Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2014, 01:08 AM   #526

The Russians got the RX3 with EFI, and I think Zongshen only offers the RX3 with EFI. I don't think the motorcycle could pass U.S. or European emission standards without EFI.

I own four motorcycles with carburetors. However, I am eager to enter the 21st century, and get an engine with EFI. I like single cylinder motorcycles with small displacement engines, but I don't see how a bike this large can make enough power and get decent fuel economy without EFI.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #527

We're having a contest to identify our most-frequently heard question at the Lucas Off-Road Expo yesterday (we'll be out there today, too). You can weigh in on our FB page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Calif...y/114098438079.

Old 10-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #528

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSpruce View Post
Ditto.

I wonder how soon CSC will start adding additional models to their lineup?
Spud and I like the Zongshen Rapido; it would be cool if CSC imported that.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #529

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
The Russians got the RX3 with EFI, and I think Zongshen only offers the RX3 with EFI. I don't think the motorcycle could pass U.S. or European emission standards without EFI.

I own four motorcycles with carburetors. However, I am eager to enter the 21st century, and get an engine with EFI. I like single cylinder motorcycles with small displacement engines, but I don't see how a bike this large can make enough power and get decent fuel economy without EFI.
I appreciate what you're saying, but it has been proven several times that a carb can make more power than EFI. That said, it can't be as efficient across the board, nor can it make changes on the fly.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-05-2014, 10:27 PM   #530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I appreciate what you're saying, but it has been proven several times that a carb can make more power than EFI. That said, it can't be as efficient across the board, nor can it make changes on the fly.
In regards to racing applications, at a fixed elevation, et cetera, I see what you are saying. However, I ride from 4,400 to 10,400 feet above sea level. Also, at my location, the temperature changes quite a bit from morning, to noon, to evening, even in the summertime. Therefore, I'm sure I will get more power, as well as fuel efficiency from EFI. I think many other motorcycle owners are riding in similar situations.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Last edited by SpudRider; 10-05-2014 at 11:03 PM.

Old 10-05-2014, 10:50 PM   #531

I'm looking forward to having a fuel injected bike (I already have a carbed dr350se), but then again I pretty much plan on leaving this bike alone and just riding it mostly on road and take some longer trips with it.

A carb is great if you like to tinker and mess with a bike since you can very directly control the fueling, where as an EFI just does it for you for the most part, which is a con to some, but a pro to others.

On a different note, I did sign up for this bike and I wonder how taking delivery is going to be, more specifically will we be getting a title right off the bat or will we have to do some DMV paperwork.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:48 AM   #532

Welcome to these forums; we are glad you joined us.

I'm sure Joe can answer your questions about a California title. If he doesn't drop by to visit this thread in a few days, I'm sure he can answer your questions by telephone.

In Idaho, I just need to take a bill of sale along with the MCO (Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin) to the local DMV. After I pay my taxes, I will be issued a license plate immediately. The title will arrive in the mail about a week later.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-06-2014, 12:58 AM   #533

Quote:
In regards to racing applications, at a fixed elevation, et cetera, I see what you are saying. However, I ride from 4,400 to 10,400 feet above sea level. Also, at my location, the temperature changes quite a bit from morning, to noon, to evening, even in the summertime. Therefore, I'm sure I will get more power, as well as fuel efficiency from EFI. I think many other motorcycle owners are riding in similar situations.
I agree with you. The ability of an EFI system to adapt to the environment is certainly the best feature.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:59 AM   #534

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderTheGreat View Post
I'm looking forward to having a fuel injected bike (I already have a carbed dr350se), but then again I pretty much plan on leaving this bike alone and just riding it mostly on road and take some longer trips with it.

A carb is great if you like to tinker and mess with a bike since you can very directly control the fueling, where as an EFI just does it for you for the most part, which is a con to some, but a pro to others.

On a different note, I did sign up for this bike and I wonder how taking delivery is going to be, more specifically will we be getting a title right off the bat or will we have to do some DMV paperwork.
Welcome! Thanks for signing up.

Old 10-06-2014, 01:10 AM   #535

From the CSC blog (about delivery, and whether you want to build it yourself or have them PDI the bike), they state that a $35 DMV fee will apply for California residents. This suggests that DMV paperwork will be done at time of sale and you'll be mailed the title.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #536

I used to be in the "carb only crowd". I had questions about reliablity, maitenance, etc. After owning 3 EFI bikes now and riding well over 40000 miles on these bikes there has only been one problem with all three of them. Yamaha, Husky and a Honda, all with EFI have all had an off idle stumble. These bikes all came from the factory extremely lean apparently to pass the EPA sniffer test. All have been easy fixes, the Honda an EJK, the Husky a spoofer and the Yamahan jumping the clutch switch to fool the ECU the bike was being started hence enriching the fueling. I suspect the RX-3 will have some type of fueling niggle with an equally simple fix. Perfomance wise I now will always pick an EFI over a carbed bike anyday.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 10-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #537

I'd pick EFI too on a street bike but not on a bike I'd be riding alone in remote areas. You would think EFI systems used on cars would be reliable but I've had two fail over the last several years. The computer went out on my Toyota pickup causing me a lot of grief. No way to diagnose the computer except to eliminate everything else and plug in a new one to see if it works. Also had the fuel injector resistor go out on my Suzuki Swift. There are too many parts that could fail and leave me stuck 50 miles from help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
I used to be in the "carb only crowd". I had questions about reliablity, maitenance, etc. After owning 3 EFI bikes now and riding well over 40000 miles on these bikes there has only been one problem with all three of them. Yamaha, Husky and a Honda, all with EFI have all had an off idle stumble. These bikes all came from the factory extremely lean apparently to pass the EPA sniffer test. All have been easy fixes, the Honda an EJK, the Husky a spoofer and the Yamahan jumping the clutch switch to fool the ECU the bike was being started hence enriching the fueling. I suspect the RX-3 will have some type of fueling niggle with an equally simple fix. Perfomance wise I now will always pick an EFI over a carbed bike anyday.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
If the EFI for the RX3 has a 'fueling niggle,' we will certainly appreciate some experienced input.

The Delphi MT05 ECU reports error codes to help diagnose EFI problems. See page 61 of the Delphi Small Engine EMS Service Manual.

http://www.huntermotorcycles.com.au/...l%20Manual.pdf

Do we need to purchase the Delphi Motor Scanner, or will other scanners be able to access the error codes? Many Harley Davidson motorcycles employ Delphi EFI systems. Could we go to an HD dealer to have them read the error codes? If anyone can answer these questions, please do contribute your knowledge.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
I'd pick EFI too on a street bike but not on a bike I'd be riding alone in remote areas. You would think EFI systems used on cars would be reliable but I've had two fail over the last several years. The computer went out on my Toyota pickup causing me a lot of grief. No way to diagnose the computer except to eliminate everything else and plug in a new one to see if it works. Also had the fuel injector resistor go out on my Suzuki Swift. There are too many parts that could fail and leave me stuck 50 miles from help.
My Zongshen ZS200GY-2 employs a Teikei MV28 carburetor. This constant velocity (CV) carburetor is virtually identical to the carburetor installed on the currently manufactered, Yamaha TW200 motorcycle.

My Honda XR650L employs a Keihin CV carburetor. My Honda CRF250X employs a Keihin carburetor with an accelerator pump.

I have all three carburetors jetted properly, and all three bikes run without a hiccup from 4,400 to 10,400 feet above sea level. Therefore, I know carburetors work well, produce good power, and operate reliably over large differences in elevation, so long as you take the time to set them up with the proper fuel jets.

Several dirt bikes employ the Zongshen NC250 engine with a carburetor. In fact, the first version of the Zongshen RX3 employed a carburetor. The carburetor and CDI units are readily available from China, so it would not be too difficult to convert the RX3 from EFI to a carburetor, if desired.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #540

Quote:
If the EFI for the RX3 has a 'fueling niggle,' we will certainly appreciate some experienced input.

The Delphi MT05 ECU reports error codes to help diagnose EFI problems. See page 61 of the Delphi Small Engine EMS Service Manual.

http://www.huntermotorcycles.com.au/...l%20Manual.pdf

Do we need to purchase the Delphi Motor Scanner, or will other scanners be able to access the error codes? Many Harley Davidson motorcycles employ Delphi EFI systems. Could we go to an HD dealer to have them read the error codes? If anyone can answer these questions, please do contribute your knowledge.
Any idea what the scanner connector looks like?