Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reveeen
At the CDI it would appear: (unplugging CDI and checking at connector bike side)
With a 12V test light:
Green is -12V
Black/yellow fires the coil, and feeds the tach (check it is not grounded once you temporarily disconnect the coil)
Black/red is +12V (with the key on)

Ohm meter:
Blue/yellow, green/white: (pick up coil) check for continuity with ohm meter, guess? 700+ ohms, cranking, another guess .8 volts ac

You need a battery to start this!
This sounds like good troubleshooting advice.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Don't give up, Doc; I'm sure we can figure things out. For starters, I would certainly check the compression to eliminate it as one of the potential problems. For the engine to work we need spark, fuel, and air (along with compression, proper timing, et cetera). After replacing all the components in the electrical system it appears the spark is fine; perhaps it is time to look for problems elsewhere.
Spud
My thought is to check that you are pumping air. Good suction at the carb? Pull the header and see if you can feel air moving when it spins over?
Many moons ago at a part-time job:
I had a customer bring in a lawnmower that would not start. We tried everything you've done, so far. We had spark. Good compression, Gas and starting fluid...no luck.
Finally pulled the muffler it was built around the shaft and found a dirt dobber nest clogging the exhaust port??? 8O
Bill R
Must have been a lawnboy. I have seen that happen before.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #123

I've not worked on the bike for a week or two. I will keep you guys up to date when I reassume the project.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:11 AM   #124

Hey Doc, im right there with ya,. kinda lost interest and not only that but being pissed off as well. Id love to kick it over, hook a rope behind my truck and drag it down the highway! Or take it out in the ocean and make a good sinker out of it!!!
Heck, it looks brand new with on 426 miles on it. go figure? Never heard of such crap!!

Old 01-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #125

You know, there have been some instances where a pick up coil was too far away from the flywheel. Usually it results in a situation where a bike will start when being boosted but not when self starting. Maybe the the pick up coil is so far away the spark is too weak even to start while being boosted?

Old 01-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #126

Missed the starting of this thread but think I saw this very bike on craigslist last fall. Couldn't get the time to go get it.

Try starting with the battery on a charger or while jumped from a car.

Remove or disconnect battery and connect a known good one. They can fail in wierd ways.

Also try starting fluid as it's more volatile. Is it getting gas? Too much gas?

Lastly what were the compression results. Seems that these had some problems when the oil was overfilled (it should be vertical not on the sidestand when checking oil level) and they'd blow the rings as chugs of oil were sucked into the engine. That could explain the previous owners experiences.

Check and/or bypass all clutch, kill, sidestand switches and/or jumpers if not used.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #127

Thanks and good points. I've covered all the bases so far except ID'ing and cutting the kill wire into the CDI and checking the compression. I hope the compression is OK, it seems good but who knows. :?:

Old 01-06-2011, 04:48 PM   #128

Doc, I kinda figured your troubleshooting would've covered it but just wanted to mention those points in case. The thumb over the spark plug hole is a pretty good test for sufficient compression, just press really hard.

Also, not that you're giving up yet, but if you want to unload the GS let me know. I'm considering some parts swapping to the Sierra. Love those 17" wheels and dual disks among other things.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #129

I'll try to fix it a little more. If I cant get it running how does $250 sound and I'll meet you in Vancouver? I'm thinking about getting a new KLX250 and there is one there for $3,988.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #130

Clean title in hand and about $200 of new Zong electrical parts...

Looks perfect, almost brand new. Just dpesn't run the POS. :roll:

Old 01-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #131

I wish we were closer Doc. I'd love to take a crack at it. Between the two of us, it would be running before too long.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #132

True, my friend. I'm not done with it yet though, it's just on the back burner. I'll work on it a little more before moving on. :wink:

Old 01-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I'll try to fix it a little more. If I cant get it running how does $250 sound and I'll meet you in Vancouver? I'm thinking about getting a new KLX250 and there is one there for $3,988.
I hope you get it going, I hate to see a bike die.

$250 sounds good. I just need to pass it through the Boss and uncover some space in the crammed shop. She knows my only mistress will have wheels as feet, but she probably didn't know I wanted a harem.

I'm hoping the forks, wheels and possibly fairing will bolt on the the Sierra with minimal modification. I'm going for an adventure/motard theme. The rest will go to ebay or craigslist.

Please keep me up to date on your decision.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones33
She knows my only mistress will have wheels as feet, but she probably didn't know I wanted a harem.
That's a great line! I shared that with my wife and she said "Gee, that feels familiar."

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #135

[quote="katoranger"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillR
Must have been a lawnboy. I have seen that happen before.
Give the man a seegar...
Exactly.
Bill R