Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Everything Else
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2017, 09:33 PM   #16

Just ordering up the last of my parts this weekend. The steel will be coming as well. I'm excited to make some progress and get the frame finished. It will be done this month. The Hemi engine will be built over the Winter. The Coleman should get me onto my hunting land without a problem.

I'm trying to determine the length to stretch the frame rails. These bikes will comeback toward the rider on steep sections.
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E
1979 Yamaha XS650 Special II

Old 08-31-2017, 10:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
Just ordering up the last of my parts this weekend. The steel will be coming as well. I'm excited to make some progress and get the frame finished. It will be done this month. The Hemi engine will be built over the Winter. The Coleman should get me onto my hunting land without a problem.

I'm trying to determine the length to stretch the frame rails. These bikes will comeback toward the rider on steep sections.
If you had more time i would almost suggest making it into something like that utility bike above. Couldn't you stretch the bike the length of the seat and place the seat on the stretched section to give yourself some frame rail to attach a rack or box. Would shift the motor weight more under you in the process.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 09-02-2017, 12:12 AM   #18

The frame was cut just before the rear portion of the seat. That's the section of frame that's straight. Keeping the engine in the stock location will make the bike easier to maneuver uphill, by keeping most of the weight forward. Keeping the rider weight forward will also make going uphill smoother without the front coming off the ground. I've noticed this is a problem on the CT200U in YouTube videos. The bike has front and rear racks but a small area will be added behind the seat for my dog, a chainsaw, hand tools, etc... I'll carrier a Rotopax with fuel on the front all the time. A toolbox with parts, oil, bike tools and a first aid kit will go behind the engine on the frame. This should come together quickly as the engine just bolts in as a unit. There is no wiring except for a kill switch. The brakes may take a little time. Adding a brake to a jackshaft would be super easy to do, but brakes on each wheel would stop it better.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 09-03-2017, 10:54 AM   #19

Quote:
The frame was cut just before the rear portion of the seat. That's the section of frame that's straight. Keeping the engine in the stock location will make the bike easier to maneuver uphill, by keeping most of the weight forward. Keeping the rider weight forward will also make going uphill smoother without the front coming off the ground. I've noticed this is a problem on the CT200U in YouTube videos. The bike has front and rear racks but a small area will be added behind the seat for my dog, a chainsaw, hand tools, etc... I'll carrier a Rotopax with fuel on the front all the time. A toolbox with parts, oil, bike tools and a first aid kit will go behind the engine on the frame. This should come together quickly as the engine just bolts in as a unit. There is no wiring except for a kill switch. The brakes may take a little time. Adding a brake to a jackshaft would be super easy to do, but brakes on each wheel would stop it better.

SamM

Ahh ok did not realize you had cut it behind the seat...well..carry on then lol
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 09-04-2017, 03:31 AM   #20

Thanks, Darkrider! lol

My plan is to put in a full day on it, later today. I'm up far too late as it is. Still waiting on a lot of parts to arrive. I just realized that I did not order the steel for the rotor mounts. That needs to be done tomorrow as well. I will need to get the mounting plates cut and drilled.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 09-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #21

Quote:
Thanks, Darkrider! lol

My plan is to put in a full day on it, later today. I'm up far too late as it is. Still waiting on a lot of parts to arrive. I just realized that I did not order the steel for the rotor mounts. That needs to be done tomorrow as well. I will need to get the mounting plates cut and drilled.

SamM
Def going to be interesting to see how this all works out. I may have a lead on an old bike from the mid to late 60s called a Tote Goat. From what i am understanding of it so far it is basically an adult sized version of the typical mini bike that spawned your Coleman. Sort of a predecessor to the Rokans.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 09-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Def going to be interesting to see how this all works out. I may have a lead on an old bike from the mid to late 60s called a Tote Goat. From what i am understanding of it so far it is basically an adult sized version of the typical mini bike that spawned your Coleman. Sort of a predecessor to the Rokans.
If you get a chance to pick up a Tote Gote, DO NOT pass on it. I would love to have one. A buddy of mine had a very nice Gote that sat in his storage building for years and years. I tried to buy it many, many times but he would not sell it to me. He moved and we lost contact for awhile but a few years ago, I saw him out and offered him $200 for the Tote Gote. He just look down speechless. He had sold it the previous day for $25. Unbelievable! He had totally forgotten that I asked him about that bike every time I saw him. Even after me tell him over and over, he didn't realize what the Gote was and what he had. He just thought it was a mini bike. Crazy!

The Tote Gote was designed in 1957 and was sold by the Bonham Corporation until they closed in 1970. It was first called the 'Mechanical Gote' and was developed by Ralph Bonham for hunters to carry or 'tote' game animals out of remote hunting grounds.

The Rokon series of motorcycles was first designed in 1958 by Charlie Fehn. It was original named Trailmaker. Nethercutt Industries bought the designs in 1960 and named it Trail-Breaker. The first bikes were manufactured and sold by Nethercutt and Rokon was not founded until 1963 to sell and then, manufacture those bikes when Nethercutt lost interest in them. Ownership of the design and company has changed several times. They are now made in New Hampshire by Tom Blais. The history is very interesting.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E

Old 09-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #23

Quote:
If you get a chance to pick up a Tote Gote, DO NOT pass on it. I would love to have one. A buddy of mine had a very nice Gote that sat in his storage building for years and years. I tried to buy it many, many times but he would not sell it to me. He moved and we lost contact for awhile but a few years ago, I saw him out and offered him $200 for the Tote Gote. He just look down speechless. He had sold it the previous day for $25. Unbelievable! He had totally forgotten that I asked him about that bike every time I saw him. Even after me tell him over and over, he didn't realize what the Gote was and what he had. He just thought it was a mini bike. Crazy!

The Tote Gote was designed in 1957 and was sold by the Bonham Corporation until they closed in 1970. It was first called the 'Mechanical Gote' and was developed by Ralph Bonham for hunters to carry or 'tote' game animals out of remote hunting grounds.

The Rokon series of motorcycles was first designed in 1958 by Charlie Fehn. It was original named Trailmaker. Nethercutt Industries bought the designs in 1960 and named it Trail-Breaker. The first bikes were manufactured and sold by Nethercutt and Rokon was not founded until 1963 to sell and then, manufacture those bikes when Nethercutt lost interest in them. Ownership of the design and company has changed several times. They are now made in New Hampshire by Tom Blais. The history is very interesting.

SamM

Oh, Ok so they were both designed to do the same basic idea but two different ways about it. I will find out soon enough about the gote. As far as i know so far it is just a rolling chassis with no motor. Easy enough problem to solve.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 09-04-2017, 01:21 PM   #24

X2 on not passing up on a Tote Goat. I'd love to have one.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-05-2017, 09:53 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
X2 on not passing up on a Tote Goat. I'd love to have one.
What is amusing is the fact it is closer to your location then it is to me lol
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 09-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
What is amusing is the fact it is closer to your location then it is to me lol
Is that an opportunity to meet for a coffee? Where is it?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-05-2017, 01:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Is that an opportunity to meet for a coffee? Where is it?
Not quite sure. I do know it is just past the BC border. However if i get it it will not be me picking it up. It will be the friend that told me about it.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 09-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #28

BJs Wholesale sells these....I think for a pretty good price.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:03 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border411 View Post
BJs Wholesale sells these....I think for a pretty good price.

I have found them at some Walfarts as low as $125. Walfart is trying to get rid of them because they say that everyone they sell gets rode hard and returned a few weeks later busted.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:51 PM   #30

I’ve seen the CT100U for $125 at Walmart but not the CT200U.

SamM
2017 Coleman CT200U
1978 Yamaha SR500E