mention are 49 EPA/DOT legal as 'On-Highway Motorcycles' so should not have any issues in Texas, especially coming from a licensed dealer. As I had mentioned, some states had seemingly stopped plating and registering the Hawk, but from what I recall on the Hawk registration thread, some members from different parts of particular states could still register them. Kind of perplexing if you ask me . I am guessing Orion does not want to deal with registering their own bikes as I am assuming the Orion-branded bikes are also technically EPA certified as 'Offroad dirtbikes'. But, they sell street EPA/DOT bikes, so am guessing they can get away with selling their bikes as if they are mail-order products whether the customer is in Texas or not, and it is up to the individual buyers to deal with registration
on their own.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Tags
x-pro titan