Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 08:28 AM   #1

cruising speed?

Hello All,

I'm a newbie, not only to this forum but to motorcycling. I haven't bought my first bike yet and I'm trying to do as much research as I can before I do. I was hoping I could get some straight up honest answers about these bikes and who better then the people that ride them.
SO here goes, I am a heavier guy( 215 Lbs) and I was wondering if these bike , especially the Zongshen Sierra 200 and UM SMF-200, can be ridden by me at a comfortable cruising speed of 50 MPH, after break-in ofcourse?
I'd probably being cruising at this speed for about an hour, can it be done, or am I asking to much from the machine? If either one of the bike could do it, do I need to get different sprocket sizes? Any info you guys can provide would be very helpful. Thanks

Old 01-05-2007, 08:54 AM   #2

My Lifan 200GY-2 cruises fine at 50mph (~80kph). I'm 6'3" and 205lbs. It all depends on the stock gearing (read: front/rear sprocket ratio). 65mph is really stretching it for me and I wouldn't want to run very long at this speed.

Mine has a 17 tooth front and a 46 tooth rear. Some of the China bikes come geared much lower from the factory. I would check on your gearing; you may need to change to cruise comfortably at 50pmh.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 01-05-2007, 08:55 AM   #3

Hi spanks100
Welcome to ChinaRiders! You will have no problem with either bike you mentioned. Your best bet is to buy it from a legitimate dealer as you will see a bunch oh horror stories on here about buying from the internet. Waiting for paperwork, to title/register the bike etc. etc. I sell American Lifan & United Motors, both of these are Chinese, UM's larger bikes are made in Korea, 250 & up. A. Lifan has a good warranty that they stand behind and so does UM. The UM bikes are a little more pricey but you have a Three Year Warranty with them as long as you keep up with the service that they want done, by a real motorcycle shop.
I sold a few American Lifan's, one to a guy this last spring he weighs in about 220, he loves the bike. I also sold one to blimpman this fall {he is a member here}. I don't sell many of the UM bikes in my area due to the fact that I'm in the country, people here want cheap or free, and they don't want to be bothered with having to take the UM in for an oil change.
Ride Wild & Fly Like an Eagle 8O
Bruce
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 01-05-2007, 09:17 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to RPM
I am a Lifan dealer as Bruce is, but the other names you brought up are good as well. I think Bruce has pretty much stated the warranties on these bikes.

But as far as limitations and cruising, I can say that I keep a Lifan GY200-5 model as a demo and I know for a fact that it will take my 250lbs, down the interstate at 70, but that is pushing it pretty good, so I don't think that there would be a problem cruising at 55 on these bikes, but it will have to do with the gearing setup on each idividual bike as was mentioned.

With a combination of 17 front and 44/46 rear sprocket, you will be able to get the cruising speed that you want for your weight with no problem. These are tough engines and do a good job, whether be it a Zongshen, UM, American Lifan or whichever name you go with.

Just make sure that you have good knowledge about parts availability for your bike, which is the dealer's responsibility if you choose to make your purchase at a dealer. You get a lot of promises on the Net, but there are many stories that say otherwise as you can find on here among other message boards.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:38 AM   #5

Wow! You guys are on the ball here! Hey guys thanks alot, especially for the speedy response. Now I can't wait to get back to the states so I can buy my bike. Thanks again. I've lurked around other forums(research on other bike) and none were ever as quick in responding, actually you'd lucky if they responded at all. You guys represent your bike's well.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:48 AM   #6

Sorry to bug you guys again, but I just went to the UM parts link and it says the SMF200 has a 16 front and 44 rear sprocket. Would that work or would I have to go up one like RPM suggested? I don't know much about the difference in sprocket sizes so sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm just excited about being able to buy one of those two bikes. Thanks

Old 01-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to RPM
That combination with a 200 engine shouldn't be any problem cruising at 55.
Bruce may be better able to answer that for the UM bike, but knowing what the 17/46 does on the Lifan, it seems to be a nice fit for these bikes. Being that they are light and nimble, you wouldn't want to get much faster than 60-65 of any of them.
The 16/44 combination should work out about the same, I don't see a problem to get the performance that you are looking for.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:18 PM   #8

Hello,

This Excell file will calculate the speed in each gear for a given engine RPM if you have the gear ratio info for the bike. My GY200 red lines at about 70mph and will cruise at 60 with a 17 front and 45 rear sprocket.

http://www.box.net/public/h5zjtdu55e

Old 01-06-2007, 02:30 AM   #9

The Zongshen Sierra is sold as the Qlink X-Ranger. One of the members here, 'Beerslayer' (yes, I think I will have one...) bought one of them. Search for his thread and it will (or should) be identical to the Zongshen(as they are the manufacturer).

The UM is much more pricey, but as Bruce stated, has a better warranty.

As far as cruising speed: my Jetmoto came stock with a 15 t front and 56 t rear and screamed for mercy at 50. It wasn't fun...well, actually it was, but I changed the rear to a 44 and it could cruise at 55 and touch 60--it wouldn't go faster, but the motor wasn't screaming, either.

If you buy the UM, you probably wouldn't have to change the sprocket(s)
The Lifan LF200GY-5 is a far cheaper alternative and comes equipped with a 17 t front and 46 t rear which, as Tom and Bruce (both dealers of LIfan) stated should do the 50 mph trick easily.

The Zongshen is apparently a different machine from the common GY's according to what I remember from beerslayer's thread. I think it has more in common with the Yamaha off-road bikes than the more common GY's which share parts from the Honda line. If I remember correctly, the rear sprocket will not take the common replacement rear sprockets that most of us have used. From what I remember, and from what he recently PM'ed me as I was trying to get info on the Zongshen myself, the Zongshen is a high quality machine, but slightly underpowered (not from personal experience, just from his experience).

UM has some good financing on their bike line to help you purchase their enduro according to their site, while the Zongshen is cheaper in price. I don't think that the UM should be overlooked, and just keep it maintained by a dealer, as Bruce stated, and you will have a sweet ride. But we do want personal experiences from you, as well as photos no matter which bike you end up buying...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-06-2007, 03:38 PM   #10

Culcane, when you say underpowered do you know if he(Beerslayer) means it'll only 40 mph MAX or it just slowly gets up to it's top speed? Sorry for the dumb questions, but obviously I'm a newbie and just want to know.Thanks

Old 01-06-2007, 05:08 PM   #11

Spanks, here is a quote directly from his private message to me:

"The Qlink is a nicely finished bike. Best I have seen. That said, it is underpowered. Plan on a bigger carburetor, I don't think rejetting it will do it. If you don't mind having to tweak it, then I would go for it. It is a nice ride. "

I had asked him what he thought of it as I have been contemplating the Zongshen, and figured the Qlink is as close to the Zongshen as I could get an honest opinion on. He has pictures of it in the gallery, too.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-07-2007, 12:26 AM   #12

Well now that the Jetmoto is street legal- I took it for a spin tonite. I told my wife " I need to see how bad this headlight is" Answer is "UPGRADE!!"

Any of *our* dealers stocking a Halogen 45/40 BA20D?

Speed wise I hit about 105kph, around 65mph. I have a 42t on the rear. The smoothest section is 90kph, everything else tends to vibrate a bit. Ran out the main tank so I tested the reserve, made 14km before I hit the gas station- took on 1.2 gallons. In theory I still had 3/4 gallons left.
2006 Jetmoto Enduro
IBA 19,400

Old 01-07-2007, 10:05 PM   #13

i have a roketa db-07a with a zohngsten (sp?) push rod motor in it. i've been breaking it in and today was the first time i really laid into it. it moves out pretty good. still has a 17/56 gear setup but the 42 rear should be here wed. oh yeah, right now it only does about 50 screaming it's ass off. should do well over 70 with the 42 rear though. hope that info helps.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMYStreetRacer
i have a roketa db-07a with a zohngsten (sp?) push rod motor in it. i've been breaking it in and today was the first time i really laid into it. it moves out pretty good. still has a 17/56 gear setup but the 42 rear should be here wed. oh yeah, right now it only does about 50 screaming it's ass off. should do well over 70 with the 42 rear though. hope that info helps.
haha...i had the same exact experience...haha. I am going to go with a 46T in the rear to start out with and see how I like that. I think I willbe content with that for a while.

Old 01-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #15

SO it's pretty much unanimous, 42/44/46 rear and 16/17 front is the way to go for the street?